Question Looking for a good Tomato compatible gigabit router

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Not sure if Tomato is still a thing or not. I has been a while since I bought a router. I am getting fiber internet and it comes with a modem with an Ethernet port to feed a router. Does not absolutely have to be Tomato compatible but it would be nice to have that option. My old router was nuked by lightening and most of my network gear was as well. So I am having to start over. I expect that I will do most stuff through WiFi for the time being. At some point I will start a new network. Any suggestions. We are running off AT&T cell phone internet at the moment and have been for a year out in BF nowhere, TN.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The Asus AC68U family comes to mind (AC1900, AC1900P as well). Just avoid the AC68U-TM (T-Mobile hotspot router), as it will revert the firmware to a T-Mobile specific one, and requires great care in flashing Tomato.

They will do 300Mbit/sec WAN-to-LAN, and with CTF enabled, they will handle Gigabit, but with much-reduced functionality (most of the "interesting" features of FreshTomato require CTF to be disabled).

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The Asus AC68U family comes to mind (AC1900, AC1900P as well). Just avoid the AC68U-TM (T-Mobile hotspot router), as it will revert the firmware to a T-Mobile specific one, and requires great care in flashing Tomato.

They will do 300Mbit/sec WAN-to-LAN, and with CTF enabled, they will handle Gigabit, but with much-reduced functionality (most of the "interesting" features of FreshTomato require CTF to be disabled).

I would go with Merlin-WRT for an Asus router over Tomato. He's got his own fork of Asus-WRT he merges in Asus official updates to frequently where he's done bugfixes, added features, stability improvements, security fixes, etc. It's very popular and for good reason. My main router runs Merlin-WRT right now.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Also, not asked however you might want to check out OpenWRT. I was on DD for a decade before giving Open another shot. Very impressed with its solid reliability. I would expect it to be likewise as advanced over Tomato considering the size of the dev team.