Looking for new GPU with old system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
That's true, but the 260X will give better performance for Mantle-supported games (if he ever plays any) and will perform better with DX12-supported games (if he plans to keep this GPU around that long), given what we know of GCN and DX12. Likewise, any games that support TrueAudio... are there any? To me it just seems like the 260X is a tad more future-proof.

On the downside, the 260X has higher power consumption and lacks the same PhysX support of the 750Ti.

Not really, wrong, no, no way, and the last sentence...its actually okay.

I usually don't post in these kind of threads but when I read this post I nearly fell in the floor.

Like, what in the heck did I just read??????

Anyway, the 260x never was awesome for mantle. We don't even know what the future of mantle is anyway, even if it was great at it. Then there is dx12 (which has a bright future IMO), nvidia seems to have a major edge at the moment. Its not even close and there is no indication that AMD will be changing that. We can hope, not saying they won't, just stating that currently the situation is very different. AMD shows no dx12 edge right now.

Then there is the future proof thing. I have no idea why anyone would think that a rehashed Bonaire chip would be more future proof than a GPU from the maxwell family. I can't rightfully declare that the 750ti will be more future proof because I am no fortune teller, but I extremely contest the suggestion that Bonaire is somehow automatically more future proof. This is a chip from a long time ago.

But, lastly. And most importantly by far.........

With such an old and slow CPU, the choice should be the nvidia option. There is no contest when it comes to slow CPUs and nvidia performances. Nvidia has a major advantage I when it comes to slow CPUs.

I hate recommending any GPU and hate the debates back and forth. Since the OP is already leaning towards the 750ti, I am less reluctant to jump on in here.
The misinformation is one thing, but the truth is that the nvidia solution is a much better fit for his aged CPU. I think the advantage there is far to great to pass up.

OP, I know you said you were getting a 750ti anyway, I just want you to know that in my opinion it is a far better choice for your system. Not only is there an early indication that Nvidia has superior dx12 performance but there is also the simple truth that nvidia cards perform much better on weak CPUs, and that is something you can take advantage of right now.

Last edited: