Looking to upgrade with reutilizing parts

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Been out the game for a while. Want to get a budget upgrade as all I do is web and office tools. My video is starting to black out and think it may be the card. My main question is can I reutilize this power supply below? Seems I need to get CPU, RAM, motherboard, and dvd rom drive due to everything moving to SATA. Can someone answer this PS question and part out a cheap system for me that is not junk. Appreciate all who post.

Current Power supply below:
FSP Group AX500-A 500W ATX12V Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817104934

Current processor below:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor ADO4600CUBOX is my current

Will I see a reasonable speed improvement?

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, you can reuse that PSU. It's much more powerful than you need, given that your new system will use integrated graphics (web and office tools don't need dedicated, you'd be just wasting watts).

Could you be more specific about your budget?

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
About $300-500. I suppose if I can save money on electricity it may be best to change the Power supply and the supply can pay for itself in the long run. Will I see a performance increase? Case and hard drives will be reutilized.

Last edited:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Yes there will definitely be a performance increase, dependent heavily on what taxes your current computer the most...

My opinion, a SSD is the single biggest performance increase available today. There's nothing sweeter than pushing the power button, and having the desktop before you can get your slippers on :)

Don't worry about your PSU being 'overkill', the computer only uses what it needs and no more, theoretically you could have a 1500w PSU and use almost no more electricity... The reason it comes up is usually due to efficiency at low power levels... PSU's are most efficient at 50% of their rated capacity (250w for yours). There's no way your system could reach 250w, however, so essentially it is running at less than maximum efficiency.

But we're splitting hairs here, so it's not a concern :)

Are your harddrives SATA or IDE?

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
all hard drives SATA..... I recently got a SSD which is a patriot torqx2 64 GB ssd. Keep in mind this is only a SATA2 drive. My applications open much faster now with the SSD.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Since you already own SSD, HDD's, case and PSU, and the tasks you describe are not CPU or GPU intensive, you won't even need to spend $300 to get a PC that is easily capable enough for years to come

Intel BOXDH67GDB3 $90
PNY 2x4GB DDR3 1333 $38 or Mushkin $39
Intel i3-2100 $125 (-$15 promo, ends today)
Lite-On DVD burner $18

= $271

An i5 class CPU would be overkill even though within your budget. If you want, you can upgrade your case to something nicer with the leftover money. Is your current case still in good condition, and is it quiet?

Last edited:

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
One concern I have is the microAtx motherboard. Anything to worry regarding this form factor?

Yeah my case is quiet. I have an Antec similar to a Sonanta case w 120mm fans. Pretty quiet and will be quieter when I do not have a video card fan.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
One concern I have is the microAtx motherboard. Anything to worry regarding this form factor?

Yeah my case is quiet. I have an Antec similar to a Sonanta case w 120mm fans. Pretty quiet and will be quieter when I do not have a video card fan.

How many expansion cards do you foresee yourself using? Most people its just the Video card. In that case all you really need is mATX.

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Pulled the trigger. Got the Biostar TH67+ with the i3 and pny ram. THanks to all!!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Would've gotten the Intel board. Better connectivity, Intel's own network controller, no rebate hassle.

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Just wanted to update the thread. Got the system built and software finally loaded. Build ultimately went well and can definite notice a speed increase. This is my first Intel chip since the PIII. Kind of feel guilty in a way, but hopefully AMD will step their game up. Thanks for all your help.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Damn, wish I could have gotten here sooner and recommend an i3-2125! It's essentially the same chip, but with twice the graphics performance.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Damn, wish I could have gotten here sooner and recommend an i3-2125! It's essentially the same chip, but with twice the graphics performance.

It costs $150 or $40 more than the i3-2100 was after promo. Maybe not worth it considering the op doesn't do anything gpu-intensive. If he needs more GPU power in the future, that $40 can be put towards a discrete GPU

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Just wanted to update the thread. Got the system built and software finally loaded. Build ultimately went well and can definite notice a speed increase. This is my first Intel chip since the PIII. Kind of feel guilty in a way, but hopefully AMD will step their game up. Thanks for all your help.

Glad you like it!