Looking for an MMO

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I know there are a lot of this type of thread around but none are really getting into what I am looking for.

I played FFXI back in the day and hated it. It took an age to do anything, extremely grindy and you HAD to party to progress beyond about level 12. I did not enjoy WoW when I gave that a whirl.

The MMO I am looking for is something that is highly PvE centric, I am not a fan of PVP as I lack the skill and killer instinct to do so. Soloable content is a must, I generally dont get a lot of time to play and it is always difficult to login, get a group and spend a lot of time with a party bashing the heck out of something.

I am happy in any sort of background whether it be fantasy or sci-fi.... It just seems so difficult to pick one up and look into it MMO's.

Could anyone shed any light?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex
Age of Conan?

Any elaboration as to why AoC is the right MMO for me?

Just a brief look at an AoC forum makes it look interesting on the purely solo levlling aspect. What else will pull me in?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: derdrache
PVP really makes this game fun, you should reconsider that aspect.

For you, not for everyone.

OP, you might see if a really different MMO catches your fancy, 'A Tale in the Desert'.

It's a non-combat MMORPG, which is built around literally building a society, all tradeskills, foraging, and other peaceful activities, some requiring co-operation, some solo.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Elcs
Age of Conan?

Just a brief look at an AoC forum makes it look interesting on the purely solo levlling aspect. What else will pull me in?

it has pve content, the only 2 requirements you listed? :confused:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
They are all the exact same thing with different skins, pick the cheapest one and go play it :\

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know there are a lot of this type of thread around but none are really getting into what I am looking for.

I played FFXI back in the day and hated it. It took an age to do anything, extremely grindy and you HAD to party to progress beyond about level 12. I did not enjoy WoW when I gave that a whirl.

The MMO I am looking for is something that is highly PvE centric, I am not a fan of PVP as I lack the skill and killer instinct to do so. Soloable content is a must, I generally dont get a lot of time to play and it is always difficult to login, get a group and spend a lot of time with a party bashing the heck out of something.

I am happy in any sort of background whether it be fantasy or sci-fi.... It just seems so difficult to pick one up and look into it MMO's.

Tabula Rasa might be your cup o tea.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
i also recommend AOC

ive been playing it and its highly soloable..theres also end game PVP content that has potential but you dont have to play for PVP in this one unless you want to

swaytech

Jan 17, 2006
How would one be able to get into AOC at this time, is there enough of a fan base to start playing the game now?

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
I just started AoC, make sure you pick a pve server and not a pvp server if you don't like pvp. The servers have tons of people on them and ganking on the pvp servers is everywhere. All in all I am really liking AoC.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
EQ 2 has solo content, as well as group content that you can do for a couple hours.
LOTRO is very solo friendly as well. You will need to group for some parts of the storyline book/chapter quests though.

BradAtWork

Sep 5, 2005
I hated WoW when I first played it. Made it to about level 12 and chucked it.

Gave it another go 6 months later and really like it.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Narse
I just started AoC, make sure you pick a pve server and not a pvp server if you don't like pvp. The servers have tons of people on them and ganking on the pvp servers is everywhere. All in all I am really liking AoC.

Right now theres no rhyme or reason on the PvP servers. Its like you help people kill gankers, and then those you helped gank you in return.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Right now theres no rhyme or reason on the PvP servers. Its like you help people kill gankers, and then those you helped gank you in return.

Sounds like a normal day in Eve for me

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Age of Conan?

Why play an MMO if you're mainly gonna be soloing? Try Guild Wars, at least then you're not paying monthly to only partially play a game. The later releases are more solo friendly, Nightfall and Eye of the North.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Why play an MMO if you're mainly gonna be soloing? Try Guild Wars, at least then you're not paying monthly to only partially play a game. The later releases are more solo friendly, Nightfall and Eye of the North.

Absolutely!! I have been playing Guild Wars for quite some time. The reasons I enjoy it are as follows.

1) It is a game I can pick up and play an hour or two and then set back down. I never "need" to find a group to solo anything. I beat the original (Guild Wars: Prophecies) using only henchmen (computer controller helpers).

2) No Monthly subscription fees. You can get the platinum edition which features Guild Wars Prophecies and the expansion pack Factions at most major retailers for $39.99. You never pay any more fees.

3) No random battles. One thing I hated about Wow is that I could be walking around and just get killed out of the blue by someone. Yes, I mistakenly chose a pvp/pve server..but I was a newb and didnt know better. Also, in WoW there are no henchies..so you need a group for just about everything

4) Community- Guild Wars is very community based, and everyone is very helpful!

If you decide to try it.. Guild Wars - Nightfall is my personal favorite out of all of them. Not only can you get henchmen, but in Nightfall you get heroes..they are players you can control and spec out the way you want them. Very helpful in PvE

If you want more info, feel free to PM me about it

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: I4AT
Age of Conan?

because its a massively multiplayer online game, not a massively multiplayer grouping only online game. maybe he wants to play in a game world where the other characters are other people and can have conversations with them, trade with them, and group if he wants to.

there's no part of MMO that says you have to group.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Guild Wars isn't an MMO any more than Diablo II is an MMO. Play Age of Conan or WoW on PVE servers.

imported_Section8

Aug 1, 2006
I was a wow head for a couple of years and played Guildwars for years as well. AoC is a refreshing change. Has some aspects of both games. If you have not played Guild wars, pick it up cheap and play through it. It is a great game. I chose a PvE server in AoC and I really like the solo/group play and the story line. If you happen to be a mature player, you may not enjoy WoW.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckem
... ganking...

gankers... gank...

It'd be great if people would stop using this word. Anytime would be fine :frown:

And based on your desires listed here, EQ2 or LotRO are probably both good bets, providing you have the hardware for the former.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: I4AT
Age of Conan?

because its a massively multiplayer online game, not a massively multiplayer grouping only online game. maybe he wants to play in a game world where the other characters are other people and can have conversations with them, trade with them, and group if he wants to.

there's no part of MMO that says you have to group.

Thank you. You summed up my whole philosophy well, better than I could anyway.

FFXI was a Massively Multiplayer Grouping Only Online game past level 12 and I detested every second of it despite making some good friends there.

I decided to pick up AoC today... my X2 6000+, 8800GT and 4Gb RAM should do ok with it. It looks the most fun from what Ive browsed at and I wasnt prepared to wait for a new MMO to come out then start playing something. I had the shakes for something RPG-like where I could have fun, get my teeth into and let loose with some primal massacring... much like WH40k DoW does for me on the RTS side.

Perhaps I am taking a risk jumping into a still young MMO but meh, you only live once ;)

schizoid77

Mar 4, 2008
Good choice. I picked up AoC last week and it is quite simply an amazing experience, I am loving every minute of it.