Looking for a Small Carry Gun

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: merlocka
Originally posted by: thepd7
Alcohol is a depressant, you don't have to be worried about that. Speed, maybe, but you can still feel pain. The only drug you really have to be worried about is PCP and if they are doped up on that NOTHING will stop them. There was a story a while back about 2 guys on PCP that starting hacking at each other with axes. They were both bleeding profusely but due to the "out of body" experience of the drug neither one could feel it. A .45 won't stop anyone like that.

It's simple physics. A typical .45 load delivers about 370 ft\lbs of energy. It knocks you down when it hits you. Your state of mind has nothing to do with it. You may get back up, but you're much less threatening when knocked down.

I see that Prince already debunked this, so I'll just fly away in a ROFLcopter at the "simple physics" part.

:roll: He's quoting no name physicists with junk science. Benjamin Robins? Isaac Newton? Get me something from Steven Hawking about bullets and I might believe it. Until then, I've never seen a 1 pound weight dropped from 6 feet kill a man.

Oh, and for your continued debunking I was quoting the FBI research paper on ballistics, still considered the industry standard and quoted by all experts in the field.

Have a good day being wrong.

The FBI never even shoots people! They're beaureacrats with guns.

O
Rly?

Both of those were well known BATF stings. I do think an FBI agent drove the tank through the Brand Dividian compound though.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Alcohol is a depressant, you don't have to be worried about that. Speed, maybe, but you can still feel pain. The only drug you really have to be worried about is PCP and if they are doped up on that NOTHING will stop them. There was a story a while back about 2 guys on PCP that starting hacking at each other with axes. They were both bleeding profusely but due to the "out of body" experience of the drug neither one could feel it. A .45 won't stop anyone like that.

It's simple physics. A typical .45 load delivers about 370 ft\lbs of energy. It knocks you down when it hits you. Your state of mind has nothing to do with it. You may get back up, but you're much less threatening when knocked down.

Wrong, even though it might have 370 ft/lbs of energy it is a small slug less than 1/2" in diameter and about as long. It's certianly not going to knock you over from sheer force. The shock of having been shot might cause you to fall to the ground but the energy imparted by the bullet itself will not knock you over.

What stops people is tissue/organ damage, blood loss and trauma. Not the force of a bullet weighing a few grams moving at high speed. It's all about how much energy (damage) the bullet imparts to the relatively soft tissue and bone it hits.

I've shot 2 people and countless animals.

I don't need science. See my other posts in the thread for insight.

May 16, 2000

I see that Prince already debunked this, so I'll just fly away in a ROFLcopter at the "simple physics" part.

:roll: He's quoting no name physicists with junk science. Benjamin Robins? Isaac Newton? Get me something from Steven Hawking about bullets and I might believe it. Until then, I've never seen a 1 pound weight dropped from 6 feet kill a man.

Oh, and for your continued debunking I was quoting the FBI research paper on ballistics, still considered the industry standard and quoted by all experts in the field.

O
Rly?

Both of those were well known BATF stings. I do think an FBI agent drove the tank through the Brand Dividian compound though.

*BUZZER*

Try doing some research. Both had prominent FBI involvement. BATF can only become involved once the presence of illegal or excessive weapons are involved. FBI did the initial cases, mostly ran the ground show, and the sniper who shot the wife was FBI, not BATF. Furthermore I just picked the easiest two, if you'd like links to all the FBI shootings to continue to make you look like a total moron I'd be happy to do that.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Wrong, even though it might have 370 ft/lbs of energy it is a small slug less than 1/2" in diameter and about as long. It's certianly not going to knock you over from sheer force. The shock of having been shot might cause you to fall to the ground but the energy imparted by the bullet itself will not knock you over.

What stops people is tissue/organ damage, blood loss and trauma. Not the force of a bullet weighing a few grams moving at high speed. It's all about how much energy (damage) the bullet imparts to the relatively soft tissue and bone it hits.

And I've read quite a few articles about handguns, stopping power and ballistics. I do happen to know a bit about this subject and a .45 is not going to "knock" a person down.

A well placed shot can drop a person but it's not going to blow them back like in the movies.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I got one more piece to show you, my Deringer,

I keep it in the small of my back

it's a two shot, it's chrome, my initials engraved in it

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

And I've read quite a few articles about handguns, stopping power and ballistics. I do happen to know a bit about this subject and a .45 is not going to "knock" a person down.

A well placed shot can drop a person but it's not going to blow them back like in the movies.

Stopping power is a myth. It's more about placement than the round. The infamous strasbourg ( sp ) tests even stated this on the first page fo the report. If you looked at the charts in that test youd see .357 magnum, .32 H&R magnun and .45 acp at the top though. As far as I know the tests were the most complete tests ever on over 600 living subjects.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Mackie2k
Hey All,

Looking for a small carry weapon, something small enough to keep concealed easily and confortably, but large enough to have some effect.

I was think .380 or 9mm........FYI, I don't want a small Glock because they are too "chunky"

Thoughts, personal experience?

Thanks,

Mackie

I've got a permit and carry one of several guns, depending on the situation.

I don't like ankle holsters, I don't find them conformtable. So I usually carry in my front pocket, although occaisonally I use a belt clip holster.

Although I like semi-auto's, I find the engineering rather interesting, I often carry a S&W .38 spc. It's the five-shot Police Chief Special.

Sometimes (usually when going to the office where I'm not likely to encounter anybody with a gun), I carry a Barreta .22 semi-auto. It's really small and fits in my front pocket quite handily. I'm a fairly good shot and the gun is fairly acurate, so I wouldn't feel too out-matched unless they had AK-47 etc.

I really don't carry about "stopping power" when on the way to my office, I drive through a really benign area. Moreover, I really don't wanna kill anybody in town (small-town, mostly know everyone). If some drunk bad @ss makes trouble, I figure a shot to the kneecap etc will put and end to it (actually, just pulling it out prolly would, plus it's very loud, doesn't sound like a .22). A head or neck shot is possible, but like I said, I don't really wanna kill anybody here.

Traveling on the highway with my family is another matter. I carry a .357mag with spare ammo. I'm shooting to kill in this situation. I never take the .22 or .38spc. on Interstate trips. I want power and a lot of noise, and possibly the ability to penatrate car doors.

But I must also confess to bit of doubt about semi-auto's, never know when (and it will happen, the frequency of occurance is the matter in question) it's gonna "jam".

Fern

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: nutxo

Stopping power is a myth. It's more about placement than the round. The infamous strasbourg ( sp ) tests even stated this on the first page fo the report. If you looked at the charts in that test youd see .357 magnum, .32 H&R magnun and .45 acp at the top though. As far as I know the tests were the most complete tests ever on over 600 living subjects.

Is there an echo in here?

I wouldn't say stopping power is a myth. Even the report you mentioned placed certain rounds consistantly above others. I have read summaries of that report although I've never read the complete report.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

I wouldn't say stopping power is a myth. Even the report you mentioned placed certain rounds consistantly above others. I have read summaries of that report although I've never read the complete report.

LOL. I was agreeing with you.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern
Hey All,

Looking for a small carry weapon, something small enough to keep concealed easily and confortably, but large enough to have some effect.

I was think .380 or 9mm........FYI, I don't want a small Glock because they are too "chunky"

Thanks,

Mackie

I don't like ankle holsters, I don't find them conformtable. So I usually carry in my front pocket, although occaisonally I use a belt clip holster.

Although I like semi-auto's, I find the engineering rather interesting, I often carry a S&W .38 spc. It's the five-shot Police Chief Special.

Sometimes (usually when going to the office where I'm not likely to encounter anybody with a gun), I carry a Barreta .22 semi-auto. It's really small and fits in my front pocket quite handily. I'm a fairly good shot and the gun is fairly acurate, so I wouldn't feel too out-matched unless they had AK-47 etc.

I really don't carry about "stopping power" when on the way to my office, I drive through a really benign area. Moreover, I really don't wanna kill anybody in town (small-town, mostly know everyone). If some drunk bad @ss makes trouble, I figure a shot to the kneecap etc will put and end to it (actually, just pulling it out prolly would, plus it's very loud, doesn't sound like a .22). A head or neck shot is possible, but like I said, I don't really wanna kill anybody here.

Traveling on the highway with my family is another matter. I carry a .357mag with spare ammo. I'm shooting to kill in this situation. I never take the .22 or .38spc. on Interstate trips. I want power and a lot of noise, and possibly the ability to penatrate car doors.

But I must also confess to bit of doubt about semi-auto's, never know when (and it will happen, the frequency of occurance is the matter in question) it's gonna "jam".

Fern

That .22 is just more liable to piss somebody off even more than actually stop an attacker.
.380 and 9mm Makarov are the minimum acceptable rounds for carry IMO.

I like the mag capacity of a larger auto if going into a dodgey area and sure as hell don't wan't to be caught having to reload a wheelgun if the sh!t hits the fan.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Hey All,

Thanks,

Mackie

Fern

There is no such thing as shooting to not kill. Small town or not, if you're going to pull a gun, the next step is pulling the trigger with the intention of killing the person on the other end of the barrel. If you shoot an assailant in the kneecap, he can sue you, and will more than likely win (unfortunately, thanks to America's court system being the roll-over pussy type it is). Dead people have no side of the story, and dead people don't sue. It's as simple as that.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

LOL. I was agreeing with you.

Oops...my bad. :eek::laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052
Hey All,

Thanks,

Mackie

Fern

That .22 is just more liable to piss somebody off even more than actually stop an attacker.

I like the mag capacity of a larger auto if going into a dodgey area and sure as hell don't wan't to be caught having to reload a wheelgun if the sh!t hits the fan.

A .22 LR is going to do much more than "just piss somebody off". Try getting shot with one sometime. If you're speaking of .22 short, I might be inclined to agree.

As for having to reload a revolver, just use a speed clip, they are cheap and just as fast. In any case, I don't plan on a shoot-out with a militia. Even if a dozen people, after dropping 3, 4 or 5 of them, how many others are going to hang around? Prolly none. Plus, I likley may have picked up a few more weapons (the one's from those I dropped) ;) Also, being ambidextrious, I can shoot well with both hands.

But really the point is to use what you are most comfortable with: You are comforted by extra ammo capacity. I am comforted by the relaibilty and accuracy of my .357 mag Colt Python (laser-bored barrel, smooth-as-butter action, etc).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052
Hey All,

Thanks,

Mackie

Fern

A .22 LR is going to do much more than "just piss somebody off". Try getting shot with one sometime. If you're speaking of .22 short, I might be inclined to agree.

As for having to reload a revolver, just use a speed clip, they are cheap and just as fast. In any case, I don't plan on a shoot-out with a militia. Even if a dozen people, after dropping 3, 4 or 5 of them, how many others are going to hang around? Prolly none. Plus, I likley may have picked up a few more weapons (the one's from those I dropped) ;) Also, being ambidextrious, I can shoot well with both hands.

But really the point is to use what you are most comfortable with: You are comforted by extra ammo capacity. I am comforted by the relaibilty and accuracy of my .357 mag Colt Python (laser-bored barrel, smooth-as-butter action, etc).

If they are under the influence of almost anything (as is often the case) when defending yourself with that .22LR, my money is on the agressor.

A speed loader is not as fast as a mag change, which already has 2.5 times the capacity of your weapon. I also think your confidence that you can hit your targets up to 5 out of 6 times under real pressure/conditions is misplaced and you would end up sadly disappointed.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

O
Rly?

*BUZZER*

Try doing some research. Both had prominent FBI involvement. BATF can only become involved once the presence of illegal or excessive weapons are involved. FBI did the initial cases, mostly ran the ground show, and the sniper who shot the wife was FBI, not BATF. Furthermore I just picked the easiest two, if you'd like links to all the FBI shootings to continue to make you look like a total moron I'd be happy to do that.

The bustedness of your sarcasm meter has nearly carried us through the third page. Keep it up!

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999

The bustedness of your sarcasm meter has nearly carried us through the third page. Keep it up!

Must require a fine-tuned sarcasm meter.