Looking for a couple of good SciFi books.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow so I'll finally have time to do a little non-technical reading (or posting on ATOT). I used to be a huge SciFi fan but it's been years since I've had the luxury of partaking in "recreational" reading. I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to who the good writers are nowdays or what the best books are. I'd like some suggestions from my fellow geekers in ATOT. If anyone should know the best books available to escape reality it should be you guys/gals.

So, some suggestions please.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I've seen the movie "Starship Troopers" umpteen times, but I haven't read the book. Is it better than the movie, as most books usually are?

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
although it may not be as serious as some other books
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is probably one of the funniest books I've ever read

HiveMaster

Banned
Apr 11, 2002
Another vote for Starship Troopers. In many ways, my favorite novel. The movie (better known as "Melrose Space") has no business being compared to the novel. The novel is infinetly better.

Dune, House Atreides or Dune, House Harkonnen are also good.

BattleBorn, by Dale Brown, is also pretty good.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Starship Troopers is very good. I like both the book and the movie, but the book is probably the better of the two.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
These are all sounding good. Just thinking about kicking back on a lounge chair in the shade and reading is making me more anxious to be on my way. Keep 'em coming.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

Red Mars is quite possibly one of the best books written about the colonization of mars. Excellent Read.

-Ameesh

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Have you read anything by Gregory Benford?

Been around a long time, not a particularly easy read but if you get him he is awesome. Try to start with his earliest stuff if you can.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I will not insult you by suggesting the Foundation Trilogy by Asimov. Possibly the best ever.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I appreciate all these suggestions, guys. I'm going to make a list and go to the book store to check them out.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: thebestMAX
Have you read anything by Gregory Benford?

Been around a long time, not a particularly easy read but if you get him he is awesome. Try to start with his earliest stuff if you can.

timscape was good.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
A Fire Upon the Deep- by Vernor Vinge
Neuromancer- by William Gibson
The Forever War- Joe Haldeman
Ender's Game- by Orson Scott Card (and all the other Ender's Series books...)

those are some of my favorites... ;)

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
I'm sure you've already read these two but just in case:

Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow

Also, possibly:

Number of the Beast (or any other number of Heinlein books)
Snow Crash (I think this is Stephenson, I get him and another author mixed up alot :)

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Neuromancer- by William Gibson
The Forever War- Joe Haldeman
Ender's Game- by Orson Scott Card (and all the other Ender's Series books...)

Ah, yes.. It's Gibson I'm always getting confused with Stephenson. Probably because they cover similar subjects and have collaborated together on at least one book I believe.

In the Ender's series I'd skip the sequels after Ender's Game unless you're really into philosophical sci-fi. Ender's Shadow is every bit as good as Ender's Game IMO but the sequel to Ender's Shadow isn't nearly as engrossing (but better than the Ender's Game sequels I think).

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Another author with the initials GB, Greg Bear, "The Forge of God" The same person? I wonder.

Other books in my library by Gregory Benford:
Across the sea of suns
The Great sky River
Heart of the comet.

Still have a room of books, only keep the hard backs, have given away house fulls but who can keep them all?

May have to reread some of these now, you have re interested me in them.

Also look for Fritz Lieber, amazing.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: thebestMAX
Another author with the initials GB, Greg Bear, "The Forge of God" The same person? I wonder.

Other books in my library by Gregory Benford:
Across the sea of suns
The Great sky River
Heart of the comet.

Still have a room of books, only keep the hard backs, have given away house fulls but who can keep them all?

May have to reread some of these now, you have re interested me in them.

Also look for Fritz Lieber, amazing.

You have a library?! I am so jealous...

All I have is a bookcase (so far). Maybe if/when I get to be your age, eh? ;)

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
In no particular order:
Ringworld
Starship Troopers
Armor (if you like vampires try Stakely's other book, Vampire$ inc, it's way better than the movie)
The Mote in God's Eye
The Starfishers trilogy by Glen Cook

For pure in-your-face military sci-fi, any of the David drake books with Hammers Slammers in it.
The Northword trilogy, another by David Drake.

Really light reading...
Aliens: Predator vs Prey
The Tek series by Shatner (aka James T Kirk), lot's of tongue in cheek humor.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
HappyPuppy, I have made a mental association of TriggerHappy with your name, and so I'm pretty sure you would like military SiFi novels. I can't recomment, one already on the list enough, Ender's Game and the rest, but if you can get a hold of the Dorsai novels by Gordon R Dickerson, you will love them I'm pretty sure. Might have to go to a library. If possible read in order.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
AtLien-

<<You have a library?! I am so jealous...

All I have is a bookcase (so far). Maybe if/when I get to be your age, eh? >>

Id trade you anytime!!!

I have a room, wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookcases but still have books stacked on the floor and I gave so many away.

Never had a home life or even my own room when I was a kid and traveled for business till I was in my early 50s. Really wish I had all the books I ever read or Id even settle for a list of them!

Just bought 5 more today!

If you have to surround yourself with something, book are your best choice!