Looking for recommendations for a "best value" beater laptop ...

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
First off, I currently own three (3) laptops. One is too old so I use it for evaluating Linux distros. One is too old AND too big (17") to be carried cross-country and the last is an old Atom-based netbook that I, for some reason, cannot throw out. What I am looking for is a daily driver that I can throw into the backpack and take to the office or haul cross country without weighing me down. I am not against buying something used/off lease. My requirements include:

- Smaller size (12 to 14")

- i5 or i7 processor, preferably 4th gen or newer Intel

- At least 4 GB RAM

- SSD of any size 120GB or greater

- Relatively rugged

- Cheap!

I am currently focused on an off-lease Dell E7250 (12.5") or E7440 (14") Latitudes. They seem to meet most of my requirements pretty well and, since used, can be had at a hefty discount. I've found a number of fairly good i5-based units around the $200 mark.

Would really appreciate pros/cons and dissenting opinions and what others would recommend.

Thanks ...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you're buying directly from Dell for off-lease (if they still do that): a friend got a D600 from there a few years ago and it was in great condition. If I was trying to save money I'd seriously consider an off-lease Dell business laptop over some Best Buy $300 junker.

May 1, 2012
Dell has an eBay page for their off-lease stuff and they have quite a few of laptops in the $200-300 range
http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial?_rdc=1

Admittedly I check it every 1-2 weeks; you have to go through the description later to find the gems, the laptops all have different specs even though many are the same descriptions and prices.

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
1. I have the 7440 - a very nice machine indeed. The next versions don't have the nice dedicated buttons for sound and power which are comfortable
2. I would suggest trying to find these with an SSD + IPS display. It's worth it
3. Also, try to get the Dell e7450 for $200-$250, the 5th gen is an improvement

For $200 you can't do a lot better than the Latitudes. I really don't know how they are sold for such a low price (for years). I armed my whole family with Latitudes because of this

Reactions: dud

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
1. I have the 7440 - a very nice machine indeed. The next versions don't have the nice dedicated buttons for sound and power which are comfortable
2. I would suggest trying to find these with an SSD + IPS display. It's worth it
3. Also, try to get the Dell e7450 for $200-$250, the 5th gen is an improvement

For $200 you can't do a lot better than the Latitudes. I really don't know how they are sold for such a low price (for years). I armed my whole family with Latitudes because of this

I agree with your assessment of the Latitude as a quality product and appreciate your advice. Thank you ...

Reactions: stateofmind

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
I agree with your assessment of the Latitude as a quality product and appreciate your advice. Thank you ...
You might have to wait for a low price though. There was someone at eBay selling his e7450 for $250 few days ago. Can't see it anymore..
Always ask if the warranty is transferable and make sure its the FHD model