Looking for laser MFP recommendations

Chrishuff1

Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2000
We currently have 3 HP M127FN's in the office, 1 is used as a printer as well as for copies (sometimes fax) the other 2 are basically just used for strictly copying. These 3 locations previously had Brother devices but I got sick of spending a fortune on toner and drum units so I would like to avoid Brother devices at all costs. The HP's work fine (they're only about 2 months old) but staff keep complaining of how slow they are to copy. What other options do I have?

WackyWRZ

Mar 8, 2014
I've often found Brothers to be one of the cheaper printers to maintain due to the availability and consistency of the "generic" supplies. Plus if you get one where the toner/drum are separate that really helps to keep costs down.

Here at work we've recently switched over to Canon imageCLASS MFPs and I haven't heard any complaints probably in-part because most people were coming from Lexmark junk. I don't handle toner ordering anymore so I'm not sure what the cost looks like for supplies. We also do have a few HP M575 MFPs and the biggest complaint is the time for first page - or the "please wait" message when you wake it up. Have you tried disabling any of the energy saving settings?

Chrishuff1

Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2000
I've often found Brothers to be one of the cheaper printers to maintain due to the availability and consistency of the "generic" supplies. Plus if you get one where the toner/drum are separate that really helps to keep costs down.

Here at work we've recently switched over to Canon imageCLASS MFPs and I haven't heard any complaints probably in-part because most people were coming from Lexmark junk. I don't handle toner ordering anymore so I'm not sure what the cost looks like for supplies. We also do have a few HP M575 MFPs and the biggest complaint is the time for first page - or the "please wait" message when you wake it up. Have you tried disabling any of the energy saving settings?

See, the toner/drum being separate actually upped our costs haha. I've educated these people time and time again but they'll put the $125 drum in and not go to the settings to say they replaced it, a week later it still says replace drum so they do. Gets expensive real fast. I've actually been looking at Canons and they seem to be speedier than the HP's we have so I might give one of those a shot. Yes, the please wait thing is frustrating. Usually takes about a minute for the first copy and when you've got several patients waiting in line it adds to the frustration.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
See, the toner/drum being separate actually upped our costs haha. I've educated these people time and time again but they'll put the $125 drum in and not go to the settings to say they replaced it, a week later it still says replace drum so they do. Gets expensive real fast. I've actually been looking at Canons and they seem to be speedier than the HP's we have so I might give one of those a shot. Yes, the please wait thing is frustrating. Usually takes about a minute for the first copy and when you've got several patients waiting in line it adds to the frustration.
Nice, the Canons at our clients' offices rarely cause issues but just about everyone seems to use HP or f***ing Ricoh/Savin. I wish they would use anything BUT HP or Ricoh.

WackyWRZ

Mar 8, 2014

That's hilarious - we had the same issue with Lexmarks and the separate toner/drum thing. So we stopped letting people have access to the drums. If I saw a photo-conductor light / message on I would just reset it anyway and wait for someone to complain about print quality... Then I would try a drum and it would fix it 99% of the time.

Since switching to the Canons we've not had one bit of trouble with them. We've even been testing re-filled/reman toners and that has not been an issue either.