Looking for a light quick trip Camera bag

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Looking for something smaller then the larger lowepro i currently have. the large one is great if i want to take everything with me but id like something smaller to take on quick trips that isn’t as heavy. be able to take the Camera and 2-3 lenses + accessories

the Lowepro SlingShot 202 looks like it would fit the bill, but im curious if there’s anything else out there similar that i should look at. Im not married to any brand but i do like the 1 shoulder sling style

http://www.adorama.com/LPSS202BK.html

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i use a domke fx3 all the time, either quick trips or when I need both bodies and multiple lenses/flashes

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I have this: Case Logic SLRC-205 (Amazon link). Easily fits a camera, and two lenses, tripod and room for additional accessories. It's my go to bag for light hikes.

Video

caselogicSLRSling.png

case-logic-slr-sling-slrc-205-5.jpg

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
thanks for the suggestions. im thinking i might go with this

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-...pr_product_top

the case logic looks nice but a lil small and their larger models don't seem to interest me. The one i linked in my first post would be perfect if i could get it in a version the went over my left shoulder. i realize this is backwards for someone who is right handed but its just how i like to do it

the Kata has a ton of options and should be able to hold everything i want, some neg reviews about it but looking at all the pics/vids it should work out

Last edited:

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011

the case logic looks nice but a lil small and their larger models don't seem to interest me. The one i linked in my first post would be perfect if i could get it in a version the went over my left shoulder. i realize this is backwards for someone who is right handed but its just how i like to do it

the Kata has a ton of options and should be able to hold everything i want, some neg reviews about it but looking at all the pics/vids it should work out

FWIW, this is my favorate "about town" camera bag:

317BpL93qpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H5WZAQG4KP7G1H

I don't really worry about somebody taking it if I set it down for a moment and turn my back.

JR

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
edcfourms.com would be a great place to post something like this along with any other gear you must carry.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

I had that bag for a few days. It didn't work out for me. The 20 was too small to be comfortable on my back, and I'm not a large guy. It didn't help that the pack itself is pretty rigid and boxy, which makes it sit weird. The straps aren't great either.

Keep in mind that I was looking to use it for real hiking (where the straps matter a lot more) which I doubt is what it was really designed for.

I did really like the quick access and multi-function straps concepts.

...I posted some more in depth thoughts about it earlier this year on here.

Edit: Here it is.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I had that bag for a few days. It didn't work out for me. The 20 was too small to be comfortable on my back, and I'm not a large guy. It didn't help that the pack itself is pretty rigid and boxy, which makes it sit weird. The straps aren't great either.

Keep in mind that I was looking to use it for real hiking (where the straps matter a lot more) which I doubt is what it was really designed for.

I did really like the quick access and multi-function straps concepts.

...I posted some more in depth thoughts about it earlier this year on here.

Edit: Here it is.

amazon had it to me a day sooner then i thought, i messed with it a bunch today and echo most of your comments and its going back,

trying one of the X million dollar home bags next, either 5 or 6 haven't decided yet

tamrac also makes one like the kata will try that if the crumple doesn't work out

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
tamrac also makes one like the kata will try that if the crumple doesn't work out

Talking about the evolution series? My local Wolf had one, but it was a lot more expensive than the kata through B&H, so I didn't bother looking at it (and dealing with the hovering sales guy). I'd be interested to read how it compares if you end up trying it out.

I think for my hiking, unless a bag's straps are just right, full suspension will always be important.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yea was the evo series 6 and 8. I dont need anything for serious hiking and such just a quick travle bag that isnt as heavy as my other lowepro trekker that can carry a DSLR + grip and 2-3 lenses. with one being the size of a 70-200 f/2.8

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
So the 6MDH came when i was out of town for work, Played with it some last night and then today and this one is gonna be a keeper. its comfortable to wear and fits what i want and more. inside layout is very good and you can fit some large lenses in it if you need to.

took a few shots with some crap in it

put the broken D70 (really need to get this fixed and converted to IR) on a random lens for comparison, fits the D7000 w/ grip just fine

the bag next to it is a lowepro AW trekker

D70 w/ 18-70 attached, 85 1.8, 105 2.8, SB800, Sigma 100-300 F/4
DSC_1194.JPG

DSC_1195.JPG

DSC_1196.JPG

also @ mchammer187 how do you like the Singma 120-300? i always thought it was an interesting lens

Last edited:

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
POTN has a huge thread on camera bags. It's a good way to see bags loaded up.
I like the Tamrac messenger bags. The new ones have a pocket for an iPad or similar tablet.
BTW- after years of messing around sling bags and backpacks, nothing is faster than a good messenger or shoulder bag as far as getting the camera out and switching lenses.

digitard

Jan 17, 2006
www.ikuznicki.com
I have the Lowpro sling, and it's been fine. It carries around my Canon T2I w/ 28-135 lens attached. Then in the side pockets (each side of the camera) I put my 55-250 and Speedlite. Dropped the nifty fifty 50mm into the top little pocket since I had nothing to go in there, and the charger + remote goes into the larger one on the front. Been fine for me so far. I have no complaints considering everything.

I have no high quality glass so I was mainly looking for the most I could take with me pretty comfortably. In the period of 48hrs I walked around the San Diego zoo for 5hrs, then the beach, then the next day Seaworld, and had it on the entire time w/o issues.

I can say, though, I'm used to that style of bag and the sling style can be iffy on some people as it isn't your normal fit.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I have the Lowpro sling, and it's been fine. It carries around my Canon T2I w/ 28-135 lens attached. Then in the side pockets (each side of the camera) I put my 55-250 and Speedlite. Dropped the nifty fifty 50mm into the top little pocket since I had nothing to go in there, and the charger + remote goes into the larger one on the front. Been fine for me so far. I have no complaints considering everything.

I have no high quality glass so I was mainly looking for the most I could take with me pretty comfortably. In the period of 48hrs I walked around the San Diego zoo for 5hrs, then the beach, then the next day Seaworld, and had it on the entire time w/o issues.

I can say, though, I'm used to that style of bag and the sling style can be iffy on some people as it isn't your normal fit.
There are plenty of reasons to choose a sling bag, speed shouldn't be the top on the list.
Nothing beats just opening a flap.