looking for midrange phone w/fingerprint unlock. Nexus 5x? iPhone SE?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
So, I currently have an asus zenfone laser on cricket (20 gigs a month for $55 :))with no pin lock. I kind of want to get more secure, but pin codes suck! So, some cheaper phones have started to get fingerprint sensor. $400 is my ceiling. Here is what i have so far

$400- iPhone SE
pros: iPhone, battery, big company with customer service
cons: small screen,16 gb

$350-Nexus 5x 32gb
pros: fingerprint scanner is good, marshmallow & updates, big american company with customer service
cons: performance issues 2gb of ram, I need to buy usb c cables

$350-Oneplus 2 64gb
Pros: Fast processor with 4gb of ram. fingerprint sensor
cons: fingerprint sensor doesn't work for some people, chinese microbrand

$200 Huawei honor 5x
pros: fingerprint scanner works really well. Cheap
cons: slow, the forums say that it checks a server it doesn't do wireless hotspot if you aren't paying for that service :(

That's what I have so far. I'm leaning towards the nexus 5x. Are there any other options under $400 that I'm missing? I'd prefer new.

Last edited:

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Just get a Nexus 5x on Project Fi. It is $200 with activation, then you can cancel after the first month. So basically another $30 for the line for the first month.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd lean to the Nexus 5X, but the iPhone SE should be great if you're fine with a 4-inch screen. One thing to consider: do you want the fingerprint reader on the front, or the back? Front is more convenient if you regularly unlock the phone while it's on your desk.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Just get a Nexus 5x on Project Fi. It is $200 with activation, then you can cancel after the first month. So basically another $30 for the line for the first month.

So, there's no activation fee or cancellation fee? I can order it with 1 gb data for $30, get the $250 32gb 5x for $250, and just put my cricket sim inside the phone and cancel the plan in a week? $280 isn't bad...

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I vote Nexus 5X. It goes on sale every other week. So next week it will be on sale again. Last week it was on sale for about how much the Fi deal was without having to sign up for Fi at B&H. It will happen again soon.

The Fi deal is more like $300 after fees, taxes, etc.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I vote Nexus 5X. It goes on sale every other week. So next week it will be on sale again. Last week it was on sale for about how much the Fi deal was without having to sign up for Fi at B&H. It will happen again soon.

The Fi deal is more like $300 after fees, taxes, etc.

So, the 32 gb goes down to $300 often? Which sellers? Amazon has the 16gb for $300 and the 32 gb for $349.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
don't the 5X have performance issues?

It did -- recent updates have ironed out a lot of them. With that said, if performance is the main issue, go with the iPhone SE... it's faster than everything else on this list.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I just can't recommend any mid range android devices. From personal use~ I just couldn't deal with the slowness or the stuttering issues.
Get a previous gen flagship, the only issue is finding one with a fingerprint reader.

Personally I'd grab an iphone.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
It did -- recent updates have ironed out a lot of them. With that said, if performance is the main issue, go with the iPhone SE... it's faster than everything else on this list.

I'm not a super power user. Spotify or podcasts & maps in the car. Twitter & facebook. photos.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
I'm not a super power user. Spotify or podcasts & maps in the car. Twitter & facebook. photos.

For that usage, a Nexus 5X is more than enough. It also has a decent camera and is relatively futureproof in terms of software. Hardware is a bit dated but it will still be relevant for at least 2 more years.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Sounds like you could get by with either, then. Here's what I'd suggest: check out the iPhone SE when it hits stores on Thursday, and see if you like the screen size and overall speed. Compare it with the Nexus 5X (Best Buy carries it). The 5X's larger display will be better for maps, but you might prefer Apple for podcasts and photography.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm leaning towards the 5x. There's no activation fee for Project fi, right? I'll pay $269 for the phone after tax, then activate it on minimum, then cancel, for a ~$30 bill, right?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'm leaning towards the 5x. There's no activation fee for Project fi, right? I'll pay $269 for the phone after tax, then activate it on minimum, then cancel, for a ~$30 bill, right?

Nope, no activation fee. No strange charges, either, and cancellation is easy (just canceled mine).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
So, the 32 gb goes down to $300 often? Which sellers? Amazon has the 16gb for $300 and the 32 gb for $349.

Usually B&H has the best deals. The last one just expired a few days ago so if you want to buy today do the Fi deal.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I just ordered a 5x 32gb through Project Fi. Thanks guys :)

I looked up my current asus zenfone laser, which I bought after breaking my oneplus one. I'll be moving up from a Snapdragon 410 with 2gb of Ram to a Snapdragon 808 with 2gb of ram. That should be a decent upgrade, right?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

I looked up my current asus zenfone laser, which I bought after breaking my oneplus one. I'll be moving up from a Snapdragon 410 with 2gb of Ram to a Snapdragon 808 with 2gb of ram. That should be a decent upgrade, right?

Oh yeah. The 808 is around twice as fast on the CPU, maybe more on the GPU.

Plus the Asus ROMs have all sorts of issues. Nothing beats a Nexus, especially now that Google updated the 5X.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

It's probably going to feel similar to the OnePlus One. It may be a little faster than the ZenFone in multitasking, but not noticeably faster elsewhere. I have a Snapdragon 410 in an LG Tribute 2, and it seems fast enough navigating around the OS, but maybe isn't as fast under heavy load.

Pure Android on the Nexus 5X is going to make a bigger difference than the hardware, though I think CM (and probably OxygenOS, which I haven't used) is as good as (if not better than in a few ways) vanilla Android if you are used to that on the OPO.

Last edited:

JimmyH

Jul 13, 2000
I'm kinda same boat as u. First Nexus 5 cracked screen very easily and Google / LG customer service was a horror leaving me wo/ phone for a good month and $190. So while it would seem a 5x would be perfect, I would not wish Google / LG customer service hell on anyone.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2337159&page=70

Need similar phone as my second Nexus 5 has messed up. "Reboot Loop" only work around is spamming power button w/ a hammer. Power button spam has progressed gradually for months and has reached the F'ing hammer. Second nexus 5 always in case and babied. Gave up on reboot loop and found the "hammer solution" to power button. Banging it real hard on marble table got it almost to boot. Hammer finished it. Figured it be fun to destroy it given how the both nexus 5 have treated me. To my dismay it finally booted :( Doesn't change its dismal battery life. Just want to CL it away and move on. Leaning towards a Honor 5x or a Note 4 refurb. I'd like fingerprint sensor but like a AMOLED screen even more.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
So, I got my Project Fi nexus 5x and was loving it until I tried to tether my tablet.

It said to contact ATT to turn on tethering! I'm on cricket, which uses ATT. Seriously, Google????

So, rooting and putting on a custom rom will allow tethering, right?

jchu14

Jul 5, 2001
So, I got my Project Fi nexus 5x and was loving it until I tried to tether my tablet.

It said to contact ATT to turn on tethering! I'm on cricket, which uses ATT. Seriously, Google????

So, rooting and putting on a custom rom will allow tethering, right?

Before you go through all of that work, you should try to see if other tethering apps will work.

There is FoxFi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

and

ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en (go to menu > tools > net manager)

Tethering through ES File Explorer supposedly bypasses teh carrier check.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Before you go through all of that work, you should try to see if other tethering apps will work.

There is FoxFi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

and

ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en (go to menu > tools > net manager)

Tethering through ES File Explorer supposedly bypasses teh carrier check.

I tried foxfi and it didn't work :(

I'll trie ES File explorer, though, thanks!

Edit: tried ES File Explorer and tapping on create a wireless hotspot doesn't do anything :(

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They have hard enough time copying my fingerprints to paper, don't think I'd ever like to rely on a phone getting it right to let me use it.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If you're OK with Samsung's software layer, the S6 has a great print reader and can be had for around $400. Check eBay, Swappa.