Looking for recommendations on an A+ book?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Basically I want to read a book, study, and pass the A+ test. I've seen so many different A+ books at my local Barnes & Noble book store and was wondering what your opinions were on a good book that would prepare me for the A+ test. Thanks for your time :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: rbloedow A+ for Dummies :)
They actually make one? :confused:

Yea, I own it :)

Interesting rbloedow, that's quite interesting. I should have added to my original post that while I can build a computer, I have no idea about what wire carries what voltage and whatnot. I think the Dummies book may be for people w/ more computer knowledge than me :( Any other suggestions?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Trust me, I would reccomend (sp? MAybe I should get "Spelling for Dummies" ) it to a beginner. I also had no idea what wire carries what voltage, but the book goes from very basic to very indepth.

PrincessGuard

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2001
The Mike Meyer's All-In-One Exam Guide is highly regarded, very thorough, and informative even outside the scope of the exam. Of course, if you have some tech support experience and/or you don't want to read through all 1000+ pages, then maybe the Dummies book will be OK :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
rbloedow, w.o any other books, were you able to use the A+ for Dummies book to pass the exam?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
PrincessGuard, I don't have any tech support experience, except from my own rigs over the past, but 1000 pages? I'm not sure if I can read that much. But I will take a look at the book and see how I like it, thanks for the suggestion :)

WTT0001

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2001
This book is excellent (around 550 pages), Or if you really want to go in depth (finding out which wire carries voltage, etc.) then the book it is based off of here will tell you more than you will ever need to know but it is around 1700 pages.

Good Luck,

WTT0001

Edit: This book club is a great deal, you can pick-up both of these books in your initial offer ($1.99 each + $12 to $15 for S&H and buy 1 book for $19.99 + $7.50 S&H and be all set, It is a very, very good deal.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
in all honesty, a+ is worthless. I got it a couple years ago, skimmed a book @ borders, and now i have a useless piece of certification. I put it on my resume for Best Buy when i wanted to work PC-Tech, but they stuck me on the sales floor instead. It's nice to know that you've accomplished something, but other than that, it does nothing for you. Good luck to you, though.

-=bmacd=-

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen A+ as a requirement for many jobs. I'm most of the way through Mike Meyer's A+ Passport which is about 500 pages and comes with practice tests on CD.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: PrincessGuard
The Mike Meyer's All-In-One Exam Guide is highly regarded, very thorough, and informative even outside the scope of the exam. Of course, if you have some tech support experience and/or you don't want to read through all 1000+ pages, then maybe the Dummies book will be OK :)

I also used Mike Meyer's, very thorough info and not as dry as a lot of
study guides.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks for all the replies, while I realize that the A+ certification doesn't hold much weight, the reason I need it is for the same reason flavio posted, more and more jobs require it. It appeas that the Mike Meyer's A+ Passport is the way to go, I especially like the fact that it comes w/ practive tests. Thanks :)

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
Don't worry to much about the exam, I took it last year when I was 16 and more than passed it. That was after they made the change of eliminating the DOS section of it. If you've hung around General Hardware a lot you'll do fine ;). That being said, I 've looked at the A+ for dummies and it seemed a bit brief. So I bought some thick (~900 pages?) red book, by New Riders Publishing called "A+ Certification" and skimmed it for about a week and a half. Most of it is common sense, the other is learned just by hanging around the computer case a lot and tinkering with Windows. Good luck man! Oh and don't rely on the brain dumps too much, use it to get a feel of what type of questions they'll ask but definitly don't try to learn from them. Some of the answers I have found were bogus.

EDIT: Oh and I haven't used it yet in obtaining a job yet, just placed it in a resume for a data entry position but I don't think it helped me in getting the job.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks for the response MistaEng, I agree that the Dummies series seems too light.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hey all, sorry to bring up this topic from the dead, but can the Mike Meyer's All-In-One Exam Guide be found on amazon.com? I tired searching by author, but was only able to find the Passport book :( Thanks :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks PrincessGuard, I appreciate it, I owe you one :)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Meyers' "All-In-One" certification books are organized to appeal to both the academic type looking to comprehensively cover the material in-depth and what Meyers' refers to as the "Fast Trackers" who just want to take the test and get a piece of paper. There are test-relevant summaries at the end of each chapter just for the 'fast tracker' if you don't want to read all 1000+ pages.

I purchased the Third Edition brand new (remainder mark and a few scuff marks) from Amazon's Marketplace for $21.00 + a few bucks for shipping. It is still sufficiently current enough to pass the A+ exam, having a publish date of Feb. 23, 2001.

I also bought Meyer's "All-In-One" Network+ book and its equally thick.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks for the response tcsenter, knowing that the A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide is like two books in one, both in depth and summaries, my order at bookpool.com has been placed. Thanks for the help everyone :)