Looking for a Guide

Zeppy

Dec 28, 2000
I'm about to build my new system and it's been a couple of years since my last build. Does anyone know of a really good "checklist" or FAQ/Guide for new builds? Something that might include details about WinXP and how to reformat the drive properly. (Yes, in case you can't tell I'm a noob through and through.)

Also, I plan on using the case and PSU that I currently have. I wonder if the PSU I have will do the trick though. It's 300W and currently handles a system running on a MSI K7TPro2A, Duron 900, SBLIVE, Geforce2MX, HD, DVD burner, and a CD burner. I plan on moving the drives over to the new Abit NF7-S along with a ti4200 4x AGP card. Am I going to be ok with 300W or am I pushing my luck?

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
REformatting with XP is easy just put cd in drive. Run xp setup then format the partition when you get to that part of the install. Should be the part it asks where you want XP installed to.
arstechnica build guide

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Read the manual that came with your motherboard and any other hardware you are installing. I'm not sure how good Abit manuals are, but I have almost always found out what I needed to know by reading the manuals that have come with all of my motherboards.

As far as the PSU goes... 300W should be fine. You didn't specify the brand though, which can certainly be a factor.