Question Looking to upgrade ISP's router (BT Smart Hub) with 802.11ax router

King Mustard

Jan 5, 2002
We have a BT Smart Hub (sometimes called the Home Hub 6), which was released in 2016.

The BT Smart Hub Wikipedia article tells me the modem is "VDSL2".

I am looking to replace it with something more capable and future-proof.

I don't want to pay over £100.

I believe these are my options:
Does anyone have any thoughts?

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
The word seems to be "augment", not "replace".

The Hub has integrated functions:
* VDSL2-Ethernet modem
* WiFi Access Point (AP)
* Switch for multiple Ethernet ports
* Router between WAN and LAN subnets

Your options have lack the modem and focus on the AP, so you will continue to need the modem of the Hub (unless ISP changes how they deliver).
Wikipedia lists "Reported issues" for BT Hubs, so it does make sense to use only modem in it. The question is, does the Hub support disabling AP and router in it to act only as a "Bridge"?

King Mustard

Jan 5, 2002
The word seems to be "augment", not "replace".

The Hub has integrated functions:
* VDSL2-Ethernet modem
* WiFi Access Point (AP)
* Switch for multiple Ethernet ports
* Router between WAN and LAN subnets

Your options have lack the modem and focus on the AP, so you will continue to need the modem of the Hub (unless ISP changes how they deliver).
Wikipedia lists "Reported issues" for BT Hubs, so it does make sense to use only modem in it. The question is, does the Hub support disabling AP and router in it to act only as a "Bridge"?
I appreciate your response!

If the router would also need to include a modem, ax will be out of my budget and I really don't want to keep the BT router in play, even in bridge mode.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
What's your VDSL2 speed? And if you don't do device to device data transmission on your LAN, what's the point upgrading the router?

Also as others have said, you can only use the standard wifi router to add to your existing modem router gateway and use it as access point, not replacing existing one.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Logically, there are multiple setup options. For example:
Code:
1. WAN(vsdl)----(modem)Hub(router)===LAN===AP....WiFi client

2. WAN(vsdl)----modem===WAN===Router===LAN
                                AP....WiFi client

3. WAN(vsdl)----modem===WAN===Router===LAN===AP....WiFi client

4. WAN(vsdl)----(modem)Hub(router)===fakeLAN===Router(+AP)===realLAN
The #1 merely adds a better AP to LAN.
The #2 uses Hub as only a modem.
The #3 has every function in separate device.
The #4 probably has double-NAT

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I agree with others, unless you can find a model with a built-in modem, you're going to need to keep it (rent) for bridging and be adding a wireless router.

Unless your local devices are really needing higher-bandwidth that the current BT device can't provide, it might very well be a waste of money. Though from what I've heard about those BT AIO's, I can see why you would like to remove it.