looking for webhosting company....suggestions?

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
well, like the topic says, i want some suggestions, also, i would like a nice balance between cheap and reliable, remember im a dirt poor college student :(

what i was looking at was:

http://www.hostsave.com

what you get for $6.95

www.yourownname.com
International Domains Okay
30 MB Disk Space
2000 MB/month Data Transfer
5 POP3 Email Accounts
FrontPage 2000/98 Extensions
Unlimited Email Forwarding
Email Autoresponder
Catch-all Email Address
Unlimited 24/7 FTP
Personal CGI Directory
Form to Email CGI
Counter CGI
Password Protect Directories
Custom Error Page
Free Graphical Web Site Statistics
Log File Access
Flash, Shockwave - okay
Free Technical Support Via Email
Web Based Control Panel
99.5% + Server Uptime

thanks for the help.

dam()

thirdkind

Oct 9, 1999
You get what you pay for.

Also, that bandwidth allowance is pretty low; depending on the traffic you expect, you might be in for some serious overcharges, which can add up quickly.

I thought 5000 MB a month was plenty for mine. Then I posted an article that was somewhat popular, and in a week it ate up over 400 MB. If the number of hits I get keeps growing, I'll be looking to upgrade my service to a better policy.

I use http://www.hostpro.net/. I use the $20 monthly plan, but there's one below it for $15. I was having trouble getting through to them to check the features; don't hold that against them ;)

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
tk: thanks for your reply, also, i cant get that site you game me, its all your fault.

well, how much should i expect to pay for going over the bandwith limit?

dam(thanks)

thirdkind

Oct 9, 1999
I think the average is $0.05 to $0.10 per MB. Doesn't sound like much, but say you go 500 MB over your monthly limit (500 MB is approximately 5000 to 10000 hits, and that's if you run a site with an average page weight of 50k). That's $25 to $50, depending on what your hosting service charges. That's more than enough to upgrade to the next level of service.

Like I said, depends on how much traffic you expect. If you expect only a few thousand hits a month or less, 2000 MB could be plenty.

And don't forget forums, if you plan on running those. If they get busy, expect your bandwidth usage to go through the roof.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I use hostsave to host my website. Been with them for over a year now. It's been down for a handful of times, for less than 10 minutes each time it seemed. Good service..

And if you're getting charged 25 bucks a gig for excess bandwidth, get out. Look for something in the $7 range. And that's actually on the high end of the acceptable range.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
wow i just got this email from hostsave.com

fast service too :)

Dear David,

Thanks for your mail.

In response to your question, Additional Data Transfer: $0.02/MB.

HostSave allows each web site a generous amount of data traffic. Most web sites
use much less.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks Again,

HostSave Support
Kelley

dam(hmmm)

thirdkind

Oct 9, 1999
$0.02 is pretty good. Unless you're worried about becoming the "next big thing," you could probably go with those folks.

Make sure they have really good tech support though. I used to use http://www.abc-123.net/. Fast server, but when I finally had a problem (and you eventually will), I ended up with a guy who could barely speak English, let alone help me.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Has anyone used A+ Hosting before? http://www.aplushosting.com. I was looking at their plans and it seems fairly reasonable

What you get for $14.95 + $10 admin fee

www.YourDomain.com (registration is 99c)
125MB webspace
FTP access 24/7
15 POP3 email accounts, forwarders, autoresponders, etc
Frontpage 98/2000 support
Real Audio/Video(HTTP streaming)
Control panel
Unique IP address
Domain accessible with or w/o 'www'
Real time stats
Unlimited traffic
60 day money back gaurantee
Backup 3X daily
Custom DNS settings
Support for shockwave/flash files
Password protected directories
Telnet access 24/7
SSH access 24/7
7 user Anynomous FTP
/cgi-bin, CGI execution on any directory
Perl, C/C++, Python

NO custom error page, PHP4, SSI, ASP, Miva, MySQL, 128bit secure server, subdomains.