Looking for a laptop with DVD that will play Sims 4

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, I have a Niece that lives with my mother in Florida. She has cerebral palsy and is a quadriplegic but has good use with her left hand. She had an old clunky laptop that dropped and died and is looking for a new laptop that has a DVD drive that can play Sims 4. Nothing fancy but I cant seem to find a decent one that wont break the bank. Must be SSD as she goes thru HDs like no tomorrow. Any recommendations would be fully appreciated.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Most laptops don't have disc drives, so I wouldn't recommend making that a requirement. An external USB DVD drive is $20-40. Just get a laptop that is fast enough to play Sims 4 and then an external DVD drive would be my suggestion.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Your best bet would to buy whatever laptop fits the bills spec wise, and just rebuy Sims 4 digital version (if the disc version requires the disc to be inserted to be played).

That's the only game my wife plays on a occasion, and she bought it digitally and doesn't have to worry about the disc.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222670/The_Sims_4

The base version is under $5, and the deluxe with an add-on is $17. With that game, it's the additional content that adds up (if she even wants that stuff).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Your best bet would to buy whatever laptop fits the bills spec wise, and just rebuy Sims 4 digital version (if the disc version requires the disc to be inserted to be played).

That's the only game my wife plays on a occasion, and she bought it digitally and doesn't have to worry about the disc.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222670/The_Sims_4

The base version is under $5, and the deluxe with an add-on is $17. With that game, it's the additional content that adds up (if she even wants that stuff).
That's the real answer, buy the digital and not the disc version.

However, I thought that it was possible, for Steam to pick up that you "own" the disc-based copy of several popular games, and give you the Steam / digital version.

Maybe that was just a fever dream? Anyone know more?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'd imagine the gamers in the PC gaming would know the answer to that. For me, I'm not sure since I don't really play games anymore outside of Civ 5 (which I bought digitally many years ago).

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
If you have the box code, Origin will give you the digital version so that you don’t need the disc.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought about a USB drive but being that she is handicapped and will be using the system on her wheelchair's table there is not much room for a usb device. I will look into the box code option. Thanks!

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
When you say doesn't break the bank, how much we talking? :D

Your options would open up like others have said by using a digital download. ROM drives have annoyingly been phased out. :'(