Looking to spend ~$200 New/Used.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
This is a forum, if you don't have a proper counter argument then i suggest you try another topic or just chill.

You're kidding right? I don't think you understand what the word opinion means. Here's a clue - by definition opinions aren't right or wrong.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
You're kidding right? I don't think you understand what the word opinion means. Here's a clue - by definition opinions aren't right or wrong.

Wrong again
Stop thinking you know what others are capable of and address the topic at hand. You're threadcrapping as you always do.

Like said, if you aren't capable of counter mine or tential's posts just give up.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014

Nobody disputes (or actually cares, it's basically irrelevant) what HTPC means to you, they're disputing that it's the mainstream definition or even a common one.

Reactions: Grazick

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I know what you mean though. When you put IMO, IMHO, doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, in fact, it might be wrong but not for you. It's your bloody opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. In your world, this is how it should be. I hate when people are trying to get inside other peopels brain/world. Not nice.

Just saying. Carry on.

Last edited:

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IMHO a desktop pc connected to a tv isn't a HTPC. HTPC has a specific meaning i.e. a case that fits in an entertainment center, ir or bt remote, quite operation etc.

By that definition you need a mini card.
Well, by my definition, an HTPC is a PC that is dedicated to HT duties. Hence the acronym HTPC. There's nothing there that says it must be a miniature PC. My HTPC is a mid-tower case, with nice quiet fans and a full size 7770 video card. Works just fine for HT duties in my living room. If I wanted to game on it as well, I could swap in a faster video card without any problems whatsoever.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
My HTPC is just a machine I tossed my old parts into as I upgrade that I let guests use and use for HTPC since its hooked up to my home theater receiver and HDTV.

Not particularly small, quiet, or anything else like that. I still think its an HTPC because its a PC I attach to my HT.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Wrong again
Stop thinking you know what others are capable of and address the topic at hand. You're threadcrapping as you always do.

Like said, if you aren't capable of counter mine or tential's posts just give up.

The only reason why you keep telling me to counter your posts is becuase you're trying to win an argument.

The point you are missing is there isn't an argument to be won.

Do you honestly beleive you are going to change what I feel a HTPC is? Why is what I think so important to you?

Let it go man.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Back to topic,

If I were the OP, I'd just scan slickdeals for 970 offerings, quite regularly I see the deals at around ~$250. Not exactly $200 but close enough, and worth it, imo.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
image.jpg

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
It's only 1 subwoofer. The one on the left is my HTPC, about the same size as my samsung subwoofer which is on the right side with the PS4 sitting on it. The center channel speaker is right below the TV. The front and rear speakers are near the ceiling (firing downward).

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
It's only 1 subwoofer. The one on the left is my HTPC, about the same size as my samsung subwoofer which is on the right side with the PS4 sitting on it. The center channel speaker is right below the TV. The front and rear speakers are near the ceiling (firing downward).

People think I had dual subs too and mistook my HTPC as a second sub. I'm not sure why, my bright red sub would not have a tiny black sub as a friend. Only another ridiculously candy paint sub would accompany him.

I think that answers the HTPC size question, lolll.

Hey, I don't have a quadfire setup, I sunk my cash into my home theater. That's my love is home theater. I need multiple PCs to poweor my home theater so that's why I am always on hardware so much.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
People think I had dual subs too and mistook my HTPC as a second sub. I'm not sure why, my bright red sub would not have a tiny black sub as a friend. Only another ridiculously candy paint sub would accompany him.

Give me a break. my eyes are shitty:p.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hey, I don't have a quadfire setup, I sunk my cash into my home theater. That's my love is home theater. I need multiple PCs to poweor my home theater so that's why I am always on hardware so much.

Hi tential, my comment had nothing to do with you my friend ;) But listening to you make me want to get a great HTPC rig. :D

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Hi tential, my comment had nothing to do with you my friend ;) But listening to you make me want to get a great HTPC rig. :D

With all those cards, you can retire some of them to HTPC duty?

Like imagine having 2 windows VMs in a server running 2 Crossfire builds for Medium/High 4K gaming. And have 2 relatively cheap 4K monitors next to eachother.

Ya... there are a lot of stupidly excessive possibilities. But I mean, that's the fun of it right?

Ya, we'll see if I can afford up to 4 cards next gen for 4K gaming, or if I need/want that many. I just have an obsession with 4K though.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Saxy.what are those subs?.speakers?.where have you hidden them?:p.

The speakers must be tiny and close to the roof maybe

Hey Noo, i would place the PS4 somewhere else. Subs generate vibrations, guess not too good for spinning disks.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@Noo

I have the same touch keyboard and a WMC remote. Works great for movies and occasional typing/browsing on a couch.

2vkkqqe.jpg

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I have that same keyboard for my HTPC setup as well, K400? I will soon be moving into a new home and got a 4K TV, so I think its time for me to build a new HTPC... Unfortunately, my HT receiver is not 4K capable, so I either need to upgrade that or use ARC out on my TV.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
The speakers must be tiny and close to the roof maybe

Hey Noo, i would place the PS4 somewhere else. Subs generate vibrations, guess not too good for spinning disks.

I'll try and see if it will fit on top of the htpc.

As far as the wmc remote, does it work like a mouse?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I'll try and see if it will fit on top of the htpc.

As far as the wmc remote, does it work like a mouse?

No, but there are those that you can use that do work as an air mouse. No idea how that's supposed to work. There are tons of remotes you can use though, onces with mini keyboards/touchpads for example. You can also use your phone as a remote using intel's remote keyboard.

This is an AMAZING option I suggest you try it out.