Looking for a gym in NYC...

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Any NYers have suggestions for the best gym(s) in Manhattan with regards to price and quality? Looking for some opinions... thanks.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
where in manhattan?

Well I live on the upper east side, and work in midtown, so anywhere not too far from either neighborhood would be nice.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
does your company offer discounts to any gyms?

my company offers discounts to the NYHRC 80bucks a month, and they have facilites all over.

Im at the chelsea piers sportscenter. $139/mo

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: xospec1alk

my company offers discounts to the NYHRC 80bucks a month, and they have facilites all over.

Hmm I'm not sure if they do... I poked around the HR site for a bit but didn't find anything. I'll probably call my HR rep and find out though.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006

Jesus, $139/mo? That's expensive. This must be a The Sports Club LA kinda gym... did you have to pay an enrollment fee at the beginning?

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: forfor

Jesus, $139/mo? That's expensive. This must be a The Sports Club LA kinda gym... did you have to pay an enrollment fee at the beginning?

no enrollment fees, they say its 1500, but they pretty much waive it if you ask them to.

its a sweet gym. i checked out NYHRC, and i guess i've been spoiled by chelsea piers, so i was extremely underwhelmed by it.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: EPCrew
I hear that they have sex in the bathrooms at the columbus circle equinox.

I hear that about the David Barton Gym on 23rd and 7th as well :)

I think someone brought a lawsuit against them, because a lot of guys were having sex in the showers.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000

I think someone brought a lawsuit against them, because a lot of guys were having sex in the showers.

Yea, is was on the news just the other night. Apparently, people answer craigslist postings and use the gym bathrooms for the rendezvous.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: halik
where in manhattan?

Well I live on the upper east side, and work in midtown, so anywhere not too far from either neighborhood would be nice.

Your employer will most likely subsidize a gym - I can get a membership for $35/mo (bagless gym). I didn't actually go with it, just because the one near my apartment has a pool :)

Oh yeah that company also has a gym somewhere on 57th and it's got a pool too. Well worth the 72/mo

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Chelsea Piers is for the rich folks, heh.

I'd also double-check with your company's HR if they have programs with gyms for discounts (my company does though the gym I go to isn't part of its network). Some of the pricey big chains out there like Equinox, Eastern Athletic and NYSC Sport Clubs (membership fees ranging $60-80 per month) are okay overall but quality varies by location in Manhattan.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

whats with manhattan and gays? its a big gay magnet or something

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

whats with manhattan and gays? its a big gay magnet or something

It's a pretty open/liberal city, and is probably more accepted here than in your average American community...

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
NYSC
http://www.mysportsclubs.com/regions/NYSC.htm

Best upscale all around gym with the most locations in Manhattan.

With my company discount, it works out to be about $90 a month. If you're on the upper east side (which is where I am), there are 3 gyms to choose from:

76th and 1st
86th and Lex
91st and 3rd (with swimming pool)

Each one has the hottest women around and with the GOLD membership, you can use any gym you want. So that way, you can work out in midtown (they've got to have over 30 different midtown locations) afterwork or during lunch or just wait till you get home and work out in the upper eastside.