Discussion Looking for a "laptop" game

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I am looking for games to play on a laptop. Ryzen something or other with the integrated vega gpu. No mouse. No monitor. No external keyboard. Think couch gaming. Any genre will do. Just something to kill the time while the wife watches crappy TV shows.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Without knowing what specific Ryzen and Vega you have, we can't really give you any kind of real scale for which games your laptop could handle. Personally, I wouldn't think any genre other than Popcap games would be reliable for couch gaming on a laptop. I suppose if you put the laptop on the coffee table and used a wired controller, you could expand the number of games possible, but just using the trackpad is going to severely limit the number of games available to you (from my point of view).

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Nope. The hardware in the laptop is less of a restriction than how I want to play. I can't imagine playing any game that requires a decent video card that is playable on a laptop without at least a mouse. No coffee table or external peripherals at all. Just simple games without resorting to crap like candy crush. There has to be something that works okay with a track pad and keyboard. I have a gaming rig (or 3) for real games but I need somehing better than crappy phone games. I think some strategy game or turn based game would fill the need.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well, without knowing the specs and considering you already have three gaming rigs, you should know exactly what it can handle and given the amount of gaming rigs you own, you should also know where to find these games. Without any additional information, I'm going to suggest you look into Bejeweled or other Popcap games like Plants Vs Zombies.

Not much else I can offer since I hate using a trackpad for anything and the keyboard on laptops feel too restricted (big hands make it difficult to only press one key). Maybe look at some RPGs or 4X strategy games using those tags on (insert your preferred digital distributor).

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Nope. The hardware in the laptop is less of a restriction than how I want to play. I can't imagine playing any game that requires a decent video card that is playable on a laptop without at least a mouse. No coffee table or external peripherals at all. Just simple games without resorting to crap like candy crush. There has to be something that works okay with a track pad and keyboard. I have a gaming rig (or 3) for real games but I need somehing better than crappy phone games. I think some strategy game or turn based game would fill the need.

Turn based, will run on anything, can control with keyboard, and just an all-around awesome game. Game is so good people bought Vitas strictly for it, but so much better on PC now.

Here is a decent review of the original version of the game from about 10 years ago:

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Thanks.

Turns out there is a Steam community (?) for laptop games. I am going to see what they have to say over there.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
trackmania

If you can get the free one

I have been playing it for years...

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'd try a remake of an older RPG (assuming you enjoy RPGs). Something like Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Or maybe even the regular edition given the specs of the laptop.

I'd look at Gog for older games....and maybe they have a laptop forum too?

Lastly, Steam has this new feature where you can stream a game to another device. So your gaming rig does the processing, but the gameplay is done on a different device. If your laptop has decent networking and you have a strong home network, that might be something to look into. But then again, you're constrained with input being only a trackpad.

Lastly.....what about hidden object games?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
IMO, basically ANYTHING turn based will do you just fine. Basically all TB games tend to be relatively light on system requirements as a byproduct of their typically AA at best status. The one exception to this I can think of is Xcom2.

The lack of peripherals means anything twitch or precision based is out of the question.

Anything from the Civilization Series (although Civ 6 might be a tad demanding).
Really any turn based 4x game
X-com: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within DLC
All the remastered Infinity Engine Games (Planescape: Torment, Baldur's gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, etc)
Tyranny (Newer Obsidian love letter to infinity engine games with a great story and setting)
Pit People

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
maybe something turn-based then, like King's Bounty games or Endless Legends?

Dman8777

Mar 28, 2011
I play Civ 4 and Sins of a solar empire on my Ryzen laptop on the couch. I use a cordless mouse though.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I like classic strategy and adventure games when I'm traveling. My laptop has all the C&C games, Total Annihilation, MOO2, Alpha Centauri and many of the ScummVM-type games. They all need a mouse though.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'll add "The Banner Saga" to this list.

Playing through the first now, and it's just a super chill Oregon Trail meets Vikings Tactics game with an engaging story and some choose your own adventure story telling.

Nice animated 2d graphics guarantees it will run on a potato.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
wtf no, ANGBAND !!

KILL ORCS !

CAST MAGIC !

WIELD POWERFUL ARTIFACTS !!!

die because you forgot to eat !