looking to get a grill

pmark

Oct 11, 1999
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a grill, but I don't want to spend the money right now and get a Webber. What are some other good ones that are in the $100-200 range? Or does it even matter what one?

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Martha Stewart says that a kettle style Weber charcoal grill was only about $140.

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
The current Consumer Reports tests some grills out. In a nutshell: They're virtually all the same. The # of burners is important and the BTU rating, but other than that I really don't see why you'd want to buy a Weber. BBQ's are extremely simple devices.

Charcoal grills sort of suck because they create lots and lots of ash... very annoying to clean.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Jeepers, I was just talking about this yesterday. My final thoughts were to buy just the grill and bricks and build one.

pmark

Oct 11, 1999
Yea I thought that at around $350 for a Webber was a little over kill. Fire is fire right?

I agree with Shazam that Charcoal grills are a pain to clean because of all of the ash.

Shazam, what is a good number of burners and BTU rating?

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
I bought an el cheapo from Sam's for about 100 bucks a year ago and it still does a number on meat. I figured that since it would stay out in the weather it didn't make any sense to put anymore into one than I had to.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
don't worry about getting one with a viewing plate, but the heat guage sometimes is nice. The external side burner comes in handy alot of times. If you like to cook get the added racks on the inside; makes it very easy to keep stuff warm while you finish cooking other items. Unless you're just cooking for small meals, get a large grill. And I have found that you get what you pay for. Some friends opted for a less expensive unit and wound up replacing the burners in a year, then the hinges self-destructed. Webber and Char-broil are solid units. Hope this helps.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You're talking about a damn gas grill aren't ya?
  • BLECH! :|
Weber is the way to go, but get the charcoal version. Buy the "Smokey Joe" for just a couple burgers or steaks.

I've got the full size Weber Kettle, Smokey Joe and a friggen Thermos gas grill. Gas grills SUCK! Hah, here's what happened to mine:

The Grilling Gods Smote My Gas Grill!
http://www.buckeyeweb.com/braden/Impact.htm

There is no way I would put a good piece of meat on a gas grill. And it takes the same amount of time to cook with the charcoal as the gas. Its just that you have to fire the charcoal up 45 minutes ahead of time. I won't even use lighter fluid on it because the smell of it lingers. I use a propane torch to start the coals. Quick as a wink. No trouble at all.

...a hot new line of grills...
http://www2.weberbbq.com/Public_Weber/grills/charcoal_index.asp

My Favorite: The Smokey Joe
http://www2.weberbbq.com/Public_Weber/img/grillphotos/10020large.jpg

alexdagrate

Apr 4, 2000
get a george foreman grill.

makes the damn best pork chops you'll ever eat, swear to god.

although, its gotta suck for satisfying your "look at me, im drinkin a beer outside flippin bugers." needs.

so just be like everyone else and get a weber. if you're getting a grill for the whole outdoors thing, get a weber. if you want the best taste, you gotta knock out da fat.

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Ornery, that's a damned weird picture. Seen any green glow coming from the shed?

Batti

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Webers are WAY overpriced.

Stay away from Sunbeam for sure. Also don't get one with a glass plate. It's useless, the first time it gets used it gets all blackened up.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Shoot Batti, I never did find the "UFO". At this point I'm pretty sure the Grill Gods poked a hole in it to teach me a lesson for buying the stupid thing. I thought it would be nice for cooking steaks in the dead of winter. I've learned that I might as well just stick those steaks in the broiler instead... even more "convenient" than the gas grill and taste is the same :eek:

We had a Rib Cookoff 2 weeks ago at the Great Lakes Mall next to our home. One of the trailers had a gas leak that exploded. It rattled the windows here, but nobody was really hurt. I oughta just take our gas grill and pitch it...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I like charcoal and don't like the fact that the height of the weber grill can't be adjusted. Not so easy to sear and than cook.

iamthesystem

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Well, I'll add my $0.02

I owned a Char-Broil for about two years...decent...or so I thought.

Then...got married, moved and gave the Char-Broil away...

We purchased a Weber from the local Home Depot and we have never been happier!!! No flame-ups, very consistent...that kickass red color...
and yes, it is a gas. My family has cooked with both charcoal and gas, but has stuck with gas for the past 10 or so years...and I see no problem with it. I am hooked on Weber grills and think they are totally WORTH the money!!!! Mine has provided my family with the best grilling experience ever with some of the best tasting grilled food.

enuf said....?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Whichever grill you decide on, ensure that you get a good cover for it. About 4 years ago, I found a new gas grill (sorry Ornery, I'm willing to sacrifice a little flavor for convenience) from Home Depot. I then found a heavy duty grill cover made by Magic Chef @ K-Mart for $20 to $24. Sears also sells these heavy duty covers. This is the best investment that I've ever made. During the past four years, I have never moved my grill into the garage and the cover has protected it from all of the elements. The grill still looks like brand new.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
    • It's grilling day USA!
Just wondering what people put foil over the grill before grilling and why. This probably doesn't apply to gas grill folks, since they aren't overly concerned with flavor anyway :D

Does anybody here grill in a restaurant or familiar with their grilling procedure? Do they put foil over the grill surface? No way I ever will. Might as well just "grill" in a skillet!