Looking for Netscape Composer-like OS X comparable for basic Web Design

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Back in the 90's I used MS Windows and Netscape for simple web design.
Netscape included the tool Netscape Composer which worked great for simple web design. And for free.
Some may remember Netscape? Netscape Composer? And MS Windows? ;)

So I'm looking for something similar to Netscape Composer but for OSx. Free and basic i.e. simple.
Most of todays web design software is major stuff. Including design ability for taking credit card payments online or inputting data into forms, involved features like that. I only want to create simple web design, web pages for displaying photos, text, backgrounds, the basic stuff.
Any ideas?

Reactions: JJChicken

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Nowadays, it seems like most web development platforms use a web interface like WordPress or Drupal for updating content. You update your themes and content on the site itself, with no additional software needed.

Setting up a WordPress site is pretty simple, and there are plenty of hosting platforms that will maintain one for you at a pretty low cost. If you're somewhat technical, you could spin up a Linux instance running WordPress and host yourself for free on Google Cloud for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJChicken

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
What ultimatebob said. Although I’m not a big fan of wordpress, drupal, markdown, jekyll etc. To me they are not intuitive at all

Traditional websites I feel are going out of popularity and a lot of browsing is now done via social media - perhaps try using instagram for posting your ideas? If its more professional, then try writing articles on linkedin - thats the approach I’m taking

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I found what I was looking for. Apparently Netscape Composer is now called SeaMonkey. Or, well, Sea Monkey does everything and looks like and acts like Netscape Composer. A simple stand alone webpage creator. For simply things like making a family website with photos and family news. This is my favorite web program. Once your files are created, just find pick your host then upload.