Looking for VoIP recommendations

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The story goes this way: I got tired of AT&T constantly gouging me for DirectTV so I cut the cord in February. As a bonus gift, they raised my fees for phone service (home line/VoIP) to $48 per month. I am done with AT&T except for the Internet ($40 per month for 300 Gbs). I am looking for recommendations for 3rd party VoIP phone service. I use the home phone mostly to ignore scam callers and use it for about 300 minutes per month.

Anyone who has 3rd party VoIP phone service ... can you share your experience and /or make me a recommendation?

Thank you ...

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Google Voice seconded. I ported a landline to GV for my mom over ten years ago, and used integration with an OBi adapter for the home phone experience. The original hardware was rendered obsolete by Google, so my all-in cost has been for two devices: OBi 110 and currently an OBi 200. Roughly $40 each, but I think the prices are a little higher nowadays after Obihai was purchased by Polycom.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
When I got rid of my landline 10+ years back I bought a Magic Jack.
Super cheap but was a crappy sounding system. When it finally broke I ended up
buying an Ooma. Around 70-80 for the system with unlimited nationwide (US) free calls.
All you do it pay the taxes on the line. My guess is 3.00 to 7.00/month depending on the state.
I've had it for nearly 8 years without issue.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've been using ITP for at least 15 years. You have to hook an adapter to your router but it's poss they have wireless options by now. I pay about 30 bucks, per month for 2 lines.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Good lord ... I wouldn't pay $48 per year to maintain a land-line. :oops:

(although as we learned during 9/11 dedicated phone-lines ARE a lot more reliable/durable then any wireless technology)

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Good lord ... I wouldn't pay $48 per year to maintain a land-line. :oops:

(although as we learned during 9/11 dedicated phone-lines ARE a lot more reliable/durable then any wireless technology)
Landlines do have a lot of advantage - certainly over wireless but also VOIP. In the latter case, I'm thinking power outages. But to be fair, if you have backup generator wired into your box, it's only really an issue if the ISP is also boned.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, I only get maybe 1 or 2 outages per year and they're pretty transient. Most time I only notice when I have to reset the time on my bedroom radio. Note - and it's not that old so does Sangean have religious issues with a 9v battery backup? Hell, the truly ancient Timex alarm/radio has one.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hell, the truly ancient Timex alarm/radio has one.

I still have one of those! :D

With the exception of the amber backlight fading a bit, mine works great and I still use it as a cell-phone backup alarm to this day! (radio works fine too)

Plenty to be said for NOT being "connected"!

s-l1600.jpg

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I use Callcentric and they've been drama free. They are a roll your own plan type of company and setting up my device was a bit nerve racking since I had no idea what I was doing. I'm a light user and my monthly bill is under $6 a month and that includes a $1 a month line where all my incoming calls are free. I gave that number to family members. All outgoing 800 numbers are also free.

I used to have Vonage and I wish I would have made the switch years ago. It would have saved me a bunch of money.

dslreports has an active and helpful VOIP forum. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
still have one of those! :D

With the exception of the amber backlight fading a bit, mine works great and I still use it as a cell-phone backup alarm to this day! (radio works fine too)

Plenty to be said for NOT being "connected"!
That's really nice and I love the ergonomics of it. Mine has buttons here there and everywhare [but shhhh, they're a secret, at least until you try to find a place to grab it without pushing any of its buttons, so to say.]. The one difference is the ceiling projector which I used to like but is now useless since I have a couple of motion and color changing "night lights" which I run 24/7. The colors and gentle motion are so soothing plus both provide enough light that I don't need the lamp to walk in there w/o either hurting myself or cause mass destruction.