Question Looking to get an iPad

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Looking at all the option for an iPad, I'm stuck between getting just a simple iPad 256GB or an iPad Pro 11" 256GB (either current or previous gen). Is there any benefit in going with the M1 Pro or is held back by iPadOS? If I'm able to use it more like a Macbook Air then I can see going that route, but it doesn't sound like Apple is looking to give it MacOS or anything close to it. Otherwise, it will be down to a cheaper iPad or maybe a refurb 11" Pro to get the 120hz display.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
What are you looking to do with the iPad? I personally really love my Pro, but they've closed the gap significantly with the Air and Just iPad lines.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
What are you looking to do with the iPad? I personally really love my Pro, but they've closed the gap significantly with the Air and Just iPad lines.

Mostly media consumption unless they can truly handle editing documents (Excel, Powerpoint, Word or Google equivalents), coding and video editing. If the later aren't fully fictional, then I will stick to media consumption and always have a laptop with me.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'd go for the iPad Air, or maybe the standard iPad. Apple continues to evolve iPadOS into a more capable platform and there are some content creators out there who use it professionally. I've never heard of anyone doing coding on an iPad's 11" screen. It'd be somewhat awkward even on the 12.9" monster.

The 9th gen iPad has 3GB of RAM so it will experience more memory pressure than the Air or Pro.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Mostly media consumption unless they can truly handle editing documents (Excel, Powerpoint, Word or Google equivalents), coding and video editing. If the later aren't fully fictional, then I will stick to media consumption and always have a laptop with me.
Since they've added (basic) cursor support, iPadOS has really come a long way toward being a capable editing machine. I've used my iPad Pro to record and edit podcasts, and I've done a little bit of video editing as well in LumaFusion. I don't code, so have no idea what if any apps may be out there for that sort of thing.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I got the Pro 11 recently and love it. Didn’t think it would be such a nice upgrade from my Mini, but it really is. Primarily due to the speakers and I can basically use the onscreen keyboard somewhat similar to an actual keyboard as finger placement is closer to natural.

I doubt the latest model is needed though. Also I can’t recommend the regular iPad, the non-laminated screen really is a sub par experience compared to a laminated one. I don’t know if it’s true, but I heard the Air has also had a negative change in the screen implementation. The Mini was just fine though (had 4th and 5th gen).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I actually picked up the 11 Pro a few days ago after weighing all the options. My thought is that M1 should be viable for a good amount of time. Also got the pen which offers a good amount of precision for drawing and note taking. The screen is good enough and the speakers are good for a tablet. It is a shame that iPadOS is holding it back but that’s somewhat expected when it was meant for phone processors and not the laptop/desktop SoC.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I actually picked up the 11 Pro a few days ago after weighing all the options. My thought is that M1 should be viable for a good amount of time. Also got the pen which offers a good amount of precision for drawing and note taking. The screen is good enough and the speakers are good for a tablet. It is a shame that iPadOS is holding it back but that’s somewhat expected when it was meant for phone processors and not the laptop/desktop SoC.

I look at it this way: the iPad is moving faster toward laptop replacement status than Windows PCs are toward replacing tablets. As far as Apple has to go with its OS, you can see big strides in recent years — and the M1 offers laptop power while still managing healthy battery life. Windows 11 still doesn't seem like much of a move toward a true finger-friendly UI, and x86 chips just aren't that well-suited to tablets (and let's not get into the horror show that is Windows on ARM).

I don't know that you'll move your computing to an iPad in the next few years, but I have more confidence in Apple's progress than Microsoft's at the moment.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I look at it this way: the iPad is moving faster toward laptop replacement status than Windows PCs are toward replacing tablets. As far as Apple has to go with its OS, you can see big strides in recent years — and the M1 offers laptop power while still managing healthy battery life. Windows 11 still doesn't seem like much of a move toward a true finger-friendly UI, and x86 chips just aren't that well-suited to tablets (and let's not get into the horror show that is Windows on ARM).

I don't know that you'll move your computing to an iPad in the next few years, but I have more confidence in Apple's progress than Microsoft's at the moment.

I can see it happening when the Pro models are a physical keyboard away from being a MacBook Air and has an actual touchscreen. Just at the MagicKeyboard and you are pretty much there.