Looking for mac laptop

Fin

Aug 17, 2000
My wife needs a new mac laptop. I am trying to stay between $1400 and $1700 if possible and I want new. Any help would be appreciated.
lmk,
-Fin

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
what is it you exactly need help with? recommendations on where to buy? to get a macbook or macbook pro? what parts to get?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you're only going to go for a brand-new Apple notebook, you're looking at a regular MacBook. I'd get the 2GHz white model, up it to 2GB of RAM from a 3rd-party outlet such as Crucial or Kingston, and (if Mrs. Fin needs the space) go and get an internal SATA notebook drive from a PC reseller -- some shops sell them and usually do it for considerably less than it would cost to upgrade through Apple itself. The regular MacBook line has surprisingly easy access to the hard drive and memory (remove the battery, unscrew an L-shaped plate, and that's it), so it'd make more sense to run out and buy a 160GB drive yourself if 80GB isn't enough.

Apple's refurbs are basically good as new and might let you get away with a MacBook Pro... when they show up there. That's the perpetual challenge of refurb. It's a great place to get a deal, but the deals come and go very quickly.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
is there a certain size your wife is looking for (13.3", 15", 17") and what is she going to be using it for (so we can recommend what she does need)?

amazon sells macbook and macbook pros for a little cheaper than the apple store. this particular one is $1850AR but you can buy some amazon or apple gift cards so you don't spend as much. there are a lot of Buy It Nows that save you 10%. if you bid, you can save more (maybe 25%). so $2000-10% = $1800 -$150 rebate = $1650. 8% tax is gonna come out to $160 though, so be aware of tax and shipping costs and their impacts on the final cost.

are you students? if one the two of you is a student, you can get a discount from apple so that may help (i'm not sure how much of a discount though)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
as far as the discounts go, it is anywhere from $50 off the base price of the entry-level macbook to up to something like $250 off the 17" MBP.

Depending on what you are doing, 2GB is probably overkill. The only reason that I am upgrading to 2GB is because I have Vista on mine, and it isn't completely happy with 1GB. However, right now it does seem to be cheaper to upgrade to 2GB through apple than through newegg for example. Newegg has the 2GB Kit for like $180 right now, whereas you can get the upgrade from apple for $160 after student discount. It is cheaper to get the hard drive elsewhere.

Frugal1ty

Aug 10, 2005
forgive me for what i am about to say but, for 1700 you could blow whatever mac there is at that price out the water (with a pc).
again, i apologize

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
DerSoldat, that may be true, but to some people, Macs are worth the extra money. OS X is a fine OS, and the ability to Dual-Boot OS X and Windows (Legally) is a very nice thing to have. I love my mac, especially how solid it is. Generally, when I use any other laptop, the keyboard flexes as I type, but my macbook is solid as a rock, which is good since i type heavily.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
my hp an d my dad's thinkpad don't flex and my laptop was $840 before taxes...

i agree with your other note on the OS though

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
If it is a 15" that you are looking for in that price range than your only choice is to get a refurbed powerbook. The drawbacks are slower processors, 512MB RAM base (non-apple upgradeable) and no windows dual-booting

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: TheStu
If it is a 15" that you are looking for in that price range than your only choice is to get a refurbed powerbook. The drawbacks are slower processors, 512MB RAM base (non-apple upgradeable) and no windows dual-booting

or go on ebay for a month, buy $1800-2000 worth of amazon gift cards for 10-25% off and get a macbook pro off amazon for $2000-$150rebate. if you get all of them at 10% off, shipped it'll come out to $1794. if you get it for 15% off on average, it'll be $1686 shipped

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Originally posted by: DerSoldat
forgive me for what i am about to say but, for 1700 you could blow whatever mac there is at that price out the water (with a pc).
again, i apologize

Only... not.

The main thing is that there's no factory-fresh MacBook at the $1700 mark, so you can't really do a direct comparison. It's Apple's loss in that there's a chasm between $1500 and $2000. A refurb MacBook Pro at that price could actually be very fast at that price, but wouldn't meet this guy's criteria.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're definitely drawing on the "Macs are always more expensive" myth. Rather than explain, I'll just compare specs between systems:

Apple 2GHz MacBook (white)
- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- Front Row + Apple Remote (always standard!)
- Mac OS X + recovery DVD
- iLife (GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb)
- $1299

HP dv2000t
- 14.1" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive (temporary 120GB promo on right now)
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g wireless (no 802.11n option)
- webcam
- HP Mobile Remote Control ExpressCard
- Vista Home Premium (needed for Front Row-equivalent Media Center)
- recovery DVD (a $19 option, ugh)
- Works 8
- $1282.98... after a $100 discount.

So don't be too quick to assume Fin's wife gets a worse deal by going Mac. :)

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Commodus
again, i apologize

Only... not.

The main thing is that there's no factory-fresh MacBook at the $1700 mark, so you can't really do a direct comparison. It's Apple's loss in that there's a chasm between $1500 and $2000. A refurb MacBook Pro at that price could actually be very fast at that price, but wouldn't meet this guy's criteria.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're definitely drawing on the "Macs are always more expensive" myth. Rather than explain, I'll just compare specs between systems:

- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- $1299

HP dv2000t
- 14.1" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- Bluetooth
- webcam
- Works 8

i agree that macs aren't always a bad value but you are comparing an HP dv2000t while it has no half-decent promotions (when i got mine in september, it was almost $100 cheaper than what i have to pay now), so you can shop around. plus, the dv2000t has much better price/performance in the budget range, not mid-higher range (e.g. it costs $325 for a c2d 2.0GHz, while it costs only $75 to get a decent core duo laptop).

anyways, they each of their strengths and weaknesses. the way you picked the parts, you made the macbook look good. what if we upgraded a 160GB hard drive...the price difference would increase by another $175. add another gig, price difference goes up another $50. anyways, point is there's arguments for both sides.

OP, i still don't think you mentioned what your wife needs a mac for. also, check out other retailers that sell apple laptops (like amazon) and see if there's something you can find)

Frugal1ty

Aug 10, 2005
again, i apologize

Only... not.

- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- $1299

HP dv2000t
- 14.1" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
Bluetooth
- webcam
- Works 8

lol. . . "this guys criteria" ? it's okay to talk directly to me. even if we are on the opposite side of the mac pc schism. . . (like dems and repubs some time). and no i'm not playing off the myth. actually now that macs are more like pc's (componentwise Intel etc) the difference is less noticable and the comparison that i had in mind (simply decided not to post it) was this. (i also realized that there was no mac priced at the 1700 price point).

i'll use the mac in your example

Apple 2GHz MacBook
- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- $1299

VERSUS

ASUS A8 Series A8JP
- 14.1" WXGA+ 1440 x 900 native res
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz
- 1GB DDR2
- 120GB HD
- DVD Super Multi
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g wirless
- webcam
- ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 256MB (512MB 'Hypermemory')
- ASUSDVD 6.0, Power Director V3.0 DE, Medi Show V2.0 SE, Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005, NERO Express V6.0 etc, etc, etc
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Carry bag and optical mouse
- 2 years warranty
- $1,298.99

the only place where the ASUS falls short is wireless n compatibility and the remote? am i right? which can be had for an additional 20 (the notebook does have IrDA). i checked and even the mem config it the same: 512 x2. which is a mutual disadvantage. the difference in native resolution is big in my opinion; not as big as the additional 40GB with the hard drive, because you can upgrade at anytime unlike the LCD. DVD super multi is an advantage if the mac can't use DVD-RAMs which i actually find useful. i think also i read in someone's review saying that the notebook had Lightscribe cap. ASUS must have some confidence in their build quality because this is the only notebook that i can remember recently having a standard 2 year warranty. they throw in an optical mouse and a somewhat cheesy bag too. but the nut that broke the gerbil's tooth is that X1700. i don't need to tell you that the mac's GMA950 is not even close to compitition.

even with the hp example you gave (which actually configs out to 1,243 not 1282.98 and the discout is instant so there is no need to mention it) you have the option of a custom config. if you're feeling industrious you can have the thing made sans processor and memory buy the stuff yourself and install it yourself. this would save you an additional ~150.

getting a mac is only a worse deal if you belive it is. if you justify it then it's worth it to you. for some people that ASUS, loaded as it is, is not enough to make the difference between that mac they want. an with other people, who require those unique, nobody-else-has-got-it items, they wouldn't be caught dead with that milky white mac.

welp, thas all i have to say. i knew i prolly shoulda jus not said anything, sometimes i can't help it though. :)

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
again, i apologize

Only... not.

- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- $1299

HP dv2000t
- 14.1" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
Bluetooth
- webcam
- Works 8

lol. . . "this guys criteria" ? it's okay to talk directly to me. even if we are on the opposite side of the mac pc schism. . . (like dems and repubs some time). and no i'm not playing off the myth. actually now that macs are more like pc's (componentwise Intel etc) the difference is less noticable and the comparison that i had in mind (simply decided not to post it) was this. (i also realized that there was no mac priced at the 1700 price point).

i'll use the mac in your example

Apple 2GHz MacBook
- 13.3" 1280x800 screen
- 2GHz Core 2 Duo
- 1GB of RAM
- 80GB hard drive
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g/n wireless
- iSight webcam
- $1299

VERSUS

ASUS A8 Series A8JP
- 14.1" WXGA+ 1440 x 900 native res
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz
- 1GB DDR2
- 120GB HD
- DVD Super Multi
- Bluetooth
- 802.11a/b/g wirless
- webcam
- ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 256MB (512MB 'Hypermemory')
- ASUSDVD 6.0, Power Director V3.0 DE, Medi Show V2.0 SE, Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005, NERO Express V6.0 etc, etc, etc
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Carry bag and optical mouse
- 2 years warranty
- $1,298.99

the only place where the ASUS falls short is wireless n compatibility and the remote? am i right? which can be had for an additional 20 (the notebook does have IrDA). i checked and even the mem config it the same: 512 x2. which is a mutual disadvantage. the difference in native resolution is big in my opinion; not as big as the additional 40GB with the hard drive, because you can upgrade at anytime unlike the LCD. DVD super multi is an advantage if the mac can't use DVD-RAMs which i actually find useful. i think also i read in someone's review saying that the notebook had Lightscribe cap. ASUS must have some confidence in their build quality because this is the only notebook that i can remember recently having a standard 2 year warranty. they throw in an optical mouse and a somewhat cheesy bag too. but the nut that broke the gerbil's tooth is that X1700. i don't need to tell you that the mac's GMA950 is not even close to compitition.

even with the hp example you gave (which actually configs out to 1,243 not 1282.98 and the discout is instant so there is no need to mention it) you have the option of a custom config. if you're feeling industrious you can have the thing made sans processor and memory buy the stuff yourself and install it yourself. this would save you an additional ~150.

getting a mac is only a worse deal if you belive it is. if you justify it then it's worth it to you. for some people that ASUS, loaded as it is, is not enough to make the difference between that mac they want. an with other people, who require those unique, nobody-else-has-got-it items, they wouldn't be caught dead with that milky white mac.

welp, thas all i have to say. i knew i prolly shoulda jus not said anything, sometimes i can't help it though. :)

That ASUS is a nice machine, and I have never had any problems with ASUS stuff in the past (don't they make the macbooks?) But, I have completely switched over to the shiny side and use OS X almost exclusively. Some things are still easier to do in windows (though Vista is trying its hardest to make them hard... take a look at the new control panel, and see if you immediately know what to access to remove a program, i didn't get it at first myself)

But, as you pretty much said, to each their own.

When I got my macbook, it was the best priced machine in its class (12-14" displays) at its configuration. Plus since I am a Software Engineering Student, it helps to have the ability to run all the OSes on one machine.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

That was actually quite well-reasoned. Thanks! And I apologize for using the third-person, since I didn't mean anything negative by that.

I mentioned the discounts because high-volume resellers like Dell and HP regularly rotate deals in and out of their store -- the $1283 price I quoted was accurate just a few days ago. There's a good chance you'll get some discount when you go shopping, but which one? Also, will it be as good as the one you had the week before?

You're right about the ASUS system. It could be a better deal if you're looking for a mainstream game laptop. Me, I'd rather have the MacBook because I prefer the OS and the way it works with the hardware. You could also argue that less experienced or less patient users (i.e. not you or I) would probably appreciate not having to maintain the performance security of the system as thoroughly as you do on Windows.

Frugal1ty

Aug 10, 2005
yeah you're right about that rebate stuff, i was gonna get a dv2000t system but waited until after the superbowl because i knew they were gonna have a commercial in there and i thought they might also have a good deal to go along with it. but the price actually went up! to pay for that minute long commercial i guess. i am conflicted with that hp, because honestly i don't think it looks as good as everybody says it does. i took a look at the hp at compusa and that imprint finish stuf is way too gaudy and shiny (if you want a webcam on your hp you are forced! into the imprint finish). i would likely prefer something more understated like the mac, even though i never have ben a fan of the bubblyness in their design. plus the mac folk do a better job of keepin their stuf thin. hp lies to you talkin bout some 'thin 1 inch road warrior design' without tellin you that it gets to be a whole lot fatter in the back with that ugly wedge design. for this reason i would like to enjoy a laptop of my own design. but that's the artist in me talking. and also the reason why i could never do mac; i'd be suffering every time i walked down the hall and saw seven different people with the same machine as me.
piece
ds