Looking for a good space game.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Back in the 90's I remember playing one of the very first Star Trek games where you'd travel throughout the universe and meet strange news races. Sometimes you'd end up in a space battle and sometimes you'd make new alien friends. It was always exciting every time a new race of aliens would pop up on the screen. The best part of the game was just the exploration. Anyway I'd love to find a new space title and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm not interested in an mmo unless it's free online play. Doesn't have to be brand new. Any suggestions appreciated.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
You might like Galactic Civilizations II. X3 is also a great space game, although more of a space combat/trading sim than an exploration game.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I have heard good things about Star Flight, although I have never played it. From my personal experience, Star Control II is the best space game that is not a TBS game (that belongs to MOO2).

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Go get Ur-Quan Masters, the PC remake of Star Con 2. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Beyond that, space game is almost as broad as 'game with swords.' Kind of hard to give a solid recommendation when the category is so broad.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Another vote for Star Control II. Try not to let the outdated graphics turn you off. Also you might get bored when you start playing since your ship won't have any upgrades and space travel will be really slow, but once you meet a couple races and start upgrading your ship the game really takes off. Its the only game of it's kind and its still one of the best games I've ever played.

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
It's not out yet (Winter 08), but Jumpgate: Evolution is gonna be one kickass space sim. It's a space mmo like EvE, but the comparisons can end there, since you actually pilot the ship, aim, ect. Its predecesor Jumpgate is actually still going on today, running on 7 years or so. Great flight mechanics, economy, dogfighting and roleplay.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: m0mentary
Another vote for Star Control II. Try not to let the outdated graphics turn you off. Also you might get bored when you start playing since your ship won't have any upgrades and space travel will be really slow, but once you meet a couple races and start upgrading your ship the game really takes off. Its the only game of it's kind and its still one of the best games I've ever played.

Agreed. Resource gathering can get tedious, but you'll have the occasional encounter to spice things up. After you get enough and put said resources to good use, the awesomeness spikes. :D

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
You should try freelancer. It's a pretty big game, lots to explore.

It doesn't use a joystick, but instead your mouse and keyboard to move around. Kinda like an FPS.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I have heard good things about Star Flight, although I have never played it. From my personal experience, Star Control II is the best space game that is not a TBS game (that belongs to MOO2).

Yeah, Star Flight is probably the best Space game I've ever played.

The problem is, the graphics are a bit dated (640x400 if that) and it's DOS based. I still pop it in once in while though.

Combat is basically one ship vs one or many ships at a tactical level. It's not really a combat game though, it's more of an exploration type game.

The MOOx's are definitely combat/conquest type games, and they're generally pretty good.

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
I wanted to enjoy X3 but that game crashed non-stop.

Wing Commander and the old x-wing/tie fighter games!

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks for the input so far. I am amazed that not one person has mentioned any of the Star Trek games.
Are none of them worthwhile?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Speaking of SC2, did you know that TFB got the nod to go ahead and start working on a new Star Control a while back? I wonder how that's turning out...

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD

Speaking of SC2, did you know that TFB got the nod to go ahead and start working on a new Star Control a while back? I wonder how that's turning out...

I thought I read that somewhere, but after SC3, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Im not a fanboy of much, but I almost considered buying a 3DO at one point just to play this game before I found out about the Ur-Quan Masters remake.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: SunnyD

I thought I read that somewhere, but after SC3, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Im not a fanboy of much, but I almost considered buying a 3DO at one point just to play this game before I found out about the Ur-Quan Masters remake.

Actually, SC3 wasn't made by Toys For Bob. Accolade/Activision took it to a different developer, which is why it sucked. Toys For Bob actually was approached by Activision about making a new game, and Toys For Bob asked if they could get enough support for it to make a "new" SC3 (or SC2+), picking up where SC2 left off.

Last word I read (mid-last year) is that Activision is still saying "maybe". TFB is currently working on a different project, but is hoping to be able to do this.

krunt

Jan 11, 2008
I can second Galactic civilizations II, there is an expansion pack as well Dark Avatar which made the game even better imho. It is more mass army turnbased then what you are looking for though, more like a civilizatoin in space then star trek (the civilization comparision is similar, but the games are obviously different)

You may want to check out Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators. Dumbest name ever, but it is kind of what you are looking for. You start off flying around in your ship and you can go do whatever you want, be a trader, a fighter, a pirate, whatever... its fun and well put together. Short on the story side but it does give you the feeling of space which i like.