Question Looks like I need to (re)design my home network...

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
Between all these recent STAPLES deals regarding Ubiquiti networking deviceS AND all the WALMART MESH ROUTER deals, I am going nuttier!!!

Why?

Simple, I currently have a piecemeal local network that has a BUNCH of devices utilizing it and I know it can run much better for my streaming services AND general Internet access from PC’s, laptops, IPads, cell phones and the like.

My current system comes off the Netgear CM600(?) modem and currently a good router that will be replaced by ONE of FOUR new Mesh systems I have to choose from that I bought from Walmart this past four weeks - need to decide soon on a couple of them before the 30 day return window closes if I need to return. This includes:

Netgear ORBI RBK30
Google WiFi (3 pack) Mesh Router WiFi
Linksys VELOP VLP0203 AC4600
ARRIS Surfboard Max Plus AX7800

As for “some” of the devices that are either cable attached OR on WiFi, they include but are not limited to:

Philipps Hue hub
Samsung SmartThings hub
Two (2) switches (Netgear or TP-Link, not sure which right now but unmanaged...)
Brother printer
Yamaha AV tuner
4K BluRay player (2)
Apple 4K
Nvidia Shield Pro
Samsung QLED
XBOX 1
PlayStation 3
Blink XT cameras
NAS system
Alexa hub
Lenovo 8” Google device
Several PC’s and laptop
And more...

In addition, I bought a couple of Ubiquiti items already, including:

UniFi AP AC LITE (from LaView deal last year)
8 port Managed Switch - 4 PoE (from LaView deal last year)
Ubiquiti UniFi AC Mesh UAPACM (Staples)

So (finally), I need to design a network now and make better use of my resources AND only keep what I need to make it possible.

First off, I have to narrow down the MESH unit I want to keep for myself and then one for my daughter’s house (a separate issue) Originally I was going with the Google WiFi for both of us but then got the VELOP, and then the ARRIS. Now I’m leaning towards keeping the ARRIS, either for me or my daughter, and the VELOP for the other person. That means I have to take back the ORBI and two Google units soon, or sell them.

I have been mulling this over for the past 10 days and still am no closer to resolution. And then start reading about people and the “backhaul”, Coud Keys, POe and AP this and that....well, now I a really confused!!!!

Anyway, I’m sure no one here will resolve my dilemma(s) here but it can’t hurt to share....or can it hurt???

Thanks in advance!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yup. Over-routered. Seen it, done it. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

My experience with using AC68U-family (refurbished) routers, and the AiMesh feature, to implement mesh, on my single-floor small apt with a few rooms, was pretty abysmal. I could only hope any other "mesh" product, that was designed from the ground up for Mesh, would be better than Asus's implementation.

I found that after implementing Mesh, I couldn't reliably back up my PCs using Macrium Reflect Free (its lack of tolerance of dropping network connections for a split-second notwithstanding) any more. So the wired 1GbE-T network got used again.

Maybe AiMesh is better now, or maybe my use of refurbished routers rendered them unreliable over wifi, or maybe Macrium needs to implement some sane time-outs (or MS's CFS/SMB protocol does) to deal with everyday wifi temporary drops. But I was un-impressed with Mesh, for anything more serious than just basic web-browsing. Wired networking for me, please.

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
My biggest concern now is which Mesh WiFi system should I keep for myself and then for my daughter.

My home is smaller BUT is using (currently) a lot more wireless devices AND I stream ALL my TV - a lot in 4K. I recently discovered poor download speeds and lower signal strength in master bedroom and that led me on this merry chase.

At first it seemed to correct itself after a reboot BUT now I can’t be sure if it’s COMCAST, my modem or my router (or even cables). And for anywhere from $75 to $99 more, depending on which system I keep and use, that seems a small price to pay for immediate relief and future protection!

My home is smaller with just two stories but my daughters is two and a basement, with their garage needing WiFi too.

I have to confess that I know little to nothing about networking. In the past I simply bought routers, modems and switches without planning it out. However, in the last year I invested in the Ubiquiti parts simply because others said they were better than sliced bread and they were on sale! I also have at least one PC that I no longer use if I need one to dedicate as a server but (again) I have no idea why or how to do so (embarrassed). I just don’t know where to turn to or who can assist locally as I’m retired now and lost contact with all my prior DP staff Connections...

So, I return here for where I’ve been a part of for a long time...

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
The TP-Link looks promising but as to cost(s), the Google ran $75 each (I have two currently), the Velop ran me $74, the Orbi $99 and the ARRIS was $89 - before taxes.

And I am also trying to set up my children to future proof their home as my daughter now works at home but is really using their internet there due to her position.

As for me, I stream ALL my movies and TV. All.

In addition, I have a lot more smart devices in service and will add more. Plus, the return window for the Ubiquiti devices is long past. I should have mentioned that the ARRIS is WiFi 6 already.

It certainly appears I need a more in depth look at what I need/want and what I already have that can be better put to use!
Does that sound right?

I mean I have a couple of desktop PC’s just laying around too. Maybe set one up as a dedicated server?

im just throwing things out there for discussion purposes but I pretty much have ruled out the ORBI and while the Google devices look like an easy setup, they just might not have the capability to make either of our homes sing so to say...

That leaves the Velop and the ARRIS...and if I want to spend more money...the TO-LINK?

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
When I read the marketing literature for mesh equipment I understand it is meant for households where:
1. Every device is wireless
2. Internet speeds don't exceed ~100mbps
3. Devices don't directly share data with other devices (other than maybe a printer)

I'd quit messing around with the mesh stuff and decide how much you want to spend to make use of the Ubiquiti equipment you can't return. A cheap and cheerful solution would be to buy an inexpensive gigabit capable wifi router and use your existing switches to wire all the devices that need Ethernet then connect your Ubiquiti access points wherever the wifi signal is weak and configure them in standalone mode with an app on your phone. You don't need a Cloudkey server to use the Ubiquiti access points, you do loose some of the features, but for most home users the features are just gimmicks.

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
I should have mentioned that I also have the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Mesh UAP-AC-M 1167 Mbps Single Port Gigabit Ethernet Wireless Access Point too!

Its pretty embarrassing that I bought those first two Ubiquiti devices without what the heck the one was...I know what a switch is at least.

And since I have well in excess off a dozen cabled devices right now connected at my router with two switches, I am looking at another 8- port switch at Staples (Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 US-8-60W 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Managed Switch) to replace one of the plastic Netgear switches currently in use.

I have coupons for Staples so maybe I should also pick up another Ubiquiti device??

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If you already decided that you can't return Ubiquiti stuff, why do you keep buying other brands and trying to integrate them to existing network? What's the point of doing this?

Buying several different systems, trying them all out and return the ones you don't like is not a good behavior in my opinion just for a few dollar differences.

Only you can decide which one you want to keep. No one else can make the decision for you. No one lives in yours and your daughter's houses and no one know how each system will perform in your/her environment.

Each vendor has it's own forum (Ubiquiti has a huge one). If you can't decide what to do, join vendor's forum and ask questions there, you probably will get your answer faster.

Last edited:

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
I just noticed my daughter's home has the ARRIS Surfboard AC1900 SBG6900-AC - which is a combo modem and router.

I have a higher end Linksys router but cant say what the model is as I'm not there!

More later.

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
Finally, as for what my own home router is, it's a Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Router (EA9300). And, it is up to date on its firmware.

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
MXNERD,

Somehow I missed your reply.

I didnt buy all the MESH systems to try them all out, it's been my philosophy to buy first before they disappear from the shelf, research as I am doing here, and then return the ones I wont use or give/sell (at cost) to others.

Obviously the purchase last year of the Ubiquiti devices mentioned earlier wasn't in the same vein but I was hoping either we could use them eventually or someone else could. I'm bad about that but being retired provides ample opportunities to screw up! LOL

So now I have the pieces of a puzzle that i own laid out here and was hoping for guidance on what is a better MESH system - and now the alternative I hadnt even considered, creating a whole new network utilizing the Ubiquiti components I already own.

Again. My primary query initially was, which of the MESH systems I recent bought are better, and better with regard to what i will utilize them for.

However, after just a little reading late last night, I'm still not sure what Ubiquiti components I lack to put together a basic system for either my small abode, or, start on one for my daughter's larger, older home? Call it senility, being too tired or just plain lazy, but reading and watching YouTube's videos on my Samsung Cell after I got home just wore the Hell out of me and added to my consternation/confusion...it showed in that I missed your reply till now!!

And it seems that few have experience with the aforementioned MESH systems, so cant really provide much input on them.

And, no one here makes House Calls to take care of my dilemma(s)! LOL

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, the problem is that even experts have different opinions. Picking one is hard for everyone.

Just see how many mesh system reviews and I'm sure each test result & expert's opinion is different.

Wi-Fi systems depend a lot on your environment, there is no definite answer which will perform better or what is the best value. You can only get a general idea.

Your house's architecture, room layouts, furniture, walls all affect wifi signals. The best one tested in another environment not necessarily will be the best one in your environment.

Regarding Ubiquiti, like I have suggested earlier, join its forum, post yours and your daughter's house layouts and you will get many helps from Ubiquiti owners.

* Each 4K stream only uses about 25 - 30Mbps. *

You have a lot of devices that can stream 4K videos, but how many of them will stream the videos all at once?

Last edited:

zettler

Nov 16, 1999
Thank you again!

And I realize the variety of opinions but some have a hidden agenda buried beneath their review and even comments. HOWEVER, at places like Anandtech I have found more real, hands-on and less biased assistance - that's one primary reason I keep coming back here and have been for more than 20 years!!

I've got till tomorrow to decide on a couple of my purchases (one Google WiFi and the Orbi) so I need to move quick! Being retired doesn't always mean I still do not wait till the last minute.. ;)

zettler

Nov 16, 1999

Well, the problem is that even experts have different opinions. Picking one is hard for everyone.

Just see how many mesh system reviews and I'm sure each test result & expert's opinion is different.

Wi-Fi systems depend a lot on your environment, there is no definite answer which will perform better or what is the best value. You can only get a general idea.

Your house's architecture, room layouts, furniture, walls all affect wifi signals. The best one tested in another environment not necessarily will be the best one in your environment.

Regarding Ubiquiti, like I have suggested earlier, join its forum, post yours and your daughter's house layouts and you will get many helps from Ubiquiti owners.

* Each 4K stream only uses about 25 - 30Mbps. *

You have a lot of devices that can stream 4K videos, but how many of them will stream the videos all at once?

Actually, maybe just one 4K TV as I am alone at home now for first time in many years.

As for Ubiquiti, is this the right forum you all were talking about?

Thank you all AGAIN and I appreciate the input and feedback.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Actually, maybe just one 4K TV as I am alone at home now for first time in many years.

As for Ubiquiti, is this the right forum you all were talking about?

Thank you all AGAIN and I appreciate the input and feedback.

Yeah. That's the right forum. Since you probably will only stream videos on one or two devices, you really don't need that much bandwidth. But you know, the real world bandwidth you get can be a lot less than what vendor claims depending on the environment & devices.

You don't need advanced devices/features for a home environment.

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it can be tough figuring out network design. Personally I would ditch the mesh idea and go with a more traditional wifi+AP approach if you need to cover larger areas that a single router can not. I would highly suggest having just a couple CAT 6a cable runs installed at either house to handle critical locations (i.e. to/from TVs, office, and APs). This way you are not streaming as much video over your wifi.

It is really not that expensive to have a couple lines run and it will greatly improve your performance. Also, for all your IoT devices, you should look at setting up a second VLAN/VAP to isolate them from your regular network (possibly more than 1 VLAN to put devices that need internet access and ones that do not on different ones).

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I know you are all invested in wireless mesh, but can you run a couple of drops to help out? Pushing your entire network through a wireless device will always be frustrating.
I'd find a spot where you can get a vertical cable run through and hang AP's on the end of those runs. TV's and desktops don't move around, so the Mesh features do nothing for you in those instances.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Mesh sounds nice and should be easy. But there are draw backs to it. With each subsequent hop from the backhauled mesh unit the bandwidth is halved. In a small environment it isnt as big a deal. I'd guess at most you will have 3 units with at most 1 hop to the controler\back hauled device. But imo it is more efficient to build out a wireless network where every WAP is backhauled. IMO Ubiquiti fits perfectly into this arena for home users.