Looking for a basic compact laser printer

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
We've had a Brother HL-2140 for yeras and the gears have now started giving us issues causing paper jams. We loved that printer because it was small, compact and the toners were always cheap.

Since it has been years since we purchased one, what is the current no brainer compact laser printer that's quiet? Budget is under $100 preferably.

Looking on slickdeals it seems Dell has some printers that are rated highly (could just be deal wise, not quality wise).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Be aware that there are many more laser printers around these days whose toner cartridges have really poor economy yields, so when doing your research that's one of the first things I'd check.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I haven't looked into this seriously lately (since my Brother HL-2140 is still chugging along :cool:), but Brothers still seem to be an excellent, if not necessarily the exclusively best, option. I certainly haven't seen anything to suggest another/other brand(s) is/are noteworthily superior in this light-to-moderate-duty consumer class and, allowing for a certain amount of inflation, they're still cheap on sale...

ETA: Fwiw, I've known of HP home/SOHO printers that held up quite well, too, though I've never owned one myself. I don't know how the cost of consumables compares to Brothers', but I will say that they cost more, feature-for-feature - ie, the less expensive ones tend not to have "real" paper trays at all (just little fold-out paper guides), don't handle output of more than a dozen or so pages at a time at all well, and rarely if ever have auto-duplexing, which seems to be fairly standard on most newer Brother models ) unlike the HL-2140.)

Last edited:

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
I also have a Brother HL-2140 and it has lasted so long it's really amazing. Based on this I would look at another Brother, but I agree with mikeymikec that the toner costs and yields are a major factor.

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Samsung 2830 series. If you find it on sale, it may go for $79, which means you're stealing it.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
regarding paper jams. I had a Brother for over 5 years. It started getting jams. The cause? The rubber rollers that move the paper simply can dry out over time, and in a dry climate, it is worse. Dry rollers are often the cause of paper jams..

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
regarding paper jams. I had a Brother for over 5 years. It started getting jams. The cause? The rubber rollers that move the paper simply can dry out over time, and in a dry climate, it is worse. Dry rollers are often the cause of paper jams..
So what do we do to the rollers?

I have a Brother HL5250DN printer. It no longer does double-sided printing. In fact, it hangs the print system when we try. It has been printing multi-page documents unreliably, printing a page on a hunk of sheets of paper -- paper-handling again. Can I fix this? Or get a new printer?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So what do we do to the rollers?

I have a Brother HL5250DN printer. It no longer does double-sided printing. In fact, it hangs the print system when we try. It has been printing multi-page documents unreliably, printing a page on a hunk of sheets of paper -- paper-handling again. Can I fix this? Or get a new printer?

How old is the printer?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I have been looking at the Brother HL-L5100DN. Any experience with this?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not replaced the drum unit yet, so it is the first thing I thought about. But the trouble is the paper feeder, so the trouble starts before the paper reaches the drum, I think.

How do you know that? It's jamming at the paper grabbing?

Replacing that roller is not that hard I would think. There is also rubber revitalizer spray you can try. Just google printer not picking up paper

Last edited:

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Howndo you know that? It's jamming at the paper grabbing?

Replacing that roller is not that hard I would think

The printer is bringing up several sheets at a time. It dose not do this consistently. It also brings up a bundle of sheets where the bundle is spread vertically, so that the printer prints the top of the page on the back sheets, and completes a page on the front sheet.

I agree that replacing a roller should be easy, and I would have tackled it a few years ago. These days I don't even know what roller to replace.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The printer is bringing up several sheets at a time. It dose not do this consistently. It also brings up a bundle of sheets where the bundle is spread vertically, so that the printer prints the top of the page on the back sheets, and completes a page on the front sheet.

I agree that replacing a roller should be easy, and I would have tackled it a few years ago. These days I don't even know what roller to replace.

Yeah check youtube videos on roller fixes. You may need to just revitalise the rollers.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah check youtube videos on roller fixes. You may need to just revitalise the rollers.

Thanks for the tip. One thing about being from the pre-Internet generation -- we don't think about using resources like YouTube.