Looks like an accurate slide for 6970/Cayman specs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
Well you also remember, rice people tend to also buy cars with option packages that exist. For example Supercharger+dealer install+12 month warranty+automatic does no exist anywhere in Ford's policies.

:hmm:

If you feel a post crossed the line and violates the forum guidelines then it behooves you, and any member of the community, to report the post as such.

Look for this icon in the lower-left corner area of the post in question:

In the comment box make your case, it is logged into a special sub-forum that only the mods can see.

We will investigate the reported post and mete out warnings or infractions if warranted, or close the case if it is inactionable.

If you don't want to formally report the post then we expect you to confine your challenges to the non-technical aspects of the post to private messaging.

Challenging the poster publicly is not acceptable as such public challenges generally serve as thread-derail or flamebait which escalates into non-constructive dialogue.

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
Personally, as someone who reads benchmarks/reviews simply to help me choose my next card I'm happy to include a factory-overclocked card so long as it's widely available and clearly distinguished. I simply consider it a "460.5" product option, since usually the price and performance means it is differentiated from the other choices.

I also like to look up benchmarks for DIY overclocked cards, provided the OC is easily obtainable. I tend to add a conservative OC when my card/cpu is nearing the end of it's life, if there is significant gains to be had. It's not a priority though and only likely to sway my choice if it's otherwise a dead heat, so perhaps better left to a dedicated article.

Feb 19, 2009
30% in DX9/10 seems a bit conservative..

80TMU -> 120 TMU (50% more)
ROPS internally are 2x that of 5870
850 -> 900 MHz core clock
320 -> 480 SIMDs (50% more)
1GB -> 2GB RAM

Even ignoring tesselation, that's some serious improvements. So unless memory bandwidth is a serious bottleneck (wasn't the case w/ the 5870s), we should see quite an increase in DX9/10

Powercolor already publicly said the new Caymans are 30-50% faster than "previous" gen (we can speculate what "previous" gen means, could be barts but cypress fits that bill better, barts is 6k gen). At 50% over cypress means its faster than gtx580. At 30% over cypress means its ~similar. AIB rumors suggest cayman pro is ~similar to gtx580, that puts pro at 30% over cypress and xt at 50%.

That's NOT outside the range of an OC gtx580, depending on how well they can OC.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Silverforce11

What I find odd is that its Powercolour that goes out and gives a 30-50% performance increase over the 5870 for the 6950-6970. They know this might effect sales,... keep a few from buying nvidia products now and waiting longer for the amd ones.

Why hasnt Amd done any such claims?

I ll be fun to see if their claims hold any merit.

if the 6950 is 30% faster than the 5870.
if the 6970 is 50% faster than the 5870.

I think a 50% increase of a 5870 would put it ahead of a 580.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
-[if the 6970 is 50% faster than the 5870.]

-running with the big chip rumor-

could be more if they wanted the single gpu crown ,with a big chip ,they could have not scaled down the 40-32nm shrink , kept the same apox. spec. on a bigger chip ?

"C" hinted nv blamed ati's delay on the fact they can,t get good yields from a big chip like nv can ?.then stated yields are good .
-the 4870 almost became a big chip monster ,but at the time ati needed to play it safe
so they made it small. if I remember correctly.
-also some one stated the 5970 didn't make money[with the single card crown] so maybe this time they went with the big chip and crown maybe.[nv all ready on a big chip ,so no come back] if so where dose that put the 6990 ?[580 sli range ?]