Looking for good first person RPG ala Morrowind & Oblivion?

jakobkraft

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2002
Was looking to get into gaming again, but I was only ever really into Morrowind and then Oblivion. But I've gone though all the mods of both games and all the sidequests (except for the last few of the Daedric Shrine quests in Oblivion, but at that point it was really starting to feel like milking a dead cow). I didn't care at all for the isometric look of the first Neverwinter Nights (haven't seen 2 but I would think it would be modelled after its successful predecessor).

I haven't updated my system in awhile but I think it still holds up pretty well - 3.2 GHz, P4 HT, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 512 MB ATI X1900 XTX, 300GB HD 7200 RPM, XP PRO SP2. Oblivion wasn't a problem at all at high settings.
So basically, looking for a pretty RPG, first person, NOT strategy-based, similar to Morrowind or Oblivion. Any possibilities? Thanks in advance...!

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Deus Ex 1
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (3rd person for non-ranged combat / feeding)

Both are on steam and are excellent games. If you go with Vampire, be sure to use the latest community updates (you have a variety to chose from), it IS buggy even with the 1.2 "official" patch. Activision fired the staff of Troika long before the game was ready and pronounced it finished. Sad story actually...

Anyway, both of those games are better than The Elder Scrolls III and IV (Morrowind and Oblivion). They are a bit more linear than Oblivion, but what you are doing has more of a point to it.

Crafty35a

Feb 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Deus Ex 1

Both are on steam and are excellent games. If you go with Vampire, be sure to use the latest community updates (you have a variety to chose from), it IS buggy even with the 1.2 "official" patch. Activision fired the staff of Troika long before the game was ready and pronounced it finished. Sad story actually...

Anyway, both of those games are better than The Elder Scrolls III and IV (Morrowind and Oblivion). They are a bit more linear than Oblivion, but what you are doing has more of a point to it.

I'll second these recommendations. Only one quibble - I think Schadenfroh is selling Morrowind short. Morrowind was one of my favorite games of all time, and overall was much better than Oblivion, in my opinion.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Have you gone through all of the quest mods for Oblivion? There are some really good ones I can think of. Blood and Mud and Tears of the Fiend are some of the best. There are also plenty of others.

The way I see Oblivion was that it was a rather average game before the modding community started up. They are the ones who really turned it into GOTY. They fixed many issues like leveling and the interface. They also added so many good quest mods that made up for the lack of a good story.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Bloodlines, KOTOR1, The Witcher, and the Gothic games are all good choices. G3 is very buggy though, be warned.

The community really did wonders with Bloodlines, with what they had to work with, and the community patches resolve a lot of issues, but there still are bugs.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Deus Ex 1

Vampire doesn't run on some computers, so be sure to research those issues as well. It's not just buggy, it downright won't run on certain video cards (most of the GeForce 8xxx series supposedly, and my x800 XL can't run it either, but my old school Radeon 9600 XT can :p)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 were fantastic (KOTOR 1 was better overall, KOTOR 2 had more nifty things... sadly a lot of its content was left out, and it is noticeable at some parts, but at least it runs well).

It's not first person, but I'm going to recommend Fallout and Fallout 2 if you never played them.

jakobkraft

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Crafty35a
Deus Ex 1

I'll second these recommendations. Only one quibble - I think Schadenfroh is selling Morrowind short. Morrowind was one of my favorite games of all time, and overall was much better than Oblivion, in my opinion.

I totally agree...I couldn't believe how quickly I finished Oblivion (was admittedly engrossed largely because of all the purty foliage) and had to go over a few walkthroughs to see if I actually did them all. Then went back to Morrowind to realize how much I'd missed (and how much harder the progression was - like you don't automatically advance in any guild JUST by completing quests. In Oblivion, do what a Guildmaster tells you and you advance - no questions asked. In Morrowind, do what one Guildmaster tells you and you come to a point where they say "Sorry, I do have things for you to do, but you have to be a higher rank," so you're forced to go off and increase your skills another way, or see another guildmaster that will oblige your skill level, etc. But I can see how the 'dumbing down' was good for business, console appeal, and such...

jakobkraft

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
Have you gone through all of the quest mods for Oblivion? There are some really good ones I can think of. Blood and Mud and Tears of the Fiend are some of the best. There are also plenty of others.

The way I see Oblivion was that it was a rather average game before the modding community started up. They are the ones who really turned it into GOTY. They fixed many issues like leveling and the interface. They also added so many good quest mods that made up for the lack of a good story.

Actually, no. I did all the official mods - Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, etc. Maybe I'll check some of those others out - just with community mods (like in Morrowind) there are not always terribly stable.
But I'll look into it - thanks:)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The only games with the wide open worlds comparable to the Elder Scrolls Series are: The Might & Magic games (except Dark Messiah), STALKER, Gothic series, and perhaps some lesser known titles I cant think of right now.

Some of the other games mentioned are really fun, but they arent like Oblivion or Morrowind.