Looking for an MP3CD Head Unit for Girlfriend...

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
First, it must not stick out. We put a Kenwood one in there, and it stuck out, where her last one was pretty much flush. It didn't look right in her CRX.

Second, it must be black, though some dark silver or grey trim might be acceptable, but nothing shiny.

Third, we need red-lit buttons, or buttons that can be changed to be red! And preferrably white lettering for the screen, not some bright, obtrusively back-lit blue.

Any ideas? She would highly appreciate it.

I might even post a :camera: if you're helpful ;).

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i'm pretty happy with my Sony Xplod head... they usually have pretty good cost/benefit sound quality and if you pair them with some nice speakers its killer

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
How's this?

that looks nice but look at the specs... 18w RMS??? WTF!!!!!! that's crap! unless you don't care about sound quality/volume that's unacceptable... i suppose you get what you pay for though! :)

edit: i'd say go for like 40-50W RMS for a sweet sounding not too expensive setup

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: franguinho
How's this?

that looks nice but look at the specs... 18w RMS??? WTF!!!!!! that's crap! unless you don't care about sound quality/volume that's unacceptable... i suppose you get what you pay for though! :)

edit: i'd say go for like 40-50W RMS for a sweet sounding not too expensive setup

That's per channel, so 72 watts altogether. My Clarion has the same amount of power and it gets plenty loud.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
How's this?

Yeah, that one is a little... below what we're looking for. Really though one of the biggest problems is that it is just pretty ugly, and it has that large silver strip. Thanks very much for helping though.

Also, head units don't put out 40-50w RMS. If you find one, let me know!

DarkKnight69

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: homestarmy
How's this?

Yeah, that one is a little... below what we're looking for. Really though one of the biggest problems is that it is just pretty ugly, and it has that large silver strip. Thanks very much for helping though.

Also, head units don't put out 40-50w RMS. If you find one, let me know!

Lol, I laughed at that, there are def no decks with 50watts RMS. This is a 40watt max deck, so not so bad...

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: j00fek
i have this one http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0GlNZbhktId/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP580, play burnt cds , everything else

man its 25.00 cheaper than when i got it! bahh :p

For her, it's too silver, and those things definately stick out. I had a lower version of that one and I didn't really like it at all (though I was a Pioneer fan). Ironically I now have a Kenwood that I like a lot better, and I was never a Kenwood fan at all.

My kickass headunit!

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
It's actually kind of tough to find "understated" head units these days. I was looking a couple of years ago and I ended up with an almost all-black Clarion that I have been happy with.

It looks like these days all of Clarion's models have some silver trim, but not a huge amount. There is a relatively affordable model that has a multicolor main display (I haven't seen it in person, so I don't know how bright it is, but at least it's not just "obtrusively back-lit blue" - it appears to default to a slightly greenish color on a black background if the pictures are accurate). It also has 728 selectable accent colors so there is probably a red that's pretty close to the existing gauge cluster lighting. The price is around $200 online.
http://clarion.com/us/en/products/2006/...MP/us-en-product-pf_1134643389110.html

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Thanks! That one looks good. I was hoping for a little cheaper, but I just may go for that.

Which one did you go with? Got a link? I'm interested...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
The model I bought is the DXZ545MP. It's got kind of a lot of writing on it, but it has a very small amount of silver on it, mostly just the volume knob which is metal so it doesn't look cheesy. However, it does have blue-tinged buttons and the screen is the "backlit blue" type that it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

What you would probably want to look for would be the DXZ745MP, which is a higher end-model from the same time that has similar styling but adds color changing-capability to the (monochrome) LCD and buttons. Here is a pic and some reviews on Epinions. And here's another pic (looks like most pics are of the default blue setting). Looks like they're still somewhat spendy on eBay, though.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Thanks! That one looks good. I was hoping for a little cheaper, but I just may go for that.

Which one did you go with? Got a link? I'm interested...

Now that you have a good suggestion, :camera:?

:evil:

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I didn't read the whole thread but I love my Alpine headunit and think they start at a higher quality level than most of the stuff you find at Best Buy. I'd grab an Alpine and call it a day, they're simple MP3 CD players and last a long time, not to mention have excellent sound quality.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
any that play dvd/mp3s? i mean seriously, even 50 dollar dvd players can do mp3 now....

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Yeah, for the $250 pricetag of the best one mentioned so far, one would think it could play DVDs. That would be a HUGE plus, and be worth paying extra for.