Looking for alternatives to Teamviewer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

elvenwood548

Oct 15, 2012
Well I went with BeAnywhere, bought 3 Corporate Licenses for the price of one of their Business Licenses. They were quite nice, had one of their technicians doing a product presentation online for me and my two colleagues. I'm using the product and I have to say I'm quite happy with what it turned out to be, every question that I have is answered right away and they even assigned to me an account manager which means I don't have to call to the usual support line.

I really recommend these guys =)

Flopp

Feb 21, 2012
we usually provide support to multiple computers at the same time and we sometimes give formation to a few companies using Webex

Seriously if you can afford WebEx than shelling out money for good software should be no object to you. What are you doing with WebEx at a small shop?

Last edited:

gripenq7

Jan 4, 2013
Chrome Remote Desktop is looking good as a free replacement for TeamViewer.

Indeed, Google's software for remote connection is really something when comparing it with other similar paid tools. I think that it's actually now out of beta.

The great thing about it is that you can use it on a business network with multiple computers for free, which is an advantage for small businesses who are on a thight (or inexistent) IT budget. I've actually showed this to a customer and he used it for a few months, until he upgraded to a paid TV version.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I figured I'd chime back in here, since I'm still really impressed with ScreenConnect.

In the 5 months I've used it, they've probably released 3 or 4 major updates, each with useful features:

- Chat functionality
- A toolbox feature that automatically transfers an application and runs it. I use it for portable CCleaner, a couple business applications, etc.
- Two-factor authentication
- Screen/Video capture
- Full customization for the web page, the client tray icon, etc
- They even lowered the price!

I'd say that this is a company serious about breaking into the market, and with the direction they're going, they're going to be a major competitor before long. Not to mention the fact that it's self-hosted, and not cloud-based, is a big security plus for my company.

Flopp

Feb 21, 2012
I figured I'd chime back in here, since I'm still really impressed with ScreenConnect.

In the 5 months I've used it, they've probably released 3 or 4 major updates, each with useful features:

- Chat functionality
- A toolbox feature that automatically transfers an application and runs it. I use it for portable CCleaner, a couple business applications, etc.
- Two-factor authentication
- Screen/Video capture
- Full customization for the web page, the client tray icon, etc
- They even lowered the price!

I'd say that this is a company serious about breaking into the market, and with the direction they're going, they're going to be a major competitor before long. Not to mention the fact that it's self-hosted, and not cloud-based, is a big security plus for my company.

I feel the same way. They really have a great product and development strategy--- that is why I feel comfortable recommending them.

Macek

Aug 23, 2013
I have checked remote-desktop.findthebest.com and PCpro review and ended with ISL Online, they have also a Cloud version but I choosed the Server License with lifetime payment, offered them a short case study and got a nice price ;) No issues till now :)

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Figured I'd pop back in here to talk up the new update for ScreenConnect. It adds a host of new features and a better interface that I'm thoroughly impressed with:

- Now runs a SQLite database to store devices and information. This makes it a lot faster and soon will bring some awesome customization options.
- Now I can search through "logged on" users to find a specific computer quickly. No more looking at a reference sheet to see who owns what.
- Gives a desktop preview before joining
- Gives me the ability to run remote commands
- Also worth mentioning that support is excellent. I called them today for a minor issue, and the first person I spoke to must have been a developer because he knew a ton about the software and shared some really useful insight. He even showed me that most of the source code is easily accessible and freely editable.

Here's a pic of the new layout:
H8x85ls.png

Last edited:

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
Been running ScreenConnect for years and it has gotten much better with almost every update. Dirt cheap too.

- Now I can search through "logged on" users to find a specific computer quickly. No more looking at a reference sheet to see who owns what.

There has been an option for as long as I can remember to create a static name or add %username% to the name of unattended sessions. Displaying this info separate from the session name is a nice feature though. I love the fact that there are so many variables to include in session names, but for my use they're better off in the new info pane. I don't need 200 character long session names to see this info now. :D

- Gives me the ability to run remote commands

Love this feature.

- Also worth mentioning that support is excellent.

:thumbsup: Agreed 100%

While it may take them some time due to lack of resources (made up for IMO by the low price) they've included at least 5 feature requests I've made in the forums. That's not included bugs I've found.

Another great new feature is Wake-on-Lan. It's nice to have that at hand without having to launch another app.

Last edited:

ParkasaTech

Nov 21, 2013
Hi guys and gals -

New member here. I'm a one man shop and was ready to upgrade to Teamviewer Business when I ran across this thread. ScreenConnect looks like an alternative to consider, but I'm not sure how the differences between the two products relates to one guy doing part time support for friends, family and a few clients.

I have no plans to add other techs at this time and just want to "play fair" as TV puts it, with whatever product I'm using going forward. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Hi guys and gals -

New member here. I'm a one man shop and was ready to upgrade to Teamviewer Business when I ran across this thread. ScreenConnect looks like an alternative to consider, but I'm not sure how the differences between the two products relates to one guy doing part time support for friends, family and a few clients.

I have no plans to add other techs at this time and just want to "play fair" as TV puts it, with whatever product I'm using going forward. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The biggest differences in your case are:

- Price: TV is more expensive by far for the business versions. But if the free version can work for you, it'll do 95% of what the paid version does.
- Setup: TV requires almost no setup, and is entirely hosted in the cloud. ScreenConnect is a client/server application, so you'll need to set up a computer to act as a "server" and do a little bit of port forwarding.
- Features: ScreenConnect has more features than TV, and a ton of customization. TV has almost no customization by comparison, but does have a good many features.

ParkasaTech

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm fairly familiar with TV, having used it since v5, but find myself hanging a part time shingle these days. The free version is definitely sufficient for my needs, but I'm feeling a little uncomfortable getting paid for what I'm doing outside the family.

ither way, I'll have to check out SC, just to see what features and difficulties it offers/presents. Any other suggestions/guidance welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I tried TeamViewer a few times, and it was completely pathetically slow, compared to Logmein.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
UltraVNC.

Yeah, don't take this advice.

VNC had its time and place, but it's about 10 years past that and there is no benefit in the technology anymore. Besides the fact that it was ever really standardized (so there's a million options, half of which are never used), it's just insanely slow.

In my experience, anyway. I use VNC for some things, personally, but I still hate it.

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Wait, it's NOT in the past in the slightest. You can't beat that on local network, period. It's fast, lightweight (you don't even need to install it), and has lots of useful options.

Also keep in mind there are several VNCs, but some are better/worse than others. UltraVNC specifically is constantly being worked on, and now even has full Windows 8 support.

Just friggin' don't use it over the internets, it's not meant to be.

soldsoul4foos

Jul 9, 2010
Hands down my choice (and i was using teamviewer before this) is Logmein Central. If you are doing IT support work on servers and desktops, and want to save yourself a ton of traveling for stupid shit you can fix in a jiffy, this program works great. I've been using it for a year now. Also, when it's installed, it keeps all your connection info right on your web interface account page. Lastly, it is installed, but there is zero network config required. You can create and send an install link to anyone and in 2 mins you're in! Love it. Is there anything better?

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
For some more serious management, Logmein has to be bought, and it's really really expensive. And what's worse, it's subscription-based, so it's really only good for companies.

soldsoul4foos

Jul 9, 2010
Well, I did buy Logmein central. It's around 250 annually. The key is you can have unlimited 'logmein' free installations. That cost for a year, seems totally reasonable for me. I'm doing just remote control. Love it.

capeconsultant

Aug 10, 2005
Hands down my choice (and i was using teamviewer before this) is Logmein Central. If you are doing IT support work on servers and desktops, and want to save yourself a ton of traveling for stupid shit you can fix in a jiffy, this program works great. I've been using it for a year now. Also, when it's installed, it keeps all your connection info right on your web interface account page. Lastly, it is installed, but there is zero network config required. You can create and send an install link to anyone and in 2 mins you're in! Love it. Is there anything better?

Agree. LogMeIn ROCKS!