Looking for new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by Hellhammer, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cheez

cheez Golden Member

You want to whine about sound quality then keep them close to your face and have all that room behind the speakers on your desk then. ;)

This is for OP. He has limited space and I am sure he doesn't want them close to his face.

cheez

2. s44

s44 Diamond Member

It'll definitely work, and it's better than listening to the crazy person in this thread, but you're really advocating a desk-busting maximalist approach.

Unfortunately, with audio it's really a matter of price, quality, and size -- choose two. With the OP really limited on cost, letting the size balloon may be the best option. Still for nearfield I'd probably choose a cute little T-amp over a big AVR...

3. Howard

Howard Lifer

I don't disagree. But, if you espouse KISS then an AVR really is the best thing he can do for a separate sub output.

In any case, the B2031P does have decent bass.

4. Howard

Howard Lifer

1) Nobody gives a crap about runaway prisoner.
    2) All speakers will effectively produce more bass if they placed closer to more boundaries (walls and corners).
    3) He is not interested in better mids and lows, even if your crappy speakers were good at them.
    4) I agree that they might take up more room, especially if a receiver is used for amplification. However, in this price range, active will not sound any better than passive.

PM me if you want to discuss the technical stuff. I may or may not respond.

5. kdubbs

kdubbs Member

A bit OT, but my god, that Coconut Audio site is hilarious. One of the more ambitious audiophile trolling efforts I've every seen. I wonder if people actually try to order their "products". Well played, Mr. Coconut.

6. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. Putting a front ported speaker close to the back wall does almost nothing for bass response. You really do love to spout random idiot things to see what sticks don't you? Is he going to listen to them in a tiny closet and 1 foot away?

#31 gus6464, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. Howard

Howard Lifer

He's not wrong that putting them closer to the wall will increase the bass response. There just isn't that much to begin with.

The location of the port is not very important.

8. SyndromeOCZ

SyndromeOCZ Senior member

But if they're on the rear of your speaker you can't see papers on your desk flying around from all of the air your drivers are moving. :D

9. Howard

Howard Lifer

Or in his case, the air that the drivers aren't moving?

10. gus6464

gus6464 Golden Member

Yes but when you get to speakers with big and multiple drivers (> 6"), the port location does start to matter when placing near the back wall. You wouldn't place a rear-ported tower with four 6" drivers super close to the back wall.

11. Howard

Howard Lifer

As long as it isn't too close, it won't matter. There are two issues I could see when placing a port opening close to a wall; 1) the volume between the port and the wall becomes an extension of the port itself and therefore the tuning may change, and 2) as the space becomes smaller, the air velocity between the speaker and the wall increases, leading to increased damping of the port as well as noise.

But we're talking very close distances here, say less than 2x port diameter between the port and the wall.

12. Hellhammer

Hellhammer AnandTech Emeritus

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure my dad or granddad might have a spare receiver. Will have to ask, this would definitely be a more limitless approach. Desk space is obviously limited but I can cram plenty of stuff under the desk, so that's not an issue.

It's not just bass that I'm interested in, it's the overall quality. However, the bass is definitely the worst part of my current setup so that's why I put emphasis on it.

But I'll send a few emails and see what my relatives have in their closets, thanks for the idea!