Looking for vacation ideas/opinions

Monoman

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Hey ATOT,

Well, I'm planning on taking my wife and kids (2) on a vacation once I return from IRAQ. I will get home in mid/late January 2008. We grew up on the beach (wife and I) so we are looking for something with snow. We have been eye-balling Colorado for some time but not really sure where to go. Not looking for the resort experience but maybe a bread-n-breakfast type living. We both like to cook so it's not a problem.

Now for some specifics;

Transportation: driving is the most desirable method, we enjoy road trips
Price range: $1600-2800
Kid's age: 4 and 6
Current Location: San Antonio, Texas
Branch of service: Air Force

Basically, anywhere with snow will work, I think Colorado has been on our radar because it's where she had family at one point.

So, anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Having a gym would be desirable but not a requirement. I would like to learn how to snowboard but again, not a requirement.

Thanks for the input!

UPDATE:

So far we have Leadville, which looks like an amazing place to visit. Thanks Dave M!!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Monoman
Hey ATOT,

Well, I'm planning on taking my wife and kids (2) on a vacation once I return from IRAQ. I will get home in mid/late January 2008. We grew up on the beach (wife and I) so we are looking for something with snow. We have been eye-balling Colorado for some time but not really sure where to go. Not looking for the resort experience but maybe a bread-n-breakfast type living. We both like to cook so it's not a problem.

Now for some specifics;

Transportation: driving is the most desirable method, we enjoy road trips
Price range: $1600-2800
Kid's age: 4 and 6
Current Location: San Antonio, Texas
Branch of service: Air Force

Basically, anywhere with snow will work, I think Colorado has been on our radar because it's where she had family at one point.

So, anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Having a gym would be desirable but not a requirement. I would like to learn how to snowboard but again, not a requirement.

Thanks for the input!

A B&B in Leadville Colorado.

B&B's in Leadville area

Enjoy and thank you

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Just saw you had young kids. You might want to do a tour of western Colorado driving through all the ski towns and the beautiful settings that they are in.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jawo
Just saw you had young kids. You might want to do a tour of western Colorado driving through all the ski towns and the beautiful settings that they are in.

It is beautiful in Vail, Aspen and Steamboat Springs but a lot more expensive.

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
Any thought to flying space-a?? Though, with young kids that could be a pain in the ass. What's your job?

Monoman

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bGIveNs33
Any thought to flying space-a?? Though, with young kids that could be a pain in the ass. What's your job?

We enjoy driving, consider it part of the vacation...

I'm in the Air Force, Computer do it all...

EDIT: dang typo

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If you're anything like my son and the folks in his squadron when they returned from Iraq, ANYWHERE that isn't hot and doesn't have sand...we offered to send out son to Hawaii for a week to relax...he opted to go to Alaska...:) can't say I blame him/them/you for wanting somewhere cool and green.

Thanks for your service.
Semper Fi!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I'm in a Air Force, Computer do it all...

From Leadville to Rocky Mountain Park near Estes is the worlds highest paved road called the Continental Divide Highway.

Awesome ride.

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002

Well who knows, I might be giving you guys a lift back from the desert ;)

(c-17 load)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
My brother just recently got back from Iraq and he and his wife-to-be are heading to Colorado. Looks like a common theme for guys returning. ;)

Come home safe and thank you for your service.

Monoman

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001

Well who knows, I might be giving you guys a lift back from the desert ;)

(c-17 load)

Very cool!! Are you at Al Udeid or Baghdad? I only got the C130 treatment, looking forward to the C17 flight :D they are my favorite.

Monoman

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
If you're anything like my son and the folks in his squadron when they returned from Iraq, ANYWHERE that isn't hot and doesn't have sand...we offered to send out son to Hawaii for a week to relax...he opted to go to Alaska...:) can't say I blame him/them/you for wanting somewhere cool and green.

Thanks for your service.
Semper Fi!

You know what's funny, Hawaii was my first choice but I think somewhere cold would be a nice and "welcome" change :D

Not a prob, thanks for the chat!

Originally posted by: Feldenak
My brother just recently got back from Iraq and he and his wife-to-be are heading to Colorado. Looks like a common theme for guys returning. ;)

Come home safe and thank you for your service.

It would appear so :p Thanks!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I 5th or 6th the Colorado suggestion... seems any place opposite of hot and dusty will do ;)