Looking for a new game for PC.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Looking for a good game that does not require a broadband connection. Single player is fine with me. I like to explore worlds and not into killing and stuff. Maybe some easy puzzles etc. Right now I am playing Tombraider anniversary and like it. If the game requires a huge patch then that is ok. I am stuck on dialup at home, but have broadband at work and can download the patch there. I also would like a game that would play good on my computer. It isn't the newest in the world, but I just built it about 3 months ago. Money is kind of tight for me so if it is inexpensive it is also a plus.

Thanks for reading.

Perry

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Although I haven't played it myself, a friend of mine is going through the exact same thing (done with shooters, played some Tomb Raider, wanted more exploration and puzzle based games) and enjoyed Syberia quite a bit. It's a point and clicker but looks pretty good, got good reviews, and you can get it on eBay in the $10 - $15 region.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
The Deus Ex games are fun. You can choose to be crafty, stealthy, or lethal. Exploration is highly encouraged.
The games can be had for $25 on steam. For the first one, you can get a Gametap account and have access to that as well as many others. :)
If you like point and clickers, give Myst a try.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
I'm seriously in love with Galactic Civilizations II: The Dread Lords Gold Edition.

The base game CG2 : DL is $20. The Gold edition sells for about $45 MSRP, but significantly less on newegg and includes the Dark Avatar expansion.

It's a turn based space empire strategy game in the Master Of Orion arena, but it is exceptional. It's graphics can be scaled down if your machine can't handle the load on the GPU.

However, it is trully a strategy game, to include economic strategy as well, so if this doesn't interest you, don't buy it, but it's not MP, doesn't have MP ability, but it's AI rocks.

Turn based games are so underrated. Everyone wants twitch, but the interfaces aren't intuitive, so turn based better mimics strategy.

Else, if you like the puzzle aspect, look into Myst, if you've never played them. Pretty much any of them are awesome. I think they are up to five issues now.

NOTE: You need to fix the URL for your system profile. It leads people to the main profile registration page, so we can only see our rigs, not yours.

Mine takes you straight to my profile, which is three weeks old now, so it's a reality.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Thanks guys, hopefully someone else will post more games that are good. I don't really like strategy games.

I just tried to update my system rigs in my sig., but am unsure if it worked.

I have Intel pent D. 1024 mb of pc3200, X1550, 250gb hard drive (7200).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Perry

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: aCynic2
I'm seriously in love with Galactic Civilizations II: The Dread Lords Gold Edition.

The base game CG2 : DL is $20. The Gold edition sells for about $45 MSRP, but significantly less on newegg and includes the Dark Avatar expansion.

If I wanted to try this, how would you recommend I go about it? Buy and install both, and start playing the expansion? Or is the expansion just like additional campaigns and you "play it via the base game"?

Apr 17, 2005
yeah try deus ex...i'm playing thru it right now and am following a stealthy approach. it really fits however you want to play it and there are usually a couple of different ways to tackle a level.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Originally posted by: Willoughbyva
Thanks guys, hopefully someone else will post more games that are good. I don't really like strategy games.

I just tried to update my system rigs in my sig., but am unsure if it worked.

I have Intel pent D. 1024 mb of pc3200, X1550, 250gb hard drive (7200).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Perry

You'll want to stick to games that are either a couple years old or not graphics intensive then. The X1550 isn't too quick, but it isn't junk, either.

Nat

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Yeah, go for the Deus Ex's. One is better than two, but two is not bad for the price. Pm sent you too.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: xboxist

If I wanted to try this, how would you recommend I go about it? Buy and install both, and start playing the expansion? Or is the expansion just like additional campaigns and you "play it via the base game"?

The expansion adds a mining factor to the game and some super abilities and other things, on top of a new campaign. I would say, get the Gold Edition, start with DL (Dread Lords) to get the hang of it because alot of people have trouble the economic side of the strategy. They go bankrupt expanding to fast into space, or not growing their population, manufacturing and markets. I've also gone bankrupt trying to grow too fast. Once you get that down, go to DA (Dark Avatar) and try that.

Don't worry too much about deficit spending in the early months. It's expected.

Also, another key factor to learning the game: learn to design your own ships because sometimes you won't get some of the stock ones until later and you'll need heavier ships ASAP to keep from getting thugged by the other cultures.

The game is designed to be modded, like NWN in a way. Some have made Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5 mods to the ships.

The game is also designed to be as flexible as possible. You could play a tyrant, an ambassador of unity, a wheeler/dealer, a shrewed entrapeneur, tech advancing civ...and the difficulty control affects the intelligence of the AI players, not the damage or production factors. You may find you're buddy with someone who is doing well and protecting you decently, then get screwed over when you get too powerful.

I've had pretty much the good guys all gang up on me when I did too much conquering. I've had minor races say "considering your history, I think I'm next, so I'm declaring war on you." I've seen the tables reversed, where it's one of the AIs that is getting too powerful and conquering, so all the other AIs gang up on it and call on me to join in.

I've had one race try to thug me, "your military is inadequate to defend you. Give us 1000bp and we'll make sure you aren't invaded...by us" and after I told him to get bent, he declared war. I beat him back to his home world with the help of another race and he sues for peace, I agree and don't have my ships back across the border when he starts thuggin' on me again. After I finally beat him into submission, he suurenders to someone else not even involved in the war.

It's been a way cool ride in this game.

Gamespot gave it a 9.0 and called it Hall of Fame quality.

It's graphics aren't ground breaking, but it is cool to zoom in on a planet and see the ships orbiting it. What is most admired about it is the depth of thinking required and the AI.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I just purchased the Build and Destroy pack off Steam.

It includes:

Civilization 4
Civ4: Warlords - Civ4 expansion
CivCity: Rome - Sim City-ish type game but in ancient Rome.
Shattered Union - RTS

All for $79.95 + tax. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I was looking for a kind of relaxing yet fun type of game. I love games like Sim City, even though Im not so great at them. I just like building cities and messing around with them. I'm not a big fan of turn based strategy games but I have played Civ2 (i think it was) and it was ok.

I like FPS games and such, but I get so frustrated with them sometimes and I have no fun at all.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: pontifex
I'm not a big fan of turn based strategy games but I have played Civ2 (i think it was) and it was ok.

Turn based lends itself better to strategy games, real strategy games. RTSs are actually tactical. RTS and FPS are being done to death and turn based is both very hard to do well and underrated.

Barzenak

Jun 16, 2007
The Longest Jouney- Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango all classic adventure games. I really dug Sanatarium too... Fallout , Fallout 2 rpgs that are worth checking out. I agree Deus Ex is a must play...

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: xboxist

The expansion adds a mining factor to the game and some super abilities and other things, on top of a new campaign. I would say, get the Gold Edition, start with DL (Dread Lords) to get the hang of it because alot of people have trouble the economic side of the strategy. They go bankrupt expanding to fast into space, or not growing their population, manufacturing and markets. I've also gone bankrupt trying to grow too fast. Once you get that down, go to DA (Dark Avatar) and try that.

Don't worry too much about deficit spending in the early months. It's expected.

Also, another key factor to learning the game: learn to design your own ships because sometimes you won't get some of the stock ones until later and you'll need heavier ships ASAP to keep from getting thugged by the other cultures.

The game is designed to be modded, like NWN in a way. Some have made Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5 mods to the ships.

The game is also designed to be as flexible as possible. You could play a tyrant, an ambassador of unity, a wheeler/dealer, a shrewed entrapeneur, tech advancing civ...and the difficulty control affects the intelligence of the AI players, not the damage or production factors. You may find you're buddy with someone who is doing well and protecting you decently, then get screwed over when you get too powerful.

I've had pretty much the good guys all gang up on me when I did too much conquering. I've had minor races say "considering your history, I think I'm next, so I'm declaring war on you." I've seen the tables reversed, where it's one of the AIs that is getting too powerful and conquering, so all the other AIs gang up on it and call on me to join in.

I've had one race try to thug me, "your military is inadequate to defend you. Give us 1000bp and we'll make sure you aren't invaded...by us" and after I told him to get bent, he declared war. I beat him back to his home world with the help of another race and he sues for peace, I agree and don't have my ships back across the border when he starts thuggin' on me again. After I finally beat him into submission, he suurenders to someone else not even involved in the war.

It's been a way cool ride in this game.

Gamespot gave it a 9.0 and called it Hall of Fame quality.

It's graphics aren't ground breaking, but it is cool to zoom in on a planet and see the ships orbiting it. What is most admired about it is the depth of thinking required and the AI.

Thanks for the write-up, man. Picked it up (Gold ed.) this past weekend and hope to dive into it tonight.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
I just purchased the Build and Destroy pack off Steam.

It includes:

Civilization 4
Civ4: Warlords - Civ4 expansion
CivCity: Rome - Sim City-ish type game but in ancient Rome.
Shattered Union - RTS

All for $79.95 + tax. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I was looking for a kind of relaxing yet fun type of game. I love games like Sim City, even though Im not so great at them. I just like building cities and messing around with them. I'm not a big fan of turn based strategy games but I have played Civ2 (i think it was) and it was ok.

I like FPS games and such, but I get so frustrated with them sometimes and I have no fun at all.

should have just bought civ4. civcity and shattered union don't seem very good. i admittedly haven't given them much of a chance yet, but so far, :thumbsdown:

imported_Section8

Aug 1, 2006
It sounds like you would be interested in the Myst series. Try google for Myst, you should be able to pick it up for little or nothing.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
See if you can find some (used) copies of games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout, or Fallout I and II, they can be completed with only a little violence, if you choose. FO I and II allow you to wipe out whole villages and become a child-killer, if you get really bored, but that's just if you feel like being evil.

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
i'd recomment gta:san andreas, it's like $20 now, you get to explore a big world but you also kill lots of people so you might not like that. I'd also recommend the star wars rpgs, knights of the old republic 1 & 2 both of which are $20