Looking for a new game to play (online, mostly)

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
So, I have a i7-4770, 16GB of ram, and a 980 Ti. I should be able to play most any game fine at 1920x1200.

I'm looking for an online game to play. And not overwatch...

For reference, right now I bounce between CSGO and Dota 2. Both are, well, quite limiting when you play solo only. (I don't have any friends who play either) I'm looking for a good online game to play. Any thoughts? I'm really open to most games but would prefer something that's not early-access and is a relatively stable game. Preferably the game came out within the last year and has a substantial following.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I've had pretty good success with Rainbow 6 Siege, it's all the things you mention and makes for more interesting and dynamic gameplay than something like CSGO. But it takes a while to get into and is best played with buddies if possible. Early on it takes some getting used to, how the game plays and all the operators and it can feel very much like a noob stomping ground until you find some regular friends to play with who are good and you start playing Ranked mode where generally people take the game more seriously.

Also has offline (bots) and offline coop modes for practice and whatnot.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
That's a genre I'm not very familiar with. But I can point you away from Doom, which has multi-player but everyone I've seen said it's terrible, only single player is good.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Rainbow six siege is pretty decent, dirty bomb is pretty good for free and similar to CS.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
planetside 2 for fps

rift for mmorpg. Oh yea, guildwars 2 base game is now free.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Black Desert Online is supposed to have the best or top two or three in graphics in a mmorpg if you want to check out that claim.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Could try Dirty Bomb, but I expect you will hate it. :D Free though, so nothing to lose.

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Too bad you want shooty fun not an RPG or ARPG.

For an RPG, Star Trek Online just added a set of episodes set in The Original Series time.

For an ARPG, Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I never said FPS only, guys... I just said what I currently play. I play Dota 2 and CSGO because they have nearly infinite replay value to me.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
rift is a great way to get your warcraft on in a free way. Much better talent system. Raiding system on the other hand needs an overhaul. Didnt touch any of its pvp. The adventure system for leveling is great, much like FF14's FATEs.

Guild wars 2, entertaining leveling game with super cool event system, but unless you master the dodge system and how to properly talent and use your class, dungeons and raids are a steep uphill battle.

Feb 4, 2009
Heroes & Generals its F2P shooter which I usually hate but this one is balanced pretty well. Grind is appropriate but still a grind. You can get everything in game without paying but realistically you'll drop $10-$20 on some stuff.
Regarding the grind its a nice balancing tool because every round, shell, grenade, mine, rocket, tank, jeep has a cost to shoot or deploy in game money is earned from destroying tanks or capturing objectives or simply time in game. The costs make you think twice about running around with a bazooka to kill infantry or doing the spray & pray shooting method. Tanks are slow with a limited field of vision but when still are incredibly accurate.
Game feels similar to BF2 if you're looking to team up my steam name is the same as my forum name.

Starter gun is a little frustrating but after a few matches you can get something better, this is a good thing because everyone doesn't use the same load out.

Downsides: Not a ton of maps, generals portion of the game isn't too exciting, starter tanks & guns are kind of frustrating, they've made it harder to change guys in your squad.

Feb 4, 2009
The grind in heroes and generals is insane, screw that.

Its not that bad unless you want every weapon maxed with every possible load out and every badge maxed and honestly the fully pimped out weapons aren't that much better than stock. Same with the ribbons having heavyset gold is good it allows you to take one or maybe two extra hits, it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you want a fast pace H&G is not your game. Buy a game like COD or BF4.

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Its not that bad unless you want every weapon maxed with every possible load out and every badge maxed and honestly the fully pimped out weapons aren't that much better than stock. Same with the ribbons having heavyset gold is good it allows you to take one or maybe two extra hits, it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you want a fast pace H&G is not your game. Buy a game like COD or BF4.
You're high, grind for xp is insanely slow in that game.

COD has been garbage since COD 2, well 4 had its moments but started forcing action through map design.

BF 3 and 4 are okay, not as good as bad company 2.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Never said fast pace was good. Hell I played ww2 online. March 45 minutes to battle, get killed, repeat. No upgrades or crap like that.

Heroes and Generals very clearly wants you to pay. It isn't quite pay to win because as you stated you can do just fine with Base weapons. But it clearly is slow as hell on purpose to get you to buy stuff.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Insurgency is pretty good. It's slower than CS and a little more hardcore...one shot-one kill type of stuff.

Own it and have played it a lot. I liked it but I got frustrated with the classes requirement over time. If you didn't get the class you wanted then you were SOL.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If only there was an online game where you could battle other people's trash cans and vacuums.

Feb 4, 2009
Never said fast pace was good. Hell I played ww2 online. March 45 minutes to battle, get killed, repeat. No upgrades or crap like that.

Heroes and Generals very clearly wants you to pay. It isn't quite pay to win because as you stated you can do just fine with Base weapons. But it clearly is slow as hell on purpose to get you to buy stuff.

I'll agree here realistically you'll spend $10-$20 for a few months' of premium access to speed things up a bit buying the guns straight up is stupidly expensive

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Arma 3 had a pretty fantastic DLC this month (Apex).

It has a large player base and plenty of modes/mods that can be enjoyed while playing solo.