Looking for reliable wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I have a small place so range is not a huge deal but I would prefer something that can run 24x7 for several years without a reboot. The current router (about 8 months old) is a tp-link c5400. I have two complaints with this router. First it requires a reboot about once a month because it hangs (stop sending packets on the lan and wan); second it doesn't support dns (instead it supports some windows dns solution that is not linux friendly) on the local network.
-
I can live without dns using static assignment but the hangs are annoying. One last requirement is i would like 700+Mb/s on the local network sustained (wired not wireless).
-
Any suggestions ? I've been looking at amazon list of routers and most of the routers have a 10%+ negative feedback with things like needs constant reboots et all. Maybe they all suck ?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Check out Smallnetbuilder
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Depends on your budget, but there should be routers out there that meet your requirements. I've recently moved to a 1gbps ISP and have been hunting for a good router with decent sustained WAN/LAN throughput, but the majority of consumer routers seem to cap out around 600-700Mbps. Some even lower.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I've seen countless half-second brownout or power blip situations cause a router or switch to lock up.

Even this morning a little 5 port d-link switch at work was the cause of a couple of devices not having access to the network. A storm blew through last night. Unplugged the power and plugged it back in and all was fine again.

That said, I know not all issues that arise that require a reboot are triggered from brownouts or power blips, but a UPS can likely remove a great deal of those reboot issues, too.

Anyway, my Asus RT-AC68U never seems to care much about brownout situations and has never given me a problem that would require a reboot of the router. I don't know if that's a power supply/capacitor quality thing within the device or what. Still, one of these days I'll throw a UPS on it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
My issue isn't brownout it is either flaw software or hardware in the router that is causing it to drop the nic.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Interesting website; but i don't see an option for lan to lan tput; only wireless and wan to lan.

Check out Smallnetbuilder
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Depends on your budget, but there should be routers out there that meet your requirements. I've recently moved to a 1gbps ISP and have been hunting for a good router with decent sustained WAN/LAN throughput, but the majority of consumer routers seem to cap out around 600-700Mbps. Some even lower.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Interesting website; but i don't see an option for lan to lan tput; only wireless and wan to lan.
LAN to LAN these days is pretty much always full 1gbps without question.
It's WAN/LAN that is the biggest issue currently.

High WAN/LAN performance means it will almost always have good LAN/LAN as well since LAN/LAN is easier. If you look up their full reviews they do get into LAN performance for some of them as well.

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
rebooting seems to be like a common occurence these days not because the router is crappy, but because there are too many extrinsic factors that are rather difficult to completely eliminate. you can use a usp to reduce the number of times it gets paralyzed but you can't totally reduce all of it. that said, TP-Link Archer C8 & D-Link DIR-880L are couple of budget options under 150 you can try.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I've had to reboot my Asus once since I bought it (Feb 2014) due to a brown out. Only one reboot in about 3.5 years.

That's not to say I've never rebooted it outside of that scope, because I have as part of the process for firmware updates.

For actual power outages the router has always come back up with no problems. I don't think you should be having to reboot a router so often. Also, I don't think we should think of it as natural or expected that we'd have to reboot consumer routers so often.

If you do, there's something wrong with it or you have electrical stability issues locking it up.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How sustained is your 6-700 mbps? Most home routers cannot sustain that kind of speed for long. They overheat. You are better off getting a metal shelled layer 3 (aka multilayer) switch and hook all lan devices to it, using one port to uplink to router.

Or try adding a usb fan to it first and see how it goes.

I am not understanding lan dns. Are you doing fully qualifies domain name resolution within your lan?

Since you are into linux, why not run pfsense or sophos in a vm and use your router just as an ap?

Damn spammer necro.

Reactions: PliotronX

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I like Netgear stuff. I have the R6700 router. There is a highly regarded Netgear router by a different model but it's the same thing as mine. The nighthawk stuff is a bit to pricey for me. I am probably doing everything all wrong. I use the Xfi Xb6 as a wireless AC router, the netgear, a powerline with built in wifi AC and another router for the garage for 2.4ghz/5ghz wifi for the garage. So 4 routers, all gigabit ports. I like the previous suggestion of using a gigabit switch to connect all LAN to before connecting to the router.

My powerline is in the basement and I get 156mbps down on Steam games. That has a built in router. Tried the wireless repeater thing and wireless AP thing but was not happy with the results. I setup the routers as independent SSID and the performance is much better than in repeater mode with no lag.

I do admire the big spenders who can buy these $800 routers that push gigabit speeds through wireless AC.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I do admire the big spenders who can buy these $800 routers that push gigabit speeds through wireless AC.
LOL. I'm pretty happy with my G1100 and AC68R. I get 200+ Mbit/sec up and down from the AC68R, on USB3.0 wireless AC 3x3 RealTek 8214AU (I think that's the chipset) Aukey adapters. I used to get 500Mbit/sec plus, with the same identical main router, and a TrendNet AC1200 wireless AP used as a bridge. (Granted, I have a fairly small apt.)

Wired through both routers on my Gigabit LAN, with Gigabit FIOS, is around 940+ DL and similar UL.

Status
Not open for further replies.