Looking for a deal on a laptop

bcblair

Apr 21, 2005
Looking for a deal on a laptop. I need it for photo processing(Photoshop), wireless
and possible verizon type broadband in the future. I don't do any gaming. I want it to be able to play videos, but I don't plan on burning any on it. I will do that on my desktop.

I also have an application where I need to be able to remotely operate a desktop computer from a distance of about 75 feet. The desktop is at a nightclub and handles the DJ program. I need to be able to operate the dj program from closer to the bar, than the desktop is setup.

I guess in summary I want good enough graffix to accurately view my concert photography and to make videos look good(Probably widescreen). I also want it to be able to video out to the bars widescreen TV. I want it to not limit me on wireless/internet connectivity, whether I buy it now or can add it later. I will use it for regular business applications also, but that shouldn't push it very hard. I guess the smaller the better, but for the pictures, I probable need at least a 14" screen.

What do you think of the Dell XPS 40, it is media edition and seems to have what I need, are there others cheaper and better?

Thanks in advance.

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
i think just about any laptop will be good enough for those needs.

Perhaps you could consider the $398 hp ze2000 series laptop that will be onsale at walmart on black friday?

it has an AMD sempron 2800+, 256mb ram (you can buy another stick aftermarket), 40gb hard drive, 14in widescreen, ATI xpress200

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Unfall that hp would fall on its face.. I would go with a dell xps 140 or 170 with max ram and a 7200 drive...

Will g.

andrewbabcock

Oct 2, 2005
i9300 does everything XPS 170s do and a ton more than 140s. i9300 is a much better value. Get one like mine...

bcblair

Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ShellGuy
Unfall that hp would fall on its face.. I would go with a dell xps 140 or 170 with max ram and a 7200 drive...

Will g.

I am tryng to keep the price down. Yours seems top of the line. I would like to stay under a thousand, since it won't get that much work anyway.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: bcblair
Originally posted by: ShellGuy

Will g.

I am tryng to keep the price down. Yours seems top of the line. I would like to stay under a thousand, since it won't get that much work anyway.

See Insane3D's post in this link... just Google for Dell coupons.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=51&threadid=1728499&enterthread=y

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I would stay away from Dell. A low-end Toshiba Satellite can be had for under 1100$, and you're likely to get quality. (I have'nt used a Toshiba for a while, but most of the ancient laptops I see or Toshibas, so they can't be all bad. I mean, if their old laptops can last a decade, their new ones should last at least three years.)

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Cheesehead
I would stay away from Dell. A low-end Toshiba Satellite can be had for under 1100$, and you're likely to get quality. (I have'nt used a Toshiba for a while, but most of the ancient laptops I see or Toshibas, so they can't be all bad. I mean, if their old laptops can last a decade, their new ones should last at least three years.)

Cheesehead one question for you.... and it's not a stab. How many Dells have you had/serviced? I have worked with IT at the last two companies I have worked at and they have both used Dell exclusively with good results (over 300 laptops). By all means when it comes to desktops you can build a better system on your own most the time but their laptops are not that bad. I read you had a bad laptop made by them but you can?t say everything they have made and will make stink etc. Again not a stab but you have been posting Dell rips in this forum for weeks and all I see it based on is one bad laptop you owned. If I?m wrong let me know and please explain your seemed bitterness.

:) See we are from the same home state.

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
You would deff want more ram and i would say that you add it afterwords as it will be much cheaper than getting it from dell anyways.. The 9300 can be had for a lil over a grand with upgraded video and you will need to think if you will need a faster hdd...

Will G>

bcblair

Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dnuggett
ibook? What is the desktop?

The desk top that has the DJ program that I want to operate from the bar is a Gateway Pentium III Performance 450 with Wiindows XP Pro on it.

What about this one

$1019
Toshiba Satellite M55 Widescreen Notebook
Intel Pentium M 740
1.73 GHZ 2mb LS 533MHz FSB
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
100GB 5400RPM HDD
XP Home Ed
DVD +-RW/-Ram Double Layer
802.11g Wireless Lan: Thernet
4 USB 2.0 1 Firewire 2 S video
Memeory Card Reader

DougLee25

Dec 11, 2002
Have you looked at the AMD Turion's? 64 bit processing is going to be the new thing come 2006 with the new Windows OS. They seem to be decently priced as well. Check out the Acer Model 5002WLMI.

Acer Laptop

Link Fixed

Hope this helps.

Doug

bcblair

Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: DougLee25
Have you looked at the AMD Turion's? 64 bit processing is going to be the new thing come 2006 with the new Windows OS. They seem to be decently priced as well. Check out the Acer Model 5002WLMI.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Asp...m/oid/127526/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do">Acer Laptop</a>

Hope this helps.

Doug

What about one of these?

Acers

This one in particular or should I stick with AMD

Acer pentium m centrino

This one is by Averatec is it ok

aVERATEC TURION

or this one

Acer at newegg

DougLee25

Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: bcblair
Originally posted by: DougLee25

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Asp...m/oid/127526/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do">Acer Laptop</a>

Hope this helps.

Doug

What about one of these?

Acers

This one in particular or should I stick with AMD

Acer pentium m centrino

This one is by Averatec is it ok

aVERATEC TURION

or this one

Acer at newegg

The link is fixed in the previous post now. Nevertheless, I saw the one at Newegg that you have listed, and it says it only has a 15" screen. The one at Circuit City has a 15.4" screen. Apparently they must make two models which is designated by either the WLMI (C City) or LMI (Newegg). One must be wide screen, the other a standard 15". I believe your best deal is the one at Circuit City.

Acer @ Circuit City

The other models you have listed didn't blow my socks off. In fact, if you were going for the Pentium M, there are several deals that Dell is running with various discount codes that will put you below the cost of the models above.

As I said before, I feel the AMD Turion is more value for your money. Although there aren't OS or games out to support it yet, they are coming soon. When they do come, you'll have the ability to run them, and run them well as compared to others.

EDIT: Here's another one I found. It's the Acer 4402WLMI. There looks to be a better graphics card in in (Radeon X700), plus a 100GB HD, and a 15.4" monitor.

Acer @ Newegg

Hope this helps.

Doug