Looking for luxury type SUV

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm looking to drive something nicer than my Mazda now that I have to still commute to work. Not a long commute but my current car is getting up there near 100k miles.

I drove the following:

2022 Audi Q5

2020 BMW X3 M40i

Will be driving a 2020 Porsche Macan this weekend.

Right now it's between the Macan and the BMW m40i.

The BMW was the most fun to drive I tried the all wheel drive regular v4 turbo then the v6 turbo..the v6 sounds better and is quicker, handles a little better but I didn't see an issue with the v4 model, it's enough I think.

The Q5 to me seemed nicer than the bmw in terms of interior, less plastics. The drive and suspension is smooth but not as fun. I'd compare it to the Lexus Rx350.

I'm loving the look of the Macan and I can probably get one used for $48k with like 20k miles. I'd be trading in my car and also putting some money down.

Any others I should look into?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I honestly don't understand the concept of strapping an ungainly living room to 4 wheels, giving it a big engine and calling it a "performance vehicle."

Wouldn't you be better off with a comfortable actual performance car for this purpose and leave the mobile living room needs to your more than adequate Mazda?

Or why not one of those Lexus SUV whatevers that never seem to die? It's luxury enough and doesn't usually have to pretend to be a performance vehicle, right?

Reactions: repoman0

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Lexus cars are nice but I feel like they are more tame. If I end up with a Lexus I would probably buy new because used rx350 models with features I want and even 30-40k miles are selling for pretty high prices compared to new. Last I checked a 2-3 year old rx350 with like 35k miles went for 10k less than a new one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lexus cars are nice but I feel like they are more tame. If I end up with a Lexus I would probably buy new because used rx350 models with features I want and even 30-40k miles are selling for pretty high prices compared to new. Last I checked a 2-3 year old rx350 with like 35k miles went for 10k less than a new one.

sure, but that doesn't address my semi-trollish-yet-honest-point. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
sure, but that doesn't address my semi-trollish-yet-honest-point. :D
Well to be fair the Macan and the m40i X3 are more like crossover sport cars rather than full blown SUV's.

You get more trunk space than a sedan, maybe a bit more room in the front, back seats are similar in size and all wheel drive.

I suppose there is a market for these type of cars. The macan also has a V6 model but that's more than I want to spend honestly. It seems every manufacturer has a performance model to complement their base models.

Personally I wanted a Tesla model Y but after seeing how they are now 70k after configuration or so that's when I started comparing it to the Porsche.

Personally I just want to drive something nicer but I'm not 100% set on anything yet.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
My wife and I tried all of the above when we were shopping for her and ended up buying a Mazda CX-5 turbo. Similar interior quality, better steering and more driver-focused feel, and like $20k minimum less money. Makes sense from the company that still makes a good Miata vs the trash that BMW and Audi are cranking out. I really wanted to like the BMW as a longtime owner and driver of 6-speed E46 M3 and E39 M5 from the early 2000s.

That said, crossovers are terrible, buy a wagon if you need the space.

Reactions: zinfamous

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Maybe I'm just used to how my Mazda 6 handles but I didn't enjoy the CX-5. I also drove the CX 50. The 50 seemed like it had more room than the 5 but felt just as boxy.

Either one of these were supposed to be for my fiance but then she changed her mind to Volvo and never actually found an SUV to buy for what she wants to pay.

She drives a c300 Mercedes with a turbo which is really fun. Which she would want to keep so if I'm gonna have a car payment because I currently don't, I'd rather drive something nice that feels like it's worth paying monthly for lol.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Maybe I'm just used to how my Mazda 6 handles but I didn't enjoy the CX-5. I also drove the CX 50. The 50 seemed like it had more room than the 5 but felt just as boxy.

Either one of these were supposed to be for my fiance but then she changed her mind to Volvo and never actually found an SUV to buy for what she wants to pay.

She drives a c300 Mercedes with a turbo which is really fun. Which she would want to keep so if I'm gonna have a car payment because I currently don't, I'd rather drive something nice that feels like it's worth paying monthly for lol.

The CX5 with a turbo in a higher trim is a lot nicer than the base. But yeah, it’s still a crossover so it won’t be as fun or satisfying to drive as a car. This is why car people like wagons … all the practicality and interior room of a crossover or small SUV but with no performance or driving dynamics compromises.

I’m on the lookout for a BMW E61 5-series sport wagon with a manual myself if a recession special pops up. I’m starting to not want to subject my E39 to the salt and want a winter beater that still feels like a proper car.

Probably stating the obvious here but a Mazda 6 with 100k miles has another 100-200k miles left in it. Give it fresh shocks, struts and rubber bushings all around and it will feel new again. Not that it matters if you just want something different but just pointing out that that’s not a lot of miles.

Reactions: sze5003

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The Macan is considered a driver's car and depreciates slowly. If you can stand the less than stellar cargo room in the rear, it's probably the best compact crossover you can buy for superior driving dynamics. Unfortunately the cost is fairly extreme due to Porsche options, even if you're targeting a lightly used one.

I've never heard anyone call a C300 really fun lol. :p

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Macan hands down of those options, I get the base one as a loaner when my 911 is in the shop. It drives like a Porsche and the suspension is miles ahead of my Model Y. Once the Macan EV comes out I will strongly considering buying one.

IMG_7724-2.jpg
img_7713-2.jpg

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I already am approved from my credit union.

Someone mentioned Porsche usually prefers to have you finance with them but their interest rates start at like 7%.

Now it's just a matter of finding one for the right price used if I like how they drive.

Then I basically just have to negotiate the price and negotiate my trade in, add my down payment and write them the numbers on the blank check from my bank.

This is the first time I would be going in with a pre approval amount so I'm curious how they are going to play with the numbers. I'm open to financing with them as long as they can beat the rate I got but I feel like they won't like it too much.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I honestly don't understand the concept of strapping an ungainly living room to 4 wheels, giving it a big engine and calling it a "performance vehicle."

Wouldn't you be better off with a comfortable actual performance car for this purpose and leave the mobile living room needs to your more than adequate Mazda?

Or why not one of those Lexus SUV whatevers that never seem to die? It's luxury enough and doesn't usually have to pretend to be a performance vehicle, right?

You mean this one?3474F69B-1ADA-468D-815F-08754CA02809.jpeg

I friggin love this beast. Yeah, it is a body on frame truck basically but it is so comfortable and it is very capable off road. Mileage is poor but you don’t buy a $60k luxury SUV for the mileage. Besides, I am not driving it to work every day since I work from home a couple days a week.

I wouldn’t buy a used German car.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Drove the Porsche and loved how it drives and handles. It really didn't feel like I was driving a v4. It's miles better driving experience in my opinion compared to the rest of the models.

This was a 2021 with 14k miles pretty much fully loaded.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
We've had the Acura MDX for a year and a half and we love it. Drives great, ton of room, very comfortable. They recently came out with a sportier version if you're looking for something with a little more zip.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Don’t those start at $120k?
Minor detail
Drove the Porsche and loved how it drives and handles. It really didn't feel like I was driving a flat4. It's miles better driving experience in my opinion compared to the rest of the models.

This was a 2021 with 14k miles pretty much fully loaded.
From what I understand the 4 banger models handle better because less weight.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Don’t those start at $120k?
You bought your C63 cruiser brand new?

If I'm not mistaken, Porsches have good reliability so excluding a lightly used example for that reason doesn't add up. Money wise, they depreciate slowly so an argument could be made to buy brand new if you can afford it. And not to put much stock into vehicle surveys, but the latest Consumer Reports rankings had BMW as top 4 in reliability LOL? IMO German cars are mostly as reliable as other makes (with some occasional overengineering or gremlins); but their maintenance and repair costs are certainly more expensive. For good and bad, German marques are not similar to Toyota/Lexus.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, Porsches have good reliability so excluding a lightly used example for that reason doesn't add up. Money wise, they depreciate slowly so an argument could be made to buy brand new if you can afford it. And not to put much stock into vehicle surveys, but the latest Consumer Reports rankings had BMW as top 4 in reliability LOL? IMO German cars are mostly as reliable as other makes (with some occasional overengineering or gremlins); but their maintenance and repair costs are certainly more expensive. For good and bad, German marques are not similar to Toyota/Lexus.
The one I'm interested in is 2021 with 14k miles. Has all the options that interest me and I can get it for 44 and some change out the door. It's also certified preowned so the warranty is good until 2027.

If I decide by tomorrow I can probably take it home Wednesday.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I bought it CPO and paid $57k for it with 17k miles on it. MSRP originally was $85k. I drove it for 2.5 years and put 22k miles on it then traded it in for the Lexus. They gave me $52k for it on trade. In a normal used car market it probably would have been worth $38k but my timing was excellent. One of those rare occasions that I was able to really make a great deal getting out of a car that I didn’t love. Maintenance is really expensive on an AMG Mercedes and it went through tires and brakes like nothing I’ve ever owned. Plus, the top noises drove me nuts so I was glad to get rid of it when I did. Fuck that car was fast though.

The dealer I traded the Mercedes to priced it way too high and it sat for 4 months on their lot. They kept lowering the price until it was actually less than they gave me for it on trade in and I know they put new rear tires on it, fixed some minor curb rash on the wheels and did rear pads. It needed nothing else though, all the maintenance was up to date on it.

I paid MSRP for the Lexus.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The one I'm interested in is 2021 with 14k miles. Has all the options that interest me and I can get it for 44 and some change out the door. It's also certified preowned so the warranty is good until 2027.

If I decide by tomorrow I can probably take it home Wednesday.
Sounds reasonable. Good luck!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sounds reasonable. Good luck!
Yup I'm having them take it to a shop to do a pre purchase inspection this week. At first they were saying it's really not needed as it's fairly new and only used as a loaner vehicle.

But one of the managers at the dealership had his 911 engine rebuilt there and he approved for it to go over there so they can inspect it.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Yup I'm having them take it to a shop to do a pre purchase inspection this week. At first they were saying it's really not needed as it's fairly new and only used as a loaner vehicle.

But one of the managers at the dealership had his 911 engine rebuilt there and he approved for it to go over there so they can inspect it.
it was a loaner/demo? was it the general managers car or was it a loaner provided to people taking it for service? If the later I can tell you that I didn't treat my loaners from Porsche very well....

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
it was a loaner/demo? was it the general managers car or was it a loaner provided to people taking it for service? If the later I can tell you that I didn't treat my loaners from Porsche very well....
Yea a loaner/demo. They sent me over the Carfax and auto check report. Waiting on the service order report for any work that was done on it.

That's exactly what I told the sales.manager too is that loaners typically probably get beat up on and he was like oh so if we give you a loaner are you gonna beat it up? Obviously no I take care of my cars lol but still.

I'm still going to have the pre purchase inspection done. It's got like 14k miles and is all up to date on maintenance intervals so I'm hoping it will be good.