Looking for cheap X99 CPU for media server. New purchase recently...

radeson

Dec 20, 2014
Hello,

I have an 8 year old HP computer with a dual core running a media center computer. I have Plex media server and Team Speak installed on Ubuntu server. I recently added a bunch of movies and TV shows to the hard drive. Well, for the most part I haven't had any problems streaming media, I have had a few of the larger media files freeze up or play jittery. I get a message that "the server is not powerful enough to encode the video for smooth playback".

Here is my plan: I have an "Asus x-99a USB3.1" motherboard installed in a case with everything but the processor. What I need is a cheap solution to possibly make this into a media center computer. I was looking on Ebay and thinking of possibly getting a cheap used XEON processor. Because the cheapest possible consumer X99 chip is more than 350 bucks. I really don't want to spend that much.

My question is this: Is this Xeon a good choice? : XEON

Also since the Clock speed of this xeon is 2.3Ghz, is it even remotely possible to dual boot this in the future and run any games on this CPU?
And will the 2.3ghz clock speed be sufficient enough for a plex server?
I'm assuming that this is overpowered for a mediaserver, but it's just sitting there....

Any and all advice is welcome....

Last edited:

radeson

Dec 20, 2014
Hello all,

I just made an impulsive decision. I decided to buy a 6800k broadwell cpu. I found one on Ebay brand new for $390. BNIB. I couldnt turn it down. Seeing as im looking for a cheap option for my sever computer with the option t dual boot into windows. While at the same time I wanted to have a high enough clock speed. I hope ZI made the right decision.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Why does the description say "Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K 6950X"?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Why does the description say "Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K 6950X"?
They list this Xeon as Socket R3 which should be compatible with the 6800 series (Broadwell-E) unless I've missed something and there is an interim motherboard requirement between B-E and Skylake-E :hmm:

Might as well go with one (or two!) of the $70 2670's on a Socket R board (DDR3) if cost is a concern.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
.... for a plex media server i think its honestly a waste.

Were talking about a power hungry chip, with a power hungry platform.

I honestly think u were better off going intel Avoton with ECC DDR3, that way you could also load freenas and use the plex plugin to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Something like this guy...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7970/asrock-rack-c2750d4i-review-a-storage-motherboard-with-management

price wise, the board and cpu combo should come out to about the same cost of that processor.