looking for a way to force win7 to do what i tell it to do?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
e.g deleting a file that some random thing (usually a thumbnail file or something) has in use? same for renaming.

is there a way to add an option when windows says that it can't that says something akin to "fucking do it anyway!" :wub:

it's really annoying and i end up running a chkdsk to force a dismount and to sever any locks on the file/folder. then i can usually do what i want but it's really annoying and time consuming on a huge drive.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just kill the process using the file, its what i do.

Or I'll boot into linux and do all the file deleteing i need to from there.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
killing explorer (if it's a thumbnail) isn't ideal. rebooting is an even worse idea than a dismount. plus i'd have to canx any encodes etc i'm doing at the time :(

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
ta, but eset nod32 says there's a trojan in that?

grabbed lock hunter though.

is there an app that can tie into such activities like renaming, move, delete etc and if the files locked, present an option as part of the popup dialogue to unlock that file/folder?

to save having to then run a separate program and search (really, this should be built into windows).

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Cedrick "Nitch" Collomb is the author of this very excellent little piece of software. Here's a link to his actual (no viruses) website: Unlocker

Last edited:

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
ta, but eset nod32 says there's a trojan in that?

grabbed lock hunter though.

is there an app that can tie into such activities like renaming, move, delete etc and if the files locked, present an option as part of the popup dialogue to unlock that file/folder?

to save having to then run a separate program and search (really, this should be built into windows).

Unlocker runs in the system tray. When you try to delete a file and windows pops up a dialog saying you can't, just close that dialog box and Unlocker will automatically open it's own window. There it show what processes are locking that file. Just click on "unlock all", then click "OK" to close the Unlocker window. Now you can delete the file. Unlocker is also accessible as a right-click context menu selection that gives the options: "No Action", "Delete", "Rename", or "Move".

Last edited:

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
the prob is, nod32 says it's got a trojan in the versiion linked to earlier :eek:

Unlocker uses API hooks, similar to a lot of viruses, in order to disable Windows processes that keep you from being able to manipulate that file the way you want. I run NOD32 v5.0.95.0/virus signature 6722, and it doesn't complain about Unlocker at all.

I've run Unlocker (downloaded ONLY from Collombs website) for over eight years. It is NOT a virus or trojan. I can't say what you've downloaded from some other site. Download Unlocker v1.9.1 from the link I posted and if your NOD32 complains just go into advanced setup and set an exception for Unlocker. It's just a false-positive. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unlocker uses API hooks, similar to a lot of viruses, in order to disable Windows processes that keep you from being able to manipulate that file the way you want. I run NOD32 v5.0.95.0/virus signature 6722, and it doesn't complain about Unlocker at all.

I've run Unlocker (downloaded ONLY from Collombs website) for over eight years. It is NOT a virus. I can't say what you've downloaded from some other site. Download Unlocker v1.9.1 from the link I posted and if your NOD32 complains just go into advanced setup and set an exception for Unlocker. It's just a false-positive. :thumbsup:

Yup, unlocker is a great program. Filehippo is a legit site. Try disabling nod32 and downloading from the second link. Like Bubba says, it's hooking the kernel and some AV program get nervous when they see that.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Note: Unlocker comes in 2 "flavors": 32-bit & 64-bit. Use the correct one for your operating system version.