Looking to build a cheap web/file/game server. mini-ITX good enough? Via C3 Processor?

kingz

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Price is probably the biggest concern, then performance. Size is a +. I just need a cheap general server for me and 3 other roommates, behind a DSL/Cable line. I'll be hosting a couple of websites, and probably a few LAN games and files, maybe a FTP server too. Im not sure if a high performance system would be necessary? Here is what im currently looking at:

Cubid 2677 mini-ITX Case (Black) silent External PSU

VIA EPIA-800 C3 mini-ITX Mainboard (onboard CPU, video, TV out, audio, LAN)

Its basically a 800MHz C3 with everything built in computer. Those "box" computers are nice, but a bit too pricey. I was able to build a cheap 1.2GHz Duron/SIS 745/DDR/ATX w/300W comp at newegg for $215. Would the Duron improve performance over the C3 in a server environment? Would it make any difference?

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
If you wanna game on this machine, dont even think about the VIA chip. An AMD Athlon XP would be the way to go, saw it at $63 on pricewatch. Or maybe the Duron would be ok. Even as a file server, it would be pathetic. I feel the only viable ( no pun intended :D ) market for VIA C3 would be the word processing community that is using the PC as just an advanced typewriter.

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: UlricT
If you wanna game on this machine, dont even think about the VIA chip. An AMD Athlon XP would be the way to go, saw it at $63 on pricewatch. Or maybe the Duron would be ok. Even as a file server, it would be pathetic. I feel the only viable ( no pun intended :D ) market for VIA C3 would be the word processing community that is using the PC as just an advanced typewriter.

A File server doesn't need a heck of a lot of CPU cycles to run (It needs a faster hard drive more than it needs a super fast CPU), Neither does a web server. (Unless you get a lot of hits/server a ton of files/have a lot of web pages with dynamic content). However...the game server might be a problem. Depending on the game, the server may need to do a lot of computations...and with the VIA Chip, those aren't going to get done as fast as you might like them to.

KillerCow

Jun 25, 2001
I have a server for personal use... it usually runs an FTP server, (light) web server, a windows file share, NAT for routing, and VNC for remote access.

It all runs on a salvaged Celeron 366 with 256 megs RAM. It used to be a 486dx50 with 16 megs, but that was before the ftp and web servers and VNC.

Keep in mind that web servers used to run on 486 class machines not too long ago... it doesn't take much CPU to fill a 1Mbps network pipe... as long as you aren't running IIS.

You do not need a high performance machine to serve files and run a NAT. I dont know what's need to host LAN games though. Anything that you buy new will probably be sufficient.

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Heh, you're going to get a lot of creative answers with that one :)

IIRC, the floating point unit on that thing is just terrible...game servers aren't going to exactly like that a whole lot. Sure its cheap....but a duron isn't that much more, and its going to be a lot faster for you if you're running the game servers. It won't affect the other stuff as much

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: kingz
does anyone know what the VIA C3 chip is equivalent to?

Go look at Tom's Hardware review on the C3............ I think he said that a C3 1ghz was about equal to a celeron 600 or so.

Cheers,
Aquaman

fendel

Jan 24, 2000
I recently bought a C3-800 Epia system. Wish I had done my homework first. This is one seriously anemic chip. I bought it for video, music, and games, so here's how it has performed:

Video: DivXs stutter and get out of sync, or are completely unplayable. Installing BSPlayer has helped somewhat, but this is hardly the DivX box I had in mind.
Audio: Sound quality is abominable. I'm considering an external USB audio device but I'm not sure I want to sink any more $ into this turkey.
Games: I had to fiddle with video settings for a while to get ZSNES to play at a playable speed. I still get video lag/glitches.

I've read that the onboard ethernet has problems if you have a case with an external power supply. Not sure what that is or whether it's still the case, but beware.

My mistake was in going for this system to have something small and cute in the living room. I should've just gotten myself a big honking ATX system (K7S6A and Athlon XP if I could do it over again) and forgotten the Epia.

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
In defense of the Eden 800Mhz system, I have to say that I have been entirely happy with mine in the month or so that I've had it. This system is not a divx system and isn't meant to be. Most of the reviews pretty much confirm the fact that it's not a home theater type PC or any sort of gaming PC.

It works amazingly well as a home route or low end server. I have it run NAT, iptables, ssh, snort, ntpd, and a few other things and it does so with a lot less power than any other system I've seen.

The issue with the onboard NIC is answered on mini-itx.com's FAQ and it seems to have only been related to the Cupid case with external DC power supply (ie the PSU is too weak or something).

If you want a home theater mini-PC, get one of the Shuttles, MSI, or Gigabyte barebones. I think the Eden platform would make a great low end web/file server. I'm not so sure about the game server. It'd probably do some games fine but a busier server or high-end FPS would probably make it hurt.

I mainly got mine to save money on the power bill and to generate less heat in my closet. ;)

Gaidin

fendel

Jan 24, 2000
kingz: you're welcome! (I should add, for those who are concerned about the audio quality: I'm using the SPDIF output to my receiver - digital coax cable - so analog cables are not a factor in the poor sound quality.)

Gaidin123, thanks for the clarification on the NIC issue. You're right, this thing is not a home theater PC. The only problem is, at least some of the reviews I saw treated it as such, since the small form factor lends itself well to that use (the typical pitch seemed to be "don't want to put a big hulking noisy machine in your living room? get the Epia").

EDIT: The more I think about it... the built-in S-Video out and digital audio outputs sure make it look like they intended it for HTPCs... feh.

majewski9

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2001
The C3 is not a great or even good performer, but it is very cool running. That combo is pretty good. I believe there was a review of this same rig and it was very positive. I dont think that it would make a very good game server though.

I want this rig as a multimedia station hooked up to my TV. I wonder if I could get linux to run on this thing and work with TV out. Maybe! Dont forget to get a PCI card riser with that case and board if you want to use that PCI slot.

fendel

Jan 24, 2000
Keep in mind that the Epia is supposed to take a non-standard riser card. AFAIK, standard ones won't work, and Via has not yet put out the specs for the kind it can use.