Looking to SLI 1G 460GTX

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
I have a brand that I can't locate anymore as I snagged it off of Newegg and pretty sure I got some OEM equipment from a company named ECS, either way its still blazing along chewing up anything I throw at it.

Looking to add another since I've upgraded and can SLI now.

Will this be compatible? --> Link <-- Refurbished ASUS ENGTX460 1GB

Or should I spend a bit more and just buy a 600 series?

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
i think you should go for a GTX 670

That's $380 /w BL2 for a reference card.

OP you can probably get around $100 for your GTX 460.

Do you actually need more gpu performance, or do you just want it? If you don't actually need it I'd suggest just wanting out this round, if you need it I would sell your 460 and buy a GTX 660/TI or 78xx.

I would also buy used well before I bought refurbished, most 460s will have at least a year of warranty left, while a refurbished card will only have a 90 day warranty.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
you MIGHT get 100 on FS/FT forums...

The GTX460 is one of those cards where the prices bottomed out pretty fast and held at a steady 80-100 dollars despite its stellar performance.

I got 2x GTX460 (768MB versions but honestly in SLI I don't see the difference between it and 1 gig) and I struggled for a while to find a way to upgrade and get a big boost in performance without putting down substantially more money.

I ended up just saying "fvck it, push my cards as long as possible"

OP, what are your games that you play? Can you find benchmarks with a GTX460 SLI (768 & 1 gig should be similar performers) and see if it satisfies that? To get another 460 will cost you about 100 dollars....'spending a bit more' will involve you spending at least 300 dollars to get something that is a worthwhile upgarde over what you have.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you MIGHT get 100 on FS/FT forums...

The GTX460 is one of those cards where the prices bottomed out pretty fast and held at a steady 80-100 dollars despite its stellar performance.

I got 2x GTX460 (768MB versions but honestly in SLI I don't see the difference between it and 1 gig) and I struggled for a while to find a way to upgrade and get a big boost in performance without putting down substantially more money.

I ended up just saying "fvck it, push my cards as long as possible"

OP, what are your games that you play? Can you find benchmarks with a GTX460 SLI (768 & 1 gig should be similar performers) and see if it satisfies that? To get another 460 will cost you about 100 dollars....'spending a bit more' will involve you spending at least 300 dollars to get something that is a worthwhile upgarde over what you have.
you must not be playing many modern games if you think 768mb is enough. my card is barely as fast as a single gtx460 but plenty of games go well past 768mb on playable settings. having twice the gpu power and only 768mb would limit the heck out of settings that much gpu power is capable of in many games.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
You don't need to run every game maxxed. It's just a waste a high or very high won't be noticable to you in any game. As long as you only use 4x TXAA 1GB is more than enough to run any game especially on a 22" LCD like mine at 1680x1050.

Grab a 2nd GTX 460.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I ran a gtx 460 dual setup for some time, plenty fast but the frame buffer *SUCKS* in new games, seriously it just kills performance once you start hitting frame buffer limitations. Then of course you've got games that run at 100+ fps with 1 460 so you have to disable sli or you'll throw to many frames at your CPU and performance will once again get bad. If you're willing to deal with the same texture settings you're using now it's definitely a crap ton faster in games that scale well, which isn't many in the long run. That being said I'd be using SLI right now if my card wasn't such a power hog.

Using stock cooling I'd imagine those 460's will cook on top of eachother so make sure you have decent cooling in your case.

j03h4gLund

Nov 8, 2010
I play Guild Wars 2 which runs okay, would be nice to be able to run supersampling though without any glitching. Also I preordered Medal of Honor Warfighter, which also grants me Battlefield 4 beta, so yea... there ya have it.

I'm thinking of ridding the 460GTX and going with 600 series, even tho it has ran like a champ... thinking of holding out a couple months for my favorite time of the year, Black Friday.

Thanks for the replies, gives me a better idea of where the market is and how my card is holding up in the test of time.