Looks like some cop has some explaining to do.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Very curious as to the outcome. They have footage of her getting in the van and nobody else around, but you can't open the van doors from the inside either....very strange with more questions than answers so far.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
No foul play. Bad luck for a mentally disturbed/addict looking to sleep. They'll end up paying the family, but it's certainly not related to any police malice.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
and by the time you wake up with heat exhaustion, you may not have the strength to break the windows out. Assuming it was not a fortified cage.
Tragic... but why the hell is there a vehicle you can only open from the outside? As in... why was it unlocked and accessible in the first place? Was the lock broken? Do they just leave death traps open and accessible to the public? Maybe not the wisest policy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
and by the time you wake up with heat exhaustion, you may not have the strength to break the windows out. Assuming it was not a fortified cage.
Tragic... but why the hell is there a vehicle you can only open from the outside? As in... why was it unlocked and accessible in the first place? Was the lock broken? Do they just leave death traps open and accessible to the public? Maybe not the wisest policy.
why couldnt she go back out the same way she got in??

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
It's a police transport van, no way to open from inside.
But it raises the question that wouldn't this policy make the vehicle more prone to car theifs? It also raises the question for why the police not have security around where they park their vehicles? Does the police even use the cameras for security, as it obvious when she got in to the empty vehicle that she was not a police officer, it should have raised an alarm to the officers. Rather they actually did nothing and just sat there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There hasn't been a ton of talk about this in the local area compared to events like when (ex-)Officer Darby killed a man that was threatening suicide, but that's mostly because -- from my understanding -- it has been largely considered a horrible accident and arguably negligence on the side of the police about the van being left unlocked on the outside.

Although, if you want to see some crazy about the police in the Huntsville area, you should read upon the Darby situation. As a very, very quick summary... the officer was the third to arrive on the scene of a man threatening to shoot himself. The man made no violent threat toward the other two officers that arrived first, but Darby escalated it and killed the man. There were signs that evidence was tampered with after the fact as an item was removed from Darby's vehicle. The police and the mayor kept insisting his innocence even after the jury found him guilty of murder, and they kept him on the payroll for months afterward.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and dank69

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
No foul play. Bad luck for a mentally disturbed/addict looking to sleep. They'll end up paying the family, but it's certainly not related to any police malice.
This seems to be the case. I don't think they even have to pay the family. If someone crawled into your car or garage at night and died, are you liable? I don't think so.

Reactions: dank69

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
This seems to be the case. I don't think they even have to pay the family. If someone crawled into your car or garage at night and died, are you liable? I don't think so.
The prosecutor would have the right to ask why you left the garage open with an unlocked car though, not sure if it would help on the claims made by the victims family members.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The prosecutor would have the right to ask why you left the garage open with an unlocked car though, not sure if it would help on the claims made by the victims family members.

What does that have to do with anything. Perfectly legal to leave the garage open and the car unlocked...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I think the fact that a police vehicle is typically very tightly controlled, and often times behind a fence makes a difference. Leaving it unlocked is a side note, why could she even go near it...