Looking to sell gear...

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm looking to sell my 80d and eos r, but don't want to deal with private (I know you usually get the most via private, just don't really want to deal with the hassle). With that said, where have you guys sold your used gear? I've sold before on B&H and it was ok, but curious where else people have sold.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just sold an OM-D EM-5 Mark II body on ebay with a couple extra batteries. Sold quick, got the price I wanted, buyer paid fast, had good rep, no problems. Just do ebay dude. You'll get value.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
i used to sell stuff on ebay but that was a long time ago. I bet the procedure has changed since then.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Maybe I'll give ebay a shot. Never done it before. I got a quote from KEH and it wasn't that great.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Sold local on FB. Used to use Craigslist a lot way back, then eBay a good bit as well, then got into mostly buying on forums and finally did a good amount of selling on FB. Took a bit of effort to find someone that seemed trustworthy for a camera body sale on FB, but my experience on eBay hasn't been good either with lowballers and lots of shady weirdos asking for off-site deals or asking for shipments to be sent to foreign addresses.

Fred Miranda has an active community for Photographers including a Buying/Selling board, but I haven't really tried it. Heatware is sort of slow, but I've gotten some bites there.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've probably sold like 12 things on eBay this year. Two Xboxes, the camera I mentioned, a Panasonic lens, five watches, a couple small things.

I did get some messages about shipping overseas or getting low-ball offers. Just ignore the noise. I discovered if your price is fair it goes well.

FB marketplace is a good suggestion. I sold a couple Bluetooth speakers there this year and a Keurig machine. Cash though.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
eBay is great with two exceptions, items that don't sell require a relist fee (sometimes? ) and ebay/paypal take a % of your earnings (along with strange returns and scams which i really dont worry about.)

so ebay is good except shipping/ fees.
offerup/craigslist/fb could work great depending on your location and free time (meeting at the police station parking lot could be close or far :) )

A camera body also would steer me toward a online sale as i feel most people dont shop on craigslist / offerup for that type.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
eBay is great with two exceptions, items that don't sell require a relist fee (sometimes? ) and ebay/paypal take a % of your earnings (along with strange returns and scams which i really dont worry about.)

so ebay is good except shipping/ fees.
offerup/craigslist/fb could work great depending on your location and free time (meeting at the police station parking lot could be close or far :) )

A camera body also would steer me toward a online sale as i feel most people dont shop on craigslist / offerup for that type.
eBay stopped using PayPal and deposits the payments directly into your account now after their cut.

Reactions: killster1

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well we all know the fee didn't disappear just not a PayPal fee a double ebay fee then
You think eBay should give your shit a massive global platform and backend to sell your shit on without taking a fee?

You really thought that one through there

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You think eBay should give your shit a massive global platform and backend to sell your shit on without taking a fee?

You really thought that one through there
thanks for the insults ;) if you pay ebay double or paypal and ebay single is really irrelevant thanks for that tho. My point still stands, ebay is fee's but possibly quicker and broader market, local takes longer and is a physical risk. It also depends on location too if you can even sell local or not.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
thanks for the insults ;) if you pay ebay double or paypal and ebay single is really irrelevant thanks for that tho. My point still stands, ebay is fee's but possibly quicker and broader market, local takes longer and is a physical risk. It also depends on location too if you can even sell local or not.

What's your point? You made a really silly observation that one has to pay a fee to eBay is bad

Well we all know the fee didn't disappear

Like what do you expect to happen? There is no double fee, there is one eBay fee. There is only an additional fee on auctions like over 5-10K, depending on category. This does not affect the vast vast majority of users/transactions.

Of course you can sell local, I do as well, but to expect a massive platform providing you a big market to sell on and also providing the back-end and not take a fee is ridiculous.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
What's your point? You made a really silly observation that one has to pay a fee to eBay is bad

Like what do you expect to happen? There is no double fee, there is one eBay fee. There is only an additional fee on auctions like over 5-10K, depending on category. This does not affect the vast vast majority of users/transactions.

Of course you can sell local, I do as well, but to expect a massive platform providing you a big market to sell on and also providing the back-end and not take a fee is ridiculous.
thanks for that brilliant breakdown, seems like you could be angry today about something else.