Looking into LED, trying to be open-minded...

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm very unhappily and reluctantly looking at LEDs coming from being a plasma owner. You have to understand, my MAIN viewing material is black and white classics and TV documentary television. It is very often DVD. I don't need "smart" anything, I have no interest in my television being connected via ethernet, I never stream content. I'd literally like a screen with HDMI and component ports. I have HDMI devices that play video content and that is all. I also don't want to pay a fortune. What is the best TV for getting black levels like plasma, how much is it going to cost me and who makes the ones I should look at?

1. Budget - less than 500 Canadian
2. Seating distance - roughly 2-3m (8ft)
3. Size/placement limitations - It'll sit on an eye level TV stand.
4. Uses and sources - Mostly 720p film and TV, some 1080p film, video games (not hardcore gaming by any means, some sports games, some adventure games)
5. Room lighting - moderately dark (a few small lamps at night) to regular interior daylight

Thank you!

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
try going here for ideas: http://www.rtings.com/tv
Thank you! Fantastic site.

I've spent the past few days really studying the best info I can find online on Plasma vs LED TVs with respect to contrast ratio and black levels. I get the technology, I'm someone who calibrates his televisions with a calibration device, I also happen to be an independent filmmaker so video specs aren't foreign to me. But without putting one LED and one plasma in front of me with a black and white film I know well, I don't think I get exactly what we're talking about when we say "LED black levels are nowhere near the quality of Plasma". I feel like I need this qualified somehow to understand.
I'm in a situation where I may need to get rid of my current plasma due to a move and the general consensus seems to be I'll never find something like my plasma in LED for black levels and contrast ratio. I need help understanding what I'm going to lose if I make the move to LED and if anything worth having can be bought for less than $500 US/$640 CA.

Thank you!!

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
The only technology currently available to the public that has a chance vs plasma in the realm of true black levels is OLED as far as my eyes can tell. The issue is that pricing for OLED is still in the "cutting edge technology" realm.

If you want to get an idea, you could always go find a Best Buy store to personally look at some different setups (in their environment to compare LED/ OLED.. I doubt they have a Plasma set up to compare with)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled-vs-led

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm very unhappily and reluctantly looking at LEDs coming from being a plasma owner. You have to understand, my MAIN viewing material is black and white classics and TV documentary television. It is very often DVD. I don't need "smart" anything, I have no interest in my television being connected via ethernet, I never stream content. I'd literally like a screen with HDMI and component ports. I have HDMI devices that play video content and that is all. I also don't want to pay a fortune. What is the best TV for getting black levels like plasma, how much is it going to cost me and who makes the ones I should look at?

1. Budget - less than 500 Canadian
2. Seating distance - roughly 2-3m (8ft)
3. Size/placement limitations - It'll sit on an eye level TV stand.
4. Uses and sources - Mostly 720p film and TV, some 1080p film, video games (not hardcore gaming by any means, some sports games, some adventure games)
5. Room lighting - moderately dark (a few small lamps at night) to regular interior daylight

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely love my Mitsubishi DLP & just replaced the bulb, but I'm having strobe-like flicker going on, which apparently requires a light engine replacement, which is like $400 up-front. I hate to give up the TV, but it's already 5 or 6 years old at this point, is no longer manufacturered, and I have no guarantee that sinking the money in will even fix it. It's just time. But I love love love the PQ on it. OLED is more than I want to pay. HDR LED looks great (on the right model), but is also crazy expensive for a good set. Le sigh...