Question Looking for a new router that can..

Nate-X

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Have schedules set for specific devices? My router now can disable wifi broadcasting during certain times but it's all of nothing. Looking for a possible option that can disable certain devices from connecting during certain periods. Thank you. :)

Nate-X

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah. Trying to find something to get the teens off late night but still keep it available for my baby's nanit and owlet. Bleargh.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
In before one of your teens somehow manages to attach a pocket wifi router and connect it directly via LAN without you knowing to bypass your parental lock.

One thing i tell all my friends...

You are not smarter then your kids, don't even try and set yourself up for a disappoint to be out foiled by them.
And you should be proud about that and at the same time worried.

Nate-X

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Lol I know my teens and they are too lazy and non driven to do something like that. They'd just sooner go to sleep. Before the baby was born I used schedules just fine. I just don't want to screw with the baby camera and monitor. Doh.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
In before one of your teens somehow manages to attach a pocket wifi router and connect it directly via LAN without you knowing to bypass your parental lock.

One thing i tell all my friends...

You are not smarter then your kids, don't even try and set yourself up for a disappoint to be out foiled by them.
And you should be proud about that and at the same time worried.

Very true. Happened with me:D

Nate-X

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
You underestimate their motivation when their gaming and/or chatting with their friends is on the line....
Unfortunately I don't. If things are taken, they mope like I just kicked a dog. Teens are definitely not like when I was younger. Not driven, hell when they have to reboot a phone to try and reconnect to the wireless rather than reboot the router, it's like I asked them to write a 10 page essay. I have mac address filtering for both wired and wireless so they can't hang any device on it. They can't even remember the wireless key most of the time. Maybe I got on the shit end of the stick when it comes to them, but I'm definitely not underestimating them lol. I seriously wish I were. They are 16 and 17 and tech eludes them. I'd love for them to prove me wrong. My wife and I have a 1 year old so maybe she will break the mold

[Removed Tapatalk Sig]
Mod. Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SamirD

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
LOL, then I sad.

Be happy they're not 29-30, living at home, working remote, gaming at night yelling into chat... and not interested in moving out...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Teens are definitely not like when I was younger. Not driven, hell when they have to reboot a phone to try and reconnect to the wireless rather than reboot the router, it's like I asked them to write a 10 page essay. I have mac address filtering for both wired and wireless so they can't hang any device on it. They can't even remember the wireless key most of the time.
I would be testing for lead paint ASAP. Those are all signs (reduced intellect, reduced drive, poor memory) of environmental lead poisoning at an early age.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I run LateralAccessDevice on my former windows desktop that is eight years old with 4 NICs, currently connected to a cheap switch to add an additional four ports (I will probably add another 4-port NIC some time for more manageability). It picks out devices by MAC address and I have the kids’ school computer set on a schedule so they can’t use the Internet after 8PM at all. DNS is set up to block adware domain names and have a schedule where the kids can’t access Youtube domain and similar stuff outside school hours. There are some other settings, too.

That software was just released 2 days ago and you're already running it?