Looks like GFWL is being axed too. Will be discontinued July 1st, 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Unlike GFWL, Origin has extremely popular games. It's also quite good as a piece of software.

I'm not saying I like any of those systems, hell I even hate Steam being on my system. Why can't we have Steam/Origin managed solely as a cloud webservice, and not have to install anything other than a little stub locally? It seems like every piece of software in the universe believes that it deserves to run on your system at bootup and ever after. I disable absolutely everything that I can, but poor saps that don't know any better are so sad to see.

"Hey, my i7 is running slow, and I have 16GB of ram!"

Well let's see, you have 73 things starting up every time you start your pc!

h3E8F03BC

AGREE 100% but since it wont happen.. Origin was bad to start, no so bad now I hear, so the software is ok now.. But EA is still EA.. and Im only running one.. Steam wins as so far it hasn't totally screwed companies its acquired, gamer, etc.. and said stuff like" sales devalue software" (and now doing just that) Badmouthing SWNOTR before it was released (John Riccitiello was fired later) etc.. do a few good games really put the blinders on that much? this is the company the stifled any chance of NEW NFL football games, took a few successful small time companies and destroyed um by preaching the almighty buck (westwood, bullfrog, and I could name more).

one good humble bundle sale (which benefits them by adding Origin users) and a software return policy for 10 games (again which benefits them far more then us by adding Origin users) does not overshadow 10 years of EA saying FOOK THE GAMER..

I love a few EA games Deadspace, BF, Crysis.. and have skipped the ORIGIN ones.. maybe i got blinders on.. maybe I'm missing all the good EA has done besides the two listed above.. I am watching, they add more games to the return policy and do a couple mor things to show they care about end users.. maybe mine will come off.

After two games with Uplay (ubisoft) there will be no more on my machine.. even Origin was not this annoying.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Ding dong the Witch is dead, which old witch? The Wicked Witch! Ding dong, the Wicked Witch is dead!

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
This is fantastic as gfwl has been an absolutely painful experience with no benefits to the consumer. Both batman games better get patched because you can't load saved games without being signed in.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Unlike GFWL, Origin has extremely popular games. It's also quite good as a piece of software.

More importantly, EA can't afford to screw over PC gamers the way Microsoft repeatedly does. PC gaming makes EA almost a billion dollars a year. That's not much to MS, but it's vital to EA.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

I'm not saying I like any of those systems, hell I even hate Steam being on my system. Why can't we have Steam/Origin managed solely as a cloud webservice, and not have to install anything other than a little stub locally? It seems like every piece of software in the universe believes that it deserves to run on your system at bootup and ever after. I disable absolutely everything that I can, but poor saps that don't know any better are so sad to see.

"Hey, my i7 is running slow, and I have 16GB of ram!"

Well let's see, you have 73 things starting up every time you start your pc!

Origin has EA's AAA titles. Battlefield, Mass Effect, The Sims, thats why its popular. But thats pretty much all it has. And I'm fairly certain their sales completely vanish every time Steam has a sale. :p

To your other comment, I've a ton of things that load at login, but it doesn't slow down my Sandy i5 and 16GB of RAM. Heck, most of the time, I'm only using 1/3rd of the RAM. And thats with Chrome constantly open with 30 tabs. Takes a few extra seconds when I reboot, but thats really only an issue on patch days.
That said, I've caught the Origin client using 70% of my CPU cycles and ~2GBs of RAM by itself on multiple occasions. What its doing, I've no idea. I only own about 4 games through it, 3 of which were purchased on previous EA digital store generations or B&M.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
A deleted tweet says Dark Souls getting patched to Steamworks.
That's great, but what about the rest? I can't see them going back and patching the likes of Halo 2, for example.

This is why I dislike DRM, especially cloud based DRM. The pirates won't be affected anyway.

(Not directed at you specifically, just throwing it out there).

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Good riddance, I say. The only things I like from it are the scrolling sound and blue theme. Everything else, including the damned installation, was just horrible.

It probably succeeded more at discouraging people from playing legitimately purchased games than anything else.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Good riddance, I say. The only things I like from it are the scrolling sound and blue theme. Everything else, including the damned installation, was just horrible.

It probably succeeded more at discouraging people from playing legitimately purchased games than anything else.

I remember Age of Empires III was on sale for ten cents but I didn't get it because it needed GFWL.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
To your other comment, I've a ton of things that load at login, but it doesn't slow down my Sandy i5 and 16GB of RAM. Heck, most of the time, I'm only using 1/3rd of the RAM. And thats with Chrome constantly open with 30 tabs. Takes a few extra seconds when I reboot, but thats really only an issue on patch days.

Yeah, I really couldn't care less what starts up on my PC*. Once you get a SSD, those random accesses are no longer so much of a problem. I think the anti-startup sentiment originates from when anyone was conscripted to clean a family member's adware-laden computer. Why do they need fifteen different weather apps? Who knows! :p

* Note: Just because I know someone will make a snarky remark, obviously, I am referring to normal programs and not malware. :p

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is there a list of the MS inhouse titles to be lost with this?

Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania
Zoo Tycoon 2: Zookeeper Collection
Age of Empires III: Gold Edition
Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
Gears of War
Halo 2 for Windows Vista
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
Shadowrun
Viva Piñata for Windows
Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition
Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection
Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection
Microsoft Tinker
CarneyVale: Showtime
Game Room
Age of Empires Online
Fable III
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Iron Brigade
Microsoft Flight
Toy Soldiers
Ms. Splosion Man

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I would so love if they retroactively gutted that crap from existing games like Bioshock, Arkham, SF4, etc..

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
That's great, but what about the rest? I can't see them going back and patching the likes of Halo 2, for example.

This is why I dislike DRM, especially cloud based DRM. The pirates won't be affected anyway.

(Not directed at you specifically, just throwing it out there).

What? Your post makes no sense.
It's great that Dark Souls will be patched to Steamworks, yet you dislike DRM, especially cloud based DRM?
Going from one online DRM system to another is great?
Great would be patching out the online DRM.

Anyone celebrating the fact that games are being patched to Steamworks is doing it wrong.
Celebrations should be where games are patched out of any online DRM, especially when it comes to single player focused games like the Batman games.
They are just deferring the problem until Steam gets shut down instead.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
And after I just finally got Bioshock 2 working lol. Oh well, I'll finish it before it's discontinued; probably better in the long run for it to be out of the race as it were.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
There are ways to fix this, but, you can also bet that the publishers will not do anything special.
This is all up to MS to fix.

How do they fix it ? Simple, they release a new dll package that turns off all the encrypted crap and basically force everyone to 'offline' mode.
If they don't turn off the encryption crap, then you can't use your savegames on another computer.
Will they do this ? I am thinking no, MS is in a power struggle, and nobody knows who is in charge, since they are getting pulled in lots of different directions.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Only thing I ever used it for was to buy Fallout 3 expansions... what a rip-off. I still have points on there because I had to buy them with points and the points only came in set amounts........

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Only thing I ever used it for was to buy Fallout 3 expansions... what a rip-off. I still have points on there because I had to buy them with points and the points only came in set amounts........

heh i know, and to top it off, i bought the GTYE on Steam when it as on in the summer sale

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
There are ways to fix this, but, you can also bet that the publishers will not do anything special.
This is all up to MS to fix.

How do they fix it ? Simple, they release a new dll package that turns off all the encrypted crap and basically force everyone to 'offline' mode.
If they don't turn off the encryption crap, then you can't use your savegames on another computer.
Will they do this ? I am thinking no, MS is in a power struggle, and nobody knows who is in charge, since they are getting pulled in lots of different directions.

Actually it would be up to the Developer, but MS could in theory do it as well, some sort of generic patch to do what you suggest with the offline mode.

I know there are some games that have a patched GFWL DLL that will not load it for the game

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well MS didn't even bother making GFWL work with Windows 8 without some Googling and roundabout working so I'm not surprised that they've left it down to the Game Devs to sort out.

Now I doubt I'll play DoW2+CR again. Relic aren't likely to patch out GFWL and MS won't fix GFWL for Win 8 so yeah :D Happy days that it's doing one.