Looking for an EVGA GTX 670?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If you get the SC version and have issues, you can send an email to Jacob from EVGA support. They are issuing free advanced RMAs to people with bad SC cards. They send you a FTW edition card on the full size PCB with GTX 680 fan via 2 day air and hold your CC on file. Then you have 14 days after the new card arrives in which to return your old one before your CC is charged for the new card.

Thought maybe someone would be interested to know this about the SC cards. Apparently there are some issues. Mine sets the boost clock to 1175 which is unstable in some games at different times. Other people note that the voltage is not going up high enough. Some have experienced heat issues that cause artifacts and freezes etc. However, even with all that EVGA is going out of their way to make it right by offering to upgrade your card at their expense. You get a free return shipping label with the new card.

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
If you get the SC version and have issues, you can send an email to Jacob from EVGA support. They are issuing free advanced RMAs to people with bad SC cards. They send you a FTW edition card on the full size PCB with GTX 680 fan via 2 day air and hold your CC on file. Then you have 14 days after the new card arrives in which to return your old one before your CC is charged for the new card.

Thought maybe someone would be interested to know this about the SC cards. Apparently there are some issues. Mine sets the boost clock to 1175 which is unstable in some games at different times. Other people note that the voltage is not going up high enough. Some have experienced heat issues that cause artifacts and freezes etc. However, even with all that EVGA is going out of their way to make it right by offering to upgrade your card.

Could the lack of voltage be deliberate to keep it out of 680 territory?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Thought maybe someone would be interested to know this about the SC cards. Apparently there are some issues. Mine sets the boost clock to 1175 which is unstable in some games at different times. Other people note that the voltage is not going up high enough. Some have experienced heat issues that cause artifacts and freezes etc. However, even with all that EVGA is going out of their way to make it right by offering to upgrade your card at their expense. You get a free return shipping label with the new card.

This would incline me to stay away from EVGA unless I had already purchased one. Had not heard other vendors had similar issues...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This would incline me to stay away from EVGA unless I had already purchased one. Had not heard other vendors had similar issues...

Cause only one other vender I know of is offering a reference design with a factory overclock (MSI). I have not followed the results of that card in particular. There's also many people on the EVGA forums with no issues whatsoever with their cards.

Besides, EVGA is paying out of pocket to upgrade your card to the next model up. More than makes up for it IMO.

I think it's prudent though to either avoid overclocked reference cards, or if EVGA is all that's available, be aware of what they are offering if you happen to have some problems.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Can't see why these are in any way better than the $400 Gigabyte board.

The Giga card has 5 power phases, 6+8pin connectors, made on GTX680 2oz of copper PCB, and comes with a quiet after market cooler. The reference GTX670 design is really underwhelming imo, especially when it costs more.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Can't see why these are in any way better than the $400 Gigabyte board with 5 power phases, 6+8pin connectors, made on GTX680 PCB, and comes with a quiet after market cooler. The reference GTX670 design is really underwhelming imo, especially when it costs more.

The reference design sucks. However, what I paid was not $400 which is the only reason I didn't order a Galaxy or Gigabyte on saturday and instead got it locally.

I totally think they dropped the ball on the reference design. Fans buzzing, temps around the small PCB hovering in the 90s (when a GTX 680 PCB spreads it out better).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Amazon will get em back too. I think Newegg gets a lot of waffle stock. What I mean is people order, then cancel and you see OOS and then in stock on a certain product in a day. Or you may have people who's CC got declined so the item goes back to the shelf.

I noticed Gigabyte cards were all gone on Sunday then today they come back in. Did they magically get a shipment at 4AM? lol

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
I really don't see any point in getting a ref card when the Gigabyte model is the same price. It seems to be superior in every way. Unless of course you really want the extended warranty/step up option.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I heard you stare at your videocard while you frag people in BF3. :D

I'll tell you what the GTX670 OC uses GTX680 standard PCB. Just order the EVGA backplate and you got yourself a Black PCB. :thumbsup:

My employee that used to work at PegaTron (ASUSTek) just informed me the Black PCB are usually the best... :thumbsup:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I heard you stare at your videocard while you frag people in BF3. :D

I'll tell you what the GTX670 OC uses GTX680 standard PCB. Just order the EVGA backplate and you got yourself a Black PCB. :thumbsup:

The OC uses the short PCB. The GTX 680 PCB is longer like the non reference cards from Gigabyte and others.

DeeJayeS

Dec 28, 2011
I got my regular EVGA 670 installed this afternoon--ran it through OC scanner and Heaven, no issues with artifacts, bsods, coil whine, etc. Have yet to really push it but my initial impressions are favorable.

EVGA forums do indicate there was/is an issue with the SC version, where they are upgrading those affected to the FTW model.

Will report back later when I have time to install my AC Twin Turbo and overclock it. For now, its naptime until D3 hits later this evening :)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Can't see why these are in any way better than the $400 Gigabyte board.

The Giga card has 5 power phases, 6+8pin connectors, made on GTX680 2oz of copper PCB, and comes with a quiet after market cooler. The reference GTX670 design is really underwhelming imo, especially when it costs more.

The cards with the full size (gtx-680) PCB are the ones to get. If I were interested in a 670 I'd grab one (or two) right away. I'm not convinced that they will always be available. I'm thinking that they have some 680 boards with no GPU's to put on them, and that's why they are using them.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Amazon will get em back too. I think Newegg gets a lot of waffle stock. What I mean is people order, then cancel and you see OOS and then in stock on a certain product in a day. Or you may have people who's CC got declined so the item goes back to the shelf.

I noticed Gigabyte cards were all gone on Sunday then today they come back in. Did they magically get a shipment at 4AM? lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg runs 3 shifts.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Props to EVGA for sending a FTW edition for $20 increase. Not a bad deal at all. Most companies would just force you to RMA, wipe their butt with your card, and send you another one from a bad pile.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Props to EVGA for sending a FTW edition for $20 increase. Not a bad deal at all. Most companies would just force you to RMA, wipe their butt with your card, and send you another one from a bad pile.

$20 increase? No...They pay shipping and ship the new card first. You ship old card back and they include shipping label. They shop via 2 day air.

No $20 anywhere.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
$20 increase? No...They pay shipping and ship the new card first. You ship old card back and they include shipping label. They shop via 2 day air.

No $20 anywhere.

All right, just what I heard. :)