Looking for new android phone

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I am currently using a Moto G6 tracfone and looking to upgrade. I am not a big phone user at all, take a few pics here and there, use it for occasional web browsing but not all day or even everyday, check gmail, text and make calls but not a huge amount. Couple things I would like to have is good battery life and the capability of wireless charging. I want to be able to continue using tracfone service and keep my current number. Tracfone does not offer any phones with wireless charging. I don't want to spend a fortune on a phone, maybe couple hundred dollars at most. I want something that will be rugged as well. I work outside alot on a farm. Will get a good case for it. Is otterbox cases considered the best or is there something just as good or better?

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I am currently using a Moto G6 tracfone and looking to upgrade. I am not a big phone user at all, take a few pics here and there, use it for occasional web browsing but not all day or even everyday, check gmail, text and make calls but not a huge amount. Couple things I would like to have is good battery life and the capability of wireless charging. I want to be able to continue using tracfone service and keep my current number. Tracfone does not offer any phones with wireless charging. I don't want to spend a fortune on a phone, maybe couple hundred dollars at most. I want something that will be rugged as well. I work outside alot on a farm. Will get a good case for it. Is otterbox cases considered the best or is there something just as good or better?

The tricky bit is that wireless charging is pretty hard to find in that price range or even slightly above it. I'm tempted to suggest the Moto G Power, since it'll give you a modern phone with a familiar experience and a monstrous amount of battery life. The catch (apart from the lack of wireless charging) is that it's $250, but I'd consider that money well spent if it lasts ages on a charge.

Otterbox is considered pretty good for rugged cases, but it's not your only option. The tricky part is making sure that a rugged case is available for the phone you want -- I know the G Power has a few choices.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
The tricky bit is that wireless charging is pretty hard to find in that price range or even slightly above it. I'm tempted to suggest the Moto G Power, since it'll give you a modern phone with a familiar experience and a monstrous amount of battery life. The catch (apart from the lack of wireless charging) is that it's $250, but I'd consider that money well spent if it lasts ages on a charge.

Otterbox is considered pretty good for rugged cases, but it's not your only option. The tricky part is making sure that a rugged case is available for the phone you want -- I know the G Power has a few choices.

As time goes on, will wireless charging become more common in lower budget phones?

One thing I forgot to mention, kind of hesitant on going with another Moto phone. My current Moto G6 has a few issues and is not that old. Having trouble getting it to charge, plug in it and nothing happens. Have to push it in really hard and even then most of time, it will only charge slowly instead of rapidly. Tried different cables, outlets, blowing the port out. Also it has a glass back and it is cracked pretty bad.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As time goes on, will wireless charging become more common in lower budget phones?

One thing I forgot to mention, kind of hesitant on going with another Moto phone. My current Moto G6 has a few issues and is not that old. Having trouble getting it to charge, plug in it and nothing happens. Have to push it in really hard and even then most of time, it will only charge slowly instead of rapidly. Tried different cables, outlets, blowing the port out. Also it has a glass back and it is cracked pretty bad.

It might -- I just wouldn't expect to see wireless charging for the next while.

If not Moto, your choices aren't super-hot. Samsung's A20 (or A21 if and when it reaches the US), perhaps?

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Forget the wireless charging part, just can't justify spending that much on a phone. Just want something that will be reliable. I will check out the A20 and N1.

I definitely need to do something pretty quick now. My phone just stopped working, can't get it to do anything. Was trying to hook it up to a laptop to transfer some pics and screen went black. Does the moto g6 have a physical reset button? I have held the volume button and power button trying to get to boot screen and nothing.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Forget the wireless charging part, just can't justify spending that much on a phone. Just want something that will be reliable. I will check out the A20 and N1.

I definitely need to do something pretty quick now. My phone just stopped working, can't get it to do anything. Was trying to hook it up to a laptop to transfer some pics and screen went black. Does the moto g6 have a physical reset button? I have held the volume button and power button trying to get to boot screen and nothing.

There's no dedicated reset button, but you can try Motorola's directions (I suspect you've tried at least one already) to be sure. Hopefully that works, but either way... gotta sympathize, that's rough.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Not sure what happened but it is working now. Still need to get a different phone, don't trust this one anymore.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not sure what happened but it is working now. Still need to get a different phone, don't trust this one anymore.

Phew. At least that means you'll have a working phone while you get a replacement.

NextGen_Gamer

Jun 29, 2020
I would look into the $149 brand-new Moto E (2020). It just came out two weeks ago. It has solid specs, battery life, a clean Android 10 build and is globally unlocked for all carriers. The camera is pretty poor quality, it has no wireless charging and it has a micro-USB port (however, maybe you would consider that to be good because your current Moto G6 should be micro-USB as well, so no need to buy all new chargers/cables).

JoshuaM

Jul 14, 2020
You can go for Nokia 2.2 smartphone which is well inside your budget. It runs on latest Android 10 with HD+ display and expandable storage. And it is powered by MediaTek MT6761 processor with 3GB of RAM.