Looking for good compact PC/Barebones

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I am looking for a small computer to replace a 6 yr old dual core system. I would like it to at least have room for a couple of sticks of RAM and a Laptop HD. I would like VGA or DVI and I don't care if it has HDMI or not. It needs to have several USB ports at least 4. I will be running Win 7 Home Premium on it most likely. It will be used for a kids computer in a common area. It does not need to be that fast. It also needs to have an Ethernet port. I don't care if it has bluetooth or wifi built in.

The current system had an E4500 dual core chip in it. Lightening took out the motherboard and I doubt I will find the exact board that is in it now, ASUS P5KPL-CM. If I can use some of the old components over that would be great. Everything else is good. The green LED lights up but it won't come on. Power supply is good and power switch is good. It ran for a little while then died.

Perry

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I am looking for a small computer to replace a 6 yr old dual core system. I would like it to at least have room for a couple of sticks of RAM and a Laptop HD. I would like VGA or DVI and I don't care if it has HDMI or not. It needs to have several USB ports at least 4. I will be running Win 7 Home Premium on it most likely. It will be used for a kids computer in a common area. It does not need to be that fast. It also needs to have an Ethernet port. I don't care if it has bluetooth or wifi built in.

The current system had an E4500 dual core chip in it. Lightening took out the motherboard and I doubt I will find the exact board that is in it now, ASUS P5KPL-CM. If I can use some of the old components over that would be great. Everything else is good. The green LED lights up but it won't come on. Power supply is good and power switch is good. It ran for a little while then died.

Perry

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856102057

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The current system had an E4500 dual core chip in it. Lightening took out the motherboard and I doubt I will find the exact board that is in it now, ASUS P5KPL-CM.

I would add a used SFF Core 2 pre-built to your list of desktops to consider. Something with four RAM slots so you can add your existing DDR2 RAM would probably be a good idea,

Without OS you should be able find something for around $50 shipped (from a reputable seller on Ebay). With Windows 7 they go for money (sometimes not that much more).

P.S. Some of the ebay sellers also have Core 2 Pre-builts without HDDs in them. The degree of testing varies, but they tend to go pretty cheap and that is something to consider if you already have HDD and OS. YMMV and Buyer Beware though.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Might consider a Mini-ITX or a Mini STX system. Asrock makes a couple of nice barebones systems like the Mini Desk 110 and 310. It comes with VGA, DP, and HDMI. It can use a M.2 drive and wireless card. No Video card slot. It uses desktop CPU's up to 65 watts. There are 2 Mounting points for 2.5 drives under the motherboard with Data/power connections on the bottom of the motherboard. It has minimal USB connections. With smaller size there are some limitations.