Looking for Tuner card/box for OTA

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I want to get a TV tuner for OTA, would like to broadcast channels over wifi and able to DVR if possible. Is the HDHomerun the device to go with? Or do I need Prime if I want to watch over wifi? Are there any cheaper devices out there that do it? This is only for OTA, I do not have, nor do I plan to get cable.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most of the HDTV tuners made over the last decade are pretty similar. As long as it can tune your broadcast type (Argentina?) and it has drivers available for your OS, you will probably be ok. If you want to do a trial run with cheaper hardware, look for an older and used model. Avermedia and Hauppage are pretty common in the US and easy to find used. Windows Vista, 7, or 8 are pretty similar for the built in Media Center, which can easily provide DVR functionality.

I strongly prefer the HDhomerun tuners. I also strongly advise against wireless between the tuner(s) and the computer, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I am in US of A and using Win 8.1 and Win 7.

So you are saying that HDHomerun, directly connected to router broadcasting TV is not a good idea? I should let the PC broadcast it? I have no experience with these so not sure who exactly it works...

I was looking for external HD TV with good reviews and from the price perspective it seems like HDHomerun is the bets option...

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Watching a single show via wireless is fine. Setting up a full DVR via wifi might not work well.

You don't really dedicate the HDHR to any specific computer. You set it up on the network and it is available for use by any computer or device that can use it. It's very slick.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Watching a single show via wireless is fine. Setting up a full DVR via wifi might not work well.

You don't really dedicate the HDHR to any specific computer. You set it up on the network and it is available for use by any computer or device that can use it. It's very slick.

Well, I believe the HDhr can connect via Ethernet to the router? and I have a PC already connected via Ethernet to the router, which I wish to use for DVR, will that help? wireless will be used only from laptops and tables and phones around the house